Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Proof Roosevelt Rarity Question

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm looking at the set composition of the "complete variety set, proof" and see it includes the 1950 DDR FS-801. The PCGS population reports show only 1 has been certified (PR66).

My question is, is it that rare? And if so, doesn't that make the set almost impossible to complete? Your thoughts please.
I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a fellow Roosevelt dime collector, I have a few opinions on the question.

First of all the population on the 1950 PR Dimes is around 1,600+ which doesn't make it a rare issue. Having just 1 DDR graded makes that a unique DDR, but is it rare? The CPG variety coins have been graded by PCGS in just the last 7+ years??? If PCGS was recognizing these starting back in 1986, then ur onto something then.

If you look at the pops of some of the other CPG Roosies, there are some that don't even have 1 coin graded. The 1983 RPM and the 1967 DDO come to mind. I know PR's and UNC's are different, but you are talking varieties.

Not sure what I would call it after everything I brought up. I would say that in another 5+ years, if there are no examples added, then it is an extremely rare DDR.

I would say keep hunting for this elusive coin as there are tons of varieties awaiting to be discovered.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Stooge eloquently stated, there are a lot of varieties with none known, one known, or very few known. This is the situation in many of the 20th century series. For example, there are only 3 known 1958 doubled die cents. There are several Washington quarter varieties with none certified.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Paul and Rich said sums it up pretty good. I have been looking for the 1983-D/D and 1967 DDO for years and so far nada, but how many of those dates are out there to look at?