Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

2 Tips to Not repeat on ebay...

So if you have really nice notes that grade 68PPQ I would recommend:

1. Listing them in the right category - (Not in the bullion section)

2. Not cropping a 68PPQ holder out of the MAIN photo - (don't make the note look raw to those who don't click within the listing)

Otherwise someone ends up winning this SET for $170 when the last sales on HA are $200+ for 1...

It was sold by a coin dealer on the west coast... I paid $26 for the $3 note and that is basically theft...image

Comments

• logger7logger7 Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another reason to never auction stuff off on ebay unless you have a significant following, do the listings 100% correctly and/or have a sufficient reserve.

I learned the lesson after losing 20% plus on items many times. In one case I had a certified note that I was contacted on a forum the night before offering me thousands more than it hammered at. The dealer who bought it later told me through "restoration" he was able to increase the value 4X, but not on ebay.....
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    I tell some people there are deals to be had on eBay, and they don't listen.

Oh well, all the more for the smart buyers.

Way to go on your purchases.
  • larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Wow great pick for you TigerTrader!
  • Congrats.... and yes there are deals on Ebay if you dig.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    It was sold by a coin dealer on the west coast... I paid $26 for the $3 note and that is basically theft..

You have to love coin dealers.
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm an idealistic deluded fool but I believe numismatics is one of the few stores of real money in an age of 99.9% funny money without much backing in reality. With that assumption, to see real historical numismatics even obsoletes and confederates go for give away prices is a crying shame.
  • Originally posted by: logger7

Maybe I'm an idealistic deluded fool but I believe numismatics is one of the few stores of real money in an age of 99.9% funny money without much backing in reality. With that assumption, to see real historical numismatics even obsoletes and confederates go for give away prices is a crying shame.

I agree, but alot of coin dealers don't do paper and don't care to do paper. He probably got it cheap in some deal or trade and dumped it on Ebay to sell it for whatever the bids reach.

I can remember many times that a coin dealer has told me that he was practically given the paper money I was interested in and they just wanted to bump it slightly and move it. They didn't care about it and didn't want it to sit and didn't want to put any effort into it.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    The seller is luring you in for the kill.

These are all from the same cut sheet. The $5.00 note is missing. The seller will list it for a ridiculously high price knowing you have to have it to complete the set.
  • Buy yourself a sheet of these and cut them yourself. That anyone anywhere would pay "big" money for common remainder notes just because a couple of people known as PCGS Currency call them "68" is ridiculous. But then.....
  • Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Tiger!!! image

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Woo hoo, what a score!!! At a coin show the other day, I picked up six $20 FRBN's for $28ea. lol!!!
  • mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Nice snag for sure! I have experienced coin dealers that do just that "dump" paper. Most due to lack of knowledge, others due to it being bad for business to mix coins and currency. I personally have a couple different searches for Ebay that have a good means of picking things like that out. Now Took? I would give you $32 a piece for those 20's! image
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mainejoeNow Took? I would give you $32 a piece for those 20's! image

Dang, that's instant profit!!! image

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Well done,very well done!
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lettow

These are all from the same cut sheet. The $5.00 note is missing. The seller will list it for a ridiculously high price knowing you have to have it to complete the set.

That's a diabolical plan!

But unless it went for similar money I wouldn't go for it...
    Originally posted by: Borchgrave

Buy yourself a sheet of these and cut them yourself. That anyone anywhere would pay "big" money for common remainder notes just because a couple of people known as PCGS Currency call them "68" is ridiculous. But then.....

It is hard to cut them out and end up with all 68's but certainly doable. They do not show up in 68+ in significant numbers. Regardless finding these in "high" grade is not difficult.

These are very available remainders but the great design keeps them in demand. I know I could make money on them if I decide to sell them...
  • oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TigerTrader

Originally posted by: lettow

That's a diabolical plan!

But unless it went for similar money I wouldn't go for it...

I guess John didn't want the $5 as it only graded 67EPQ. image It went for $13 but had a different serial number to the other 3.

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
    Maybe I did buy it...???

I didn't... image
  • boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few decades back thousands of these were sold in a Stacks auction in lots of 40 sheets each. I bought an odd lot of 12 sheets because the lots of 40 sheets were too expensive at about $25/sheet. Louisiana remainder sheets were $10-$15 each, retail, at the time.

There are still plenty left uncut and plenty of near perfect notes extant. They sell for strong prices mostly due to the attractive designs, not their rarity.

Congratulations on a good buy. Yes, there are good buys to be had on Ebay, but you have to do your homework.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.