Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

This is not my NG10 contest entry, but I thought it was a pretty cool pickup for $10 + $4 shipping.

From an eBay seller in Israel.

1548 Poland/Lithuania half-groschen of Sigismund II

I like these coins for several reasons:

One, the early dates.
    Two, they're silver.
    Three, they have a cool design (mounted knight/eagle)
    Four, they're not teeny-tiny like a Hungarian denar (my other favorite late-medieval dated coins)
    Five, they're very affordable (even in Mint State for not much more than $100).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another one I had a while back, purchased already in an NGC AU58 slab, for $98. I could've had my pick of a couple others in low MS grades (MS61, mostly), for only ten or fifteen bucks more, but I liked this AU58 more.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I like that it is an under appreciated area of the hobby.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    e

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1550 half groschen is sweet!
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see them often, never bothered though because I am afraid I would want the other denominations of this ruler.

Nice coin though.
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    An interesting coin and a great purchase.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    Here's another NG10 "alternate" I'm not entering in the contest, but which I decided to buy anyway, for $8.00 with free shipping.

It's a French copper jeton of Louix XIII, undated (ca. 1610-1643).

Obverse: laureate bust of Louis XIII left. Reverse: FORMIDO RAPACIS, lion and rooster.

The lion has lost most of his head to wear and/or weak strike, but this is still a terrific 400-year-old copper for the money. It's double-tournois size; in other words about the diameter of a US nickel. It is darker than the pictures, but is a pleasant mahogany brown color.

Obverse ~ Reverse

• Options
    This 1908 William Penn commemorative medal/fob was going to be my NG10 contest entry (it cost me only $9.99 before shipping), but I changed horses and went with something else. Still, I thought this was pretty cool for a 108-year-old item at the price. Cool design. I love the scene with the Indians and trees on the reverse, and the shape of the piece. It is roughly 25x30 mm, so about half-dollar dimensions). Might be silver but pewter seems more likely.

Obverse ~ Reverse

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    This is a great example of why I typically lean towards higher-grade world coins.

I collect numisma for the artistic quality, typically.

Higher grades reveal so much more detail than their heavily circulated cousins, typically.

The collector mark-up on world coins is less than on US coins, typically.

Regarding NGX ... doubt I will win. Either of these entries would have likely toppled mine. I'm a little nervous to see what you finally settled on! I imagine it's how the real gladiators must have felt walking into the arena. What beasts would surprise them, what weapons advantage their opponent would be given ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Love that 1550 half groschen!

Quite a few interesting pieces in this thread.

Is this the Lord M equivalent of a fierce gaze and sword slamming shield as he enters the arena? image
  • Options
    Well, I've had a preview of most of the championship entries, and while I think I've made a solid choice, I by no means think my item is a sure winner. There are some really neat picks.

Truth be told, I don't WANT to win NG10 and would rather see someone else get the trophy. But lets just say I'm playing hard for second place. image

I wasn't even going to participate as a contestant, and was going to let savoyspecial (my defeated NG4 opponent) play in my place, but Aethelred said no, I needed to be in the championship.

PS- as for my rematch with Aethelred in NG11- I will be playing for keeps in that one, as redemption is at stake! image