Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Does review = automatic reholder?

Hey all, I have a 32 Sanella Ruth Type 1 that I want to get reholdered, but I also think it's worthy of a review. The question is, if I submit it for a review, will it automatically get reholdered, or will it only get a new holder if I get a bump?

Comments

• Options
    TerwinTerwin Posts: 70 ✭✭
    No. Obvious reholder with same cert. number if you get bumped. Usually they can tell by simply looking at the card in the current holder why it is not bump worthy...but in some cases the card does not get bumped but they must take it out of the current holder for "a closer look". You can however request a new holder on the same submission as the review. I usually just write a little sticky note on the card to charge me the extra to have it reholdered. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Do they really charge an extra reholder fee if you want a card reholdered during a review whether or not it gets a bump? They are already charging you full grading price for the review, it should include a new slab if you want it!
  • Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    The short answer is no.

This was a question I sent to a Divisions Operation Manager at PSA some time back:

"Do you have any suggestions going forward as far as requesting that cards be reholdered on review orders? Up until now I've done this with a note on the submission but a large number appear to have been ignored."

The answer:

"This is not a service we offer. We try to accommodate this if it requested but since it is not a service we technically offer there will be times it gets missed. We offer a review service and we offer a re-holder service but we do not have one that is combined. I know it is a pain but it is set up that way for a reason operationally."

The take-away is that if you are sending a card for review which also needs reholdering, you should request it on the submission form. It won't guarantee it gets reholdered, but it is possible. The only certain way to have a card reholdered is to send it in under the appropriate reholder service.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    Disappointing, but thanks for the input. Now my question is, should I just crack and resub? Below are pics of the card. Looks great for the grade in my opinion, no creases/wrinkles, with the only major flaw being whatever is going on with the top left corner.

• Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    wow, that's a beauty. It must be the material missing from the top corner, otherwise that's a 7+ all year long.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    If you happen to be somewhere they are offering on site grading, they will usually do it for you if you ask politely.

That type of card is the reason I wish I had the technical confidence to crack out and resubmit. I am terrified to do it, especially for high value cards.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Originally posted by: gregmo32

If you happen to be somewhere they are offering on site grading, they will usually do it for you if you ask politely.

That type of card is the reason I wish I had the technical confidence to crack out and resubmit. I am terrified to do it, especially for high value cards.

Is it worth cracking out in your opinion? I'm not too worried about doing that since it's an old holder.

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I would. Your odds increase dramatically without the grader seeing the current number.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you decide to crack it, be very careful handling the 'card'. They're little more than thin paper and can wrinkle very easily trying to get it in a CS.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

If you decide to crack it, be very careful handling the 'card'. They're little more than thin paper and can wrinkle very easily trying to get it in a CS.

Thanks, Good advice. I'll be using a card saver 4 if I do, which should give me some extra room to slide it in. Still iffy on cracking, though.