Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's going on with this 28-S SLQ?

clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got this otherwise very nice looking MS 28-S. The obverse rim is beveled all the way around, into the denticles in some areas. it does not appear to have been filed. Is this PMD or as struck? Seems like if it was ex jewelry it would take a tremendous amount of force to cause this.

imageimage
MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a little wire edge that got folded over? It looks too good to have been through a counting machine or something.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rims/edge looks like it might have been

run thru a counting or rolling machine.

I don't believe it was in a bezel, and the obv.

side rims are too rough to be 'as struck', from

what I can see in your photos.........

Could be from something else too -
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it looks like it was in a bezel. It looks to be a classic case of what a bezel would do to just the rims. I could be wrong but it's my opinion. PMD
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if mint-made or not. A similar effect can be found on many (I would even say most) 1921-S Morgan dollars and 1920's S-mint Peace dollars. In fact, the rims are usually so beveled you can tell an S-mint just from the obverse.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    I have been looking in heritage auction archives and it is actually harder to find one WITHOUT this rim feature than with it.

Coinfacts Link
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rim of your coin looks 100% normal. Only thing else is the clash mark.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Insider2
    The rim of your coin looks 100% normal. Only thing else is the clash mark.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Not normal by any stretch.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    This is the only one I could find on HA archives that had a newer style pronged holder.

This particular coin is an NGC 65FH.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file