Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is there any card you've needed forever but just can't pull the trigger on?

For me there seems to be two cards I've either wanted or needed forever but can't seem to find or make myself spend the cash on. A 48 Leaf Williams (I love this card) and a 55 Topps Snider in a PSA 7 for my set. The former I can never find a good deal in a nice example and the snider I just can't seem to make myself spend the 700-1000 it would cost. I just forked over crazy cash on a SGC 84 Clemente rookie but the snider seems over priced to me I guess.

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dream card would be a 1939 playball Ted Willams rookie. A true rookie card of the man
    I consider to be the greatest hitter of all time. Will hopefully get a nice looking PSA low-mid grade example someday.
    54 Aaron would be another I would love to someday own.

Have you posted a scan or pic of that Clemente rookie on any of these threads? Would really like to see it.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I have bid on dozens znd dozens of 1968 Ryans with no success. Even now, a raw VG=EX I have bidded up to $220, but gotta bail. This is one of the last cards I need to finnish up the set that I have been working on for almost 10 years. The other one is a 1955 Ted Williams in PSA 6-7. I recently scratched the 52 Topps Monte Ervin in PSA 6 off my list. I'll never get the rookie Mays, so I don't even try anymore.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    There are two that I have always just said WOW to myself every time I see them and I finally pulled the trigger on one. I picked up a PSA 9 Julius Erving rookie card just a week ago. The prices have dipped slightly in recent weeks add that was the only excuse I needed. The other is an Oscar Robertson rookie. There are actually several in the 61 Fleer set I want, but Big O is my main target right now. High grade prices are astronomical but I am waiting for a deal to drop on my lap image. You never know
    On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TheMick6
    For me there seems to be two cards I've either wanted or needed forever but can't seem to find or make myself spend the cash on. A 48 Leaf Williams (I love this card) and a 55 Topps Snider in a PSA 7 for my set. The former I can never find a good deal in a nice example and the snider I just can't seem to make myself spend the 700-1000 it would cost. I just forked over crazy cash on a SGC 84 Clemente rookie but the snider seems over priced to me I guess.

Is that the SGC-84 which the seller was asking $26900? If so...that is a beautiful card. I had my eye on that one!
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Noooooooo lol no way I could go that much! I got a break thru another collecter. If I was any good at posting pics on here I would but I stink at it and after awhile it gives me a headache. I'd have to sell my whole 53 set to get that kinda card and I just couldn't do that. I worked out a cash trade type deal since he knew I really needed a Clemente in 7 type grade for my set. I picked it up at the national. Since my whole set is PSA 7 or 7.5 I of course went and attempted a cross. I figured they have trouble crossing this type of card and it didn't cross of course. I had a stack of 54's once in SGC 84 grade and decided to try and cross, they crossed a Williams, Mays, Banks and a Berra but wouldn't budge on the Aarron. I honestly thought it was the strongest of the bunch to. I'll try again
    Someday but for now I'll have to
    live with it in an SGC holder.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did feel that way Mick until I picked up a PSA 9 63F Clemente.

I'm guessing the Snider is pricey due to being last in the set? That's a lot of dough for a 7.

The Snider player set is on my punch list - but the 55T will be a 4 or 5 for me.

Mike
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine was a Swann 75 Psa 9 RC and I finally got a nice centered one..... Here lately the longer you wait the more $$ it's gonna cost you.
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    That 63F is a great Clemente! In a 9 I bet it's beautiful. I picked 7's for my 54-57 sets cause I told myself 6-7 years ago that they be affordable lol well they are getting pricey! Thankfully I only need a few more big cards.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 63F is a great Clemente! In a 9 I bet it's beautiful. I picked 7's for my 54-57 sets cause I told myself 6-7 years ago that they be affordable lol well they are getting pricey! Thankfully I only need a few more big cards.

Best of luck with the Snider. Might be worth searching local shows for a nice raw one?

The Clemente is my nicest card in the set.

Mike
  • Options
    That is sweet! A gem of a card for sure
  • Options
    There's a 800 dollar one up at 4SC like I said its centered and all I just can't pull the trigger. Raw may be the way to go
  • Options
    1986 Fleer Jordan Sticker PSA 10
    1985 Nike Promo Card Jordan PSA 10
    1984 Topps Marino PSA 10

No idea why, but for some reason, I always hold off on buying these cards.
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA graded: 1934 Goudey Jimmie Foxx, 1971 O-Pee-Chee Ken Dryden, 1971 O-Pee-Chee Guy Lafleur, 1969 Panini Mario Andretti, and not a card but a CGC Graded Tarzan #1, Dell 1948.
  • Options
    KurtisJosephKurtisJoseph Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Can't quite pull the trigger on a 1971 Thurman Munson PSA 8. I just keep sitting back and watch them go up in price. .

Also want a Mantle 1956. Debating the PSA grade.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Yes.

(Additional information removed due to undiagnosed card related paranoia.)
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    52 mantle....just not gonna happen....ever...sigh
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63T Rose, iconic card I've always wanted, but find the floating heads design too unappealing to drop that much dough on a mid-grade example.