Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone care about early US non-gold Commems?

claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
I find the earlier designs generally a lot more interesting, so I decided to stop at 1932. Whoa - 1932? Stay tuned . . .

I list my coins in date order, instead of the traditional alphabetical order.

I define the set as 24 coins for the basic set, and adding all the dates and mintmarks, 2x4's, stars, etc, , 37 coins in all.

Coin 1: 1892 and 1893 Columbian. Many can be found with gorgeous toning.

Coin 2: 1893 Isabella Quarter

Coin 3: Lafayette Dollar

Coin 4: 1909 VDB Lincoln Cent (and S-VDB, and 09, and 09-S) Whaaaat? Well, the coin was issued to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Lincoln's birth. I think it makes a real interesting addition to the set.

Coin 5: 1915-S Pan Pacific. A great coin IMHO

Coin 6: 1918 Lincoln. Another great design.

Coin 7: 1920 Maine

Coin 8: 1920 and 1921 Pilgrim: Another nice design

Coin 9: 1921 Peace Dollar: Yes, another commemorative in the high relief design. Many are very beautiful coins.

Coin 10: 1921 Missouri and 2x4

Coin 11: 1921 Alabama and 2x2

Coin 12: 1922 Grant and star.

Coin 13: 1923-S Monroe. One of may favorites

Coin 14: 1924 Hugenot

Coin 15: 1925 Lexington. Another nice design

Coin 16: 1925 Norse medals, thick and thin. Not a US issue, but numismatically sold with commems in the early years. Plus, I like the "Broom Hilda" design.

Coin 17: 1925 Stone Mountain

Coin 18: 1925-S California. Another favorite of mine.

Coin 19: 1925 Vancouver

Coin 20: 1926 Sesqui

Coin 21: 1926, 26-S and 28 Oregon. Who does not love this one?

Coin 22: 1927 Vermont

Coin 23: 1928 Hawaiian. One of the best designs IMHO

Coin 24: 1932 (PDS) Washington Quarter - you should have guessed it would be included by now.

CoinFacts clip: The Washington quarter was first issued to commemorate the 200th anniversary of George Washington's birth. It was the first design change for U.S. coins since 1916. It was some what of a novelty at the time of issue.

OK - what say you the forum masses and experts?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Texas, Gettysburg, Antietam, Connecticut

Collect what you want, however.

(Oh, and the 09 VDB cent isn't silver, and your avatar is more attractive than the Monroe, in my opinion)
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that you added the S-VDB and Peace dollar. By the same thinking you could add the Washington quarter and Kennedy half.

I've considered doing a set of commems, but I don't care for many of them and even some of the ones I like were shamelessly pushed on collectors. I settled on doing a box of twenty to include my favorite designs. 3 down, 17 to go. Most of mine are in your list, but not all. Here's what I came up with:

Isabella Quarter

Lafayette Dollar

Antietam (great bridge)

California (great bear)

Columbian (great map/globe)

Connecticut (great tree)

Gettysburg

Grant

Hawaiian (love the Islands)

Lincoln (Fabulous design)

Maine (by de Francisci, of Peace dollar fame)

Norfolk (cool concentric lettering)

Oregon (My commem as I live only a few miles from the Oregon Trail and in places the wagon ruts are still visible)

Pan-Pac (reminiscent of ancient coinage)

Pilgrim (My other commem, designed by my 1st cousin Cyrus Dallin, many times removed)

San Diego

Stone Mountain (best eagle out there)

Texas (love the design)

Vermont (lived there, loved it, never saw a cougar)

Wisconsin (who doesn't love badgers?)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BryceM

I love that you added the S-VDB and Peace dollar. By the same thinking you could add the Washington quarter and Kennedy half.

I've considered doing a set of commems, but I don't care for many of them and even some of the ones I like were shamelessly pushed on collectors. I settled on doing a box of twenty to include my favorite designs. 3 down, 17 to go. Most of mine are in your list, but not all. Here's what I came up with:

Isabella Quarter

Lafayette Dollar

Antietam (great bridge)

California (great bear)

Columbian (great map/globe)

Connecticut (great tree)

Gettysburg

Grant

Hawaiian (love the Islands)

Lincoln (Fabulous design)

Maine (by de Francisci, of Peace dollar fame)

Norfolk (cool concentric lettering)

Oregon (My commem as I live only a few miles from the Oregon Trail and in places the wagon ruts are still visible)

Pan-Pac (reminiscent of ancient coinage)

Pilgrim (My other commem, designed by my 1st cousin Cyrus Dallin, many times removed)

San Diego

Stone Mountain (best eagle out there)

Texas (love the design)

Vermont (lived there, loved it, never saw a cougar)

Wisconsin (who doesn't love badgers?)

This looks like my dream list of commems minus the Wisconsin

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have filled the four four spots in my 7070 with these commems;

1915-S/S Panama Pacific

1935 Texas

1936 San Diego (QDO)

1936 Oregon
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it came down to Albany, Spanish Trail, or Wisconsin. I could be persuaded.......
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BryceM

Well, it came down to Albany, Spanish Trail, or Wisconsin. I could be persuaded.......

Spanish Trail. Sold!

Mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Here ya go Mark. One that I wold like an excuse to include in the set.

Toned one from Heritage

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    dupe post - deleted

• Options
    That's a beauty CC! Like the dusty trail itself

mark
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a great set to collect.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    Originally posted by: messydesk

Texas, Gettysburg, Antietam, Connecticut

Collect what you want, however.

(Oh, and the 09 VDB cent isn't silver, and your avatar is more attractive than the Monroe, in my opinion)

Glad someone was paying attention to the copper in the set. I changed the sub-title to "non-gold" to keep it legal!

The Texas, Gettysburg and Antietam are all great coins, but issued after 1932. One could make a point to include the 1934 Texas and the 1934 Boone, but 1935 starts the Arkansas and other some other really boring designs and waaay too many date and MM combinations IMHO.

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a great set list. I like how you included the circulating commemoratives, and excluded the issues which appear to be sets in their own right.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file