Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Junk Wax-What do you offer?

So I buy unopened and I seem to tick off some potential sellers from time to time with my offers. For example most recent a guy wanted to sell 2 vending cases each of 87,88,89 Topps. Now I sell a bit local, eBay, etc so I don't have a store and it would take me some time to flip it. So BBCE has these cases for $70 and completed items on eBay go for $45-$55. So not trying to insult the guy I offer $30 a case. Well he had started at $110 a case I then directed him to BBCE and eBay to let him figure out open market values and after that I offered and he was insulted, I was a con man,etc. Am I that far off base? I mean I collect but this is not material I need abundance of so mostly I'm not dying to make the deal. He also had a 88 T wax case I offered $80 on and again I'm a crook when boxes at BBCE are $8. So if you are in my shoes what is your offer here realizing it is what it is and I'm not dying to own it. Thanks in advance for your insight.
#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
#FIREDAYTONMOORE

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    you made your offer, it was rejected....You can't make the guy accept it

move on

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    I say if someone has a make an offer option in their listing, then it is open season for putting any and all offers on the table. There is no reason for the seller to get insulted or angry. I have been in your shoes before and I have been a seller of high end items with make an offer option. Now if you are contacting him and he doesn't have "make an offer" option and you are putting low ball offers out there I can kind of see his side because he isn't asking for it. I have recently started using the automatic decline option as a seller to avoid the drama and interaction altogether if someone is really low balling. Basically the EBay system auto rejects an offer below whatever price you set and you don't have to respond. eBay does it for you. I have found that trying to "educate" the seller on why his price is too high is a losing battle. Just put the offer out there, be polite, and if it is under market pricing be patient. Sometimes they came around sometimes they don't. No amount of explaining why my price is fair has ever been helpful. If the seller is motivated he may came your way
    On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Some sellers completely disregard what the going price is on something and stick to their inflated price.......Ebay is full of them.
    I call it "waiting for that one sucker price"
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. They seem to be out there. I've been looking for a 1970 Dads Cookie Perreault in PSA 10. There out there, I believe the pop is like 28 out of 100 graded examples. A whole set of 140 some odd cards in 9s and 10s sold a little while back at Herritage for something in the neighborhood of $600. The only Perreault PSA 10 on eBay for a while now is listed at $600 for just the Perreault. I message him and ask genuinely if it was a typo an if it was really supposed to be $60. He did not seem to take that as a genuine question. Then I realized he's also selling a Dads Orr 10 for $1200. At that point it's time to move on. Every time the card relists and comes up in my search list I laugh.

Kevin

• Options
    BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Ironmanfan

move on

IMF

Not trying to be combative just balancing if I'm far off base. I know all of what you said I'm just curious in the junk wax game what is a traditional fair offer. 50% retail? Less, more? Thanks for the input I guess.
    #CROWNED

#FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: sushihotwings
    I say if someone has a make an offer option in their listing, then it is open season for putting any and all offers on the table. There is no reason for the seller to get insulted or angry. I have been in your shoes before and I have been a seller of high end items with make an offer option. Now if you are contacting him and he doesn't have "make an offer" option and you are putting low ball offers out there I can kind of see his side because he isn't asking for it. I have recently started using the automatic decline option as a seller to avoid the drama and interaction altogether if someone is really low balling. Basically the EBay system auto rejects an offer below whatever price you set and you don't have to respond. eBay does it for you. I have found that trying to "educate" the seller on why his price is too high is a losing battle. Just put the offer out there, be polite, and if it is under market pricing be patient. Sometimes they came around sometimes they don't. No amount of explaining why my price is fair has ever been helpful. If the seller is motivated he may came your way

He came to me and told me what he wanted for it which was 150% of retail. I then tried to educate him hoping he realized he was a bit off. I know some will always want unrealistic amounts and nothing to do about those.
    #CROWNED

#FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I see nothing wrong with your offers. You never know what someone is willing to accept.

I love seeing the "or best offer" option, it's basically a foot in the door to a potential sale , on both sides.
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't see anything wrong with submitting an offer no matter if it is low ball.

All the seller has to do is say "No" and move on.
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    I buy lots of junk wax era stuff. You can't pay much for it. 9 times out of 10, when I do purchase this kind of stuff, the seller just wants it gone and doesn't care. They are the kind of deals you need to find.
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did nothing wrong. My offers would be low also on junk wax.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I think some sellers might not realize they have the "Best Offer" option on their item.

Either that or they're waiting for an offer that is 90% or more of their list price.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    It sounds as if you offered what you were comfortable paying. He wasn't comfortable selling at that price. He obviously is not good at negotiating based on his response.
    It's funny he would call you names based on your offer given that he has such a high regard for his stuff. Based on the BBCE price I have to wonder who the real "con man & crook" is.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with what you offered, but quoting other peoples pricing is a way to get the seller upset. Especially when the prices you show are $45 ebay and $70 BBCE and you offer $30
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    When negotiating the price of junk vending cases it's important to first establish who is paying who. Personally if I had to haul 2 vending cases each of 87-89 out of there the seller will be paying me.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BeRoyalKC

So I buy unopened and I seem to tick off some potential sellers from time to time with my offers. For example most recent a guy wanted to sell 2 vending cases each of 87,88,89 Topps. Now I sell a bit local, eBay, etc so I don't have a store and it would take me some time to flip it. So BBCE has these cases for $70 and completed items on eBay go for $45-$55. So not trying to insult the guy I offer $30 a case. Well he had started at $110 a case I then directed him to BBCE and eBay to let him figure out open market values and after that I offered and he was insulted, I was a con man,etc. Am I that far off base? I mean I collect but this is not material I need abundance of so mostly I'm not dying to make the deal. He also had a 88 T wax case I offered $80 on and again I'm a crook when boxes at BBCE are $8. So if you are in my shoes what is your offer here realizing it is what it is and I'm not dying to own it. Thanks in advance for your insight.

It's not insulting to offer what you feel they're worth, but when you start listing off what they're auctioning off for on eBay and what other sellers have them listed for - I can understand why some would be insulted. It's not appropriate or necessary to do when you can just buy it at auction or from bbce - but you're not going to do that because you want it for basically nothing. Walk up to a guy at a table at the National who has a $110 case and tell him the guy at the table next to him has the same case for $70 but you'll buy his for $30. It's pretty messed-up.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he wanted for it which was 150% of retail.

Anyone asking that might easily be insulted?

Ya did nothing wrong making what you saw as a rational offer IMO. Thought you were lowballing him tho.

Don't think ya gonna be invited over for Thanksgiving dinner anytime soon tho. image
    Mike
  • Options
    $30 wouldn't even cover the shipping cost of the case.
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Ironmanfan

move on

IMF

What he said. Stop trying to put down the guy for not being as smart as you. He did not want your money. Move on to another seller.
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JWBlue

Personally I don't see anything wrong with submitting an offer no matter if it is low ball.

All the seller has to do is say "No" and move on.

+1 to both

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a fair offer for sure as it is junk wax. Just out of curiosity have you been able to buy these at 30.00 a case before?
  • Options
    flash300flash300 Posts: 138 ✭✭
    plenty out there at that level
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I don't understand?

But, BBCEx "buy" prices for 87-89T vending cases are 30 bucks respectively.

So, offering someone a wholesale price when they're trying to retail them won't work for the seller.

So, I'll stick with offering wholesale - while nothing wrong requesting - is a low ball offer.
    Mike