Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for the Everyman collectors.

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
Curious about the premium for AU58+ coins.

Since I can't search HA archives for AU58+ grades, thought I would pick the forums brain.

Any personal experience or anecdotes regarding what the premium can be??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not done it recently, but I've searched Heritage archives for AU58+ before.

You have to select from the categories on the left side... can't just be a text search. You have to pick AU58 as the grade. Then under another section they have modifiers like Plus, CAC, Star, etc. that you can further refine your search.

Edited to add that I just tried it, and it looks like HA.com got rid of that modifier to the search so that you can refine for Plus coins only... they still have Star, CAC and Gold CAC. Not sure why they would take out that option.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost every 58+ I have purchased for my Barber 1/2 set I have had to pay a very hefty premium multiples of a non + coin. Of course it doesn't help that there are only a total of 59 graded 58+ so far.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold a 1932-S Washington Quarter in PCGS AU58+ and at the time I sold it the coin was a pop 1 and it sold almost immediately after I listed it for about double the value of a regular AU58... which was just over MS63 money for the coin.

More recently, I had a 1955 DDO Lincoln Cent in PCGS AU58+ that I sold relatively quickly. That one was a pop 10 in in AU58+ and it sold for about a 33% premium over a regular AU58 and the price was closer to the average price of an MS62BN or MS63BN.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw one in my Dime set listed for 10X what my 58 cost.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do dealers pay a premium? If so, what premium do they pay? Find the answers to those questions and you will have your answer.

Think like a dealer. Buy like a dealer.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would expect to pay MS62 prices for 58+, especially if CAC'd, even more so if it is Gold CAC'd.

Really all depends on the bidders/buyer.

If I want to keep up with the Joneses I need to secure me one!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll pay 63 or more money for Barber Half's!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheridan Downey recently auctioned an 1836 lettered edge half dollar in 58+ for $3,025 (winning bidder's maximum was $5,000). Price guide for a 58 is $850.

Lance.
  • Options
    ProfLizProfLiz Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭
    In most series, AU58+ is a rare grade - most plus-graded coins seem to fall in the MS grades. And in all Everyman sets, AU58+ is guaranteed to be the top pop grade. So AU58+'s command premiums well beyond the typical bump for the plus. My experience agrees with the others mentioned here. I would expect to pay between MS62 to MS63-64 prices for an AU58+. On the lower end for non-CAC or higher pop coins; on the higher end for CAC or pop 1/0 coins.

Edited to add:
    On the "plus" side, most AU58+ coins I've seen in my series (half cents) really are extremely nice coins. Since the plus grades are not given as often to circulated grade coins, I guess they have to be great to get the graders' attention.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the Liberty Nickels, the 1894 sold for MS65 money when auctioned at Heritage. It did earn a number one spot (only due to me not being able to find a 12-S in AU58)

Edited to add:

Here is a link to the 1894 in PCGS AU58+

1894 Liberty Nickel PCGS AU58+
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold a common date braided hair half cent for triple price guide because it came back a 58+(and the coin wasn't even all that great honestly) Guy said he had to have the 58+ grade for the registry
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dbldie55
    For the Liberty Nickels, the 1894 sold for MS65 money when auctioned at Heritage. It did earn a number one spot (only due to me not being able to find a 12-S in AU58)

Edited to add:

Here is a link to the 1894 in PCGS AU58+

1894 Liberty Nickel PCGS AU58+

Wow!
  • Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin

Sheridan Downey recently auctioned an 1836 lettered edge half dollar in 58+ for $3,025 (winning bidder's maximum was $5,000). Price guide for a 58 is $850.

Lance.

If you don't care about the registry points, the 58+ is kind of a bummer grade because of the premium that gets associated with the +. I remember the coin Lance mentioned quite well and thought, that'll go for moon money because of the +...was a little shocked when I saw the $5,000 maximum bid. It certainly would have gone for strong money even without the +...just have to wonder what it might have brought as a plain old 58 (or even a 62).
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I basically see them as slightly impaired MS64 coins with exceptional eye appeal. Extrapolate from there.......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file