Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What card do you feel is under valued.... If the Buying Group is not listening!

I know some don't want to tip their hand since they are hoarding a particular card and others may not want to say in fear of the Buying Group going after them and driving up the prices Lol..... But what card do you feel is just under valued. For me it's the 82 topps Ripken psa 10. They have moved some lately but the pop is still very low. Maybe because people don't like the multiple players cards? Have one that comes to mind?

Comments

• Options
    I'm not into multiple player rookie cards, but I still want a player's rookie card to be their first card. For that reason, I think ripken's 82 regular Topps 3 player card is his true RC and I don't count his Topps traded. If somebody wants a single player card I think you still go donruss or fleer. The traded shouldn't be considered a RC.

With that in mind, I agree his true Topps RC has room to grow. Similarly Bench and other multi players. Jim rice, Molitor's/Trammell and Gary Carter, for instance. The only multi player RCs that I think are selling at the top of the market are Rose and Ryan.
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    Dan, that you!!! Good thoughts! I like it!
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to high jack your post but what is the "Buying Group"?

Kevin

• Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    Too soon V Man Ed - you have to wait 1 week minimum between annoying posts. Thanx.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I think the multi player Topps rookie card of Bill Davis is about to take off. But not sure yet which one. And I do not care who knows it since I have them all.

And why should not traded or update sets count. Please give at least 6 reasons.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    This has become a pebble in a shoe on a day hike in the desert.
  • Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bishop

I think the multi player Topps rookie card of Bill Davis is about to take off.

Gotta 20% chance at whichever one of his rookies you go with.

But you gotta 100% chance that it will be a multiplayer card.

Poor fella.

• Options
    Funny guys! Many people have a theory that a certain number of deep pocket buyers were buying and pushing up prices on big cards like Jordan RC in psa 10 and those heavy hitters because know as the Buying Group
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Many people also have a theory about redundancy. Many people also have a theory about redundancy. And repetition, repetition.
  • Options
    Take your shoe off Travis
  • Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    Al,

Forgot to ask.

Do you know if he has any other veni/opc versions in addition to the '66?
  • Options
    raykasaraykasa Posts: 186 ✭✭
    regardless of the efforts of a "buying group" or not, several rookie cards jump out to me as cards that are undervalued/underrated:

Football: 1950 Bowman Otto Graham; 1963 Topps Bob Lily; & 1968 Topps Bob Griese.

Basketball: 1969 Topps Walt Frazier

Baseball: 1957 Topps Frank Robinson; already high, but still not high enough 1967 Topps Tom Seaver, & any Hall of Famer Tiffany or Glossy Rookie.

hopefully, I can buy these soon before this post turns the tide....LOL
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Not an OPC collector, but the 66 is the only one I know about
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I always thought the mantle rc was way undervalued.

As far as modern cards go, I'd have to say 87 fleer Jordan.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MrNearMint

I always thought the mantle rc was way undervalued.

As far as modern cards go, I'd have to say 87 fleer Jordan.

the group already hit 87 MJ....Actually there are at least two stores in which there is proof (serial #'s, mult accts, retractions etc) that show def manipulation with the 87 10's among others....

....anyways the 87 ran up into the 7k's and has since retraced back to low 5's..probably where it should be...It def shouldn't be above an '86 9. IMHO.

I think '86 (maybe '87) MJ 9s etc (not 10s currently) are and probably will always be undervalued in a sense.....its these 2 or 3 generations mantle and he also has his universal appeal on top of it....i don't think it will peak in my lifetime...But would rather have just a slow steady growth. I should probably say global appeal. Ha.

And then as the OP referenced there are the ones that we are still hoarding. I personally don't think the steroid boys are undervalued. Or at least wouldn't throw $ at them. And I kind of like and def consider the multi player cards the legit RC.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: VintagemanEd

Dan, that you!!! Good thoughts! I like it!

Just because I think you post a ridiculous amount of value/investment threads, doesn't mean I don't occasionally have an opinion on the topic. image
  • Options

And why should not traded or update sets count. Please give at least 6 reasons.

In the case of Ripken, the trades card came out after the regular issue cards. It shouldn't be considered a rookie. On the flip side, the 86 traded bonds or Bo Jackson should be considered their RCs, not 87. The 86TT came out first.

52T is not mantle's rookie because 51B came out first. 83TT is strawberry's RC, not 84.

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    I say choose your favorite basketball and football players rookie cards I like the players from the 1970s and 1980s. I think the popularity of NFL and NBA is growing a lot faster the MLB which may actually be shrinking. Our society as a whole attention span is getting shorter and shorter. These sports have more ongoing action and less down time between "plays". There are surely metrics out there to back this up which I have read and heard and since forgotten sources and such, but do a little googling and it is there.
    On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF

James
  • Options
    Thank you for the input. We will consider all items posted.
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    1989 Topps Tiffany #647 Randy Johnson.

One of the best pitchers of all time, second to Nolan Ryan on the career strikeout list, and a great looking card with a limited print run.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LOTSOS

This will explain it.
    Thread
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    1985 Nike Michael Jordan RC (PSA 10)
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SpinFadeSplash23

Thank you for the input. We will consider all items posted.

Wife just looked at me as I laughed aloud at this one and your signature. image

Originally posted by: dennis07

Originally posted by: LOTSOS

This will explain it.

Thread

Thanks for that. It was an interesting read.

Kevin

• Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    A criminally undervalued card IMHO. Jackie's "true" rookie card, 1947 Bond Bread.

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    A month ago, I posted that I thought the Banks RC was undervalued and due to be the next card to go nuts and it has definitely been getting some big bucks in the last month.

-I think high end OPC rookie cards from the 60's-80's are really under valued, but OPC looks like it will never catch on
    -1948 Bowman and Leaf Stan Musial RC doesn't get the respect it deserves
    -Yogi Berra RC
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    Yes! I strongly agree that Yogi is under valued....
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the yount rookie in high grade is undervalued compared to the brett. Lower pops. I also think the 1967 carew has some room left.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1954 Topps Kaline

1923 V145-1 Paterson Howie Morenz

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Any high grade '91 Topps Desert Shield baseball.

Then again, I'm biased.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: raykasa
    regardless of the efforts of a "buying group" or not, several rookie cards jump out to me as cards that are undervalued/underrated:

Football: 1950 Bowman Otto Graham; 1963 Topps Bob Lily; & 1968 Topps Bob Griese.

Basketball: 1969 Topps Walt Frazier

Baseball: 1957 Topps Frank Robinson; already high, but still not high enough 1967 Topps Tom Seaver, & any Hall of Famer Tiffany or Glossy Rookie.

hopefully, I can buy these soon before this post turns the tide....LOL

Great call on the Otto Graham. What's considered his rookie card?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like any of the 86 Fleer basketball rookie stars beside Jordan.

I also like the Star basketball 80's cards.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    1950 bowman is otto graham's rookie. Psa 8.5 is on ebay right now....ouch!
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1957 Topps Frank Robinson. One of the all time overlooked, forgotten or whatever you want to call what normally happens to Frank in discussions, great players of all time.
    1983/84 Star Clyde Drexler.
    1980 OPC Mark Messier.
    1984 Topps Eric Dickerson.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: craig44

I think the yount rookie in high grade is undervalued compared to the brett. Lower pops. I also think the 1967 carew has some room left.

Good call.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    1984 Topps Eric Dickerson. Good call on this one hyperchipper09. I would love to own a PSA 10.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: GoDodgersFan

1984 Topps Eric Dickerson. Good call on this one hyperchipper09. I would love to own a PSA 10.

84 FB is so hard to find not tilted. Had a hell of a time finding my Tippett. Thanks Troy!
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭
    As the roid gang inches closer to the HoF, higu grade Tiffany, leaf, and traded rookies may be a good buy....low now...hit the wave on induction
  • Options
    i agree on the Ripken Topps Traded. Especially in PSA 9
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    1993 finest refractors. They are so SP considering its 1993, they are a hobby turning point and they are amazing cards. They should be worth much more IMO.
  • Options
    1993 finest refractors. They are so SP considering its 1993, they are a hobby turning point and they are amazing cards. They should be worth much more IMO.
  • Options
    yeah I have thinking about the 93 refractors as well as the HOF 1991 desert storm cards. Good thought....
  • Options
    Actually 1991 topps Tiffany are far rarer than the desert storm. That's another good one
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    2011 Finest #94 Mike Trout RC

Best Player in Baseball
    His lowest pop major base brand RC (and the only one that qualifies as a Basic set card)
    Condition sensitive card subject to surface issues (scratches and/or print lines) and 2011 finest was notorious for choppy edges

And the best kicker... it's population is 6% of that of the 2011 Topps Update RC... and can still be had for less $$$
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    1954 Topps Gordie Howe. To me it's one of the most visually striking cards in the hobby. It's his first Topps card and is so much better looking than his '51 Parkhurst. The last PSA 8 sold for $5,600..and they do not come up for sale very often. I think that's one of the highest I've seen paid for it but, in keeping with the thread's question, the price still seems "low" for this card.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JJCTHE1

I'm sure a certain member here would be very happy to hear that, if he'd ever part with any.
  • Options
    PhilGPhilG Posts: 237 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector
    Originally posted by: JJCTHE1

I'm sure a certain member here would be very happy to hear that, if he'd ever part with any.

You rang?

• Options
    If we are going with modern, I think Felix Hernandez is undervalued. He's a great pitcher and on his way to put up some all time numbers.