Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Minor set completion: 1967 Topps Pin-Ups

I just completed the not very difficult 1967 Topps Pin-Up set. The set consists of 32 posters and is chock full of Hall of Famers. I bought a partial set missing 5 posters for $50 and it took a short time to acquire the missing ones.

They are 4X the size of a card and were folded and inserted into packs. The paper is extremely fragile - almost like tissue paper and the posters are prone to tears along the folds and pinholes in the center. This particular set is in pretty good shape. Here are few of the posters:

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Daniel ... that is a nice little sub set. I put one together to go with my '67 Topps set that I put together card by card back in the 80s by going from show to show every Saturday and Sunday.

Have you looked into any of the other insert sets from the 60's? They are not that expensive and can be a lot of fun putting together.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Nice set, congrats! How will you store it?

I had a chance to buy a partial set (23) for $80 and I passed. Didn't really know if that was a good price. From memory I know it included mantle, Mays, Aaron, yaz, santo. Don't remember if it had Clemente or Drysdale, I just skimmed. Most were in decent condition. Yaz had a pinhole. Whattaya think, was that a good price or no?
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The storage solution is easy.I have them in 2 pocket plastic sheets (they fit just right) and the sheets are in a half inch binder. As for other insert stuff, I've always been attracted to them and you're right, Doug, they do come pretty cheap for the most part. Another quick easy set is the 1969 Deckle Edge inserts.
    Daniel
  • Options
    Or 1968 Topps game.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Try doing the O-Pee-Chee version next image

As you said, these are very fragile. Most are found with small tears along the fold lines.

Centering is also an issue.
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2020 6:25AM

At what submission level/service do these pin ups get graded with? Are they considered jumbo where the cheapest grading fee is $40 in bulk? Seems that most grades PSA 6 and below would be eaten completely by the fees if that is the case, and these are damn hard to get in NM+ grade. Are there other options to grade these?

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2020 7:09AM

@secretstash said:
    At what submission level/service do these pin ups get graded with? Are they considered jumbo where the cheapest grading fee is $40 in bulk? Seems that most grades PSA 6 and below would be eaten completely by the fees if that is the case, and these are damn hard to get in NM+ grade. Are there other options to grade these?

These are supersize, so smaller than jumbo. They’ve been grading these for many years, whereas jumbo service is a fairly new service. Jumbos are usually 8”x10” or so. These pin ups measure 5x7 ish I believe.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@secretstash said:

These are supersize, so smaller than jumbo. They’ve been grading these for many years, whereas jumbo service is a fairly new service. Jumbos are usually 8”x10” or so. These pin ups measure 5x7 ish I believe.

This makes the service priced even worse. $50 is the minimum to grade supersized cards currently. Unless I am seeing something wrong? Do you see another service for these?

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still cheaper than jumbo. For jumbo you pay $40 to grade PLUS an encapsulation fee

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

High grade near impossible for this issue.

I recommend their Football counterparts issued in 1968 as well.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.