Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thoughts on the 2015 Topps mini online baseball exclusive

Gents

The 2016 chrome thread and talk of duds got my wondering how the 2015 mini exclusive set stands a year after selling the 1000 sets. I still have a couple in the factory shrink wrap and noticed there were none on ebay. I am I holding a sleeper?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    Three will be a 2016 Mini set this year.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Dud, same as the Turkeys
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Dud... sorry!

I love the Topps Mini product(s)... but Topps really screwed up last year putting it out in factory set form and having the sheets cut with a butter knife by their blind employee.

Centering, corners & edge chipping were a significant problem with the Mini set last year. I busted 3 sets, had a buddy that busted a couple, and seen too many other reports of these problems with the cards. I bought strictly to bust, grade and resell (with keeping a few of my favorites for my PC)... and 3 sets netted a grand total of 1 PSA 10 and 2 PSA 9's... the rest hit the trash. Massive, and somewhat expensive, disappointment to say the least.

The only value in that set is in unopened form... a collectors piece... as busting it for high quality cards is a crap shoot at best.

With that said, I'm sure I'll take a chance again this year if they put it out. Preferrably packed out boxes like prior years, but I'll chance a set too.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    The set is a dud, but the 1975 mini parallel set (which has Kris Bryant, Carlos Correa, and etc) is the sleeper. I think I have all the PSA graded 10s for Carlos Correa. Condition sensitive
    set with all the bright colors. It is a gorgeous set.

Note - the sealed set does have value. The perception of high grade cards inside as mentioned before.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they coming out with a 2016 mini?

Shane

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did alright with that set. I bought two for $208 including shipping and sold the inserts and the base sets separately. Fortunately, I got a Derek Jeter 1 of 5 that sold for $120. I netted about $285 after fees and shipping in total and kept one set of the '75 style minis. I saw that after I bought my sets, Topps had lowered the price to $75.
    Daniel
  • Options
    jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: BaltimoreYankee
    I did alright with that set. I bought two for $208 including shipping and sold the inserts and the base sets separately. Fortunately, I got a Derek Jeter 1 of 5 that sold for $120. I netted about $285 after fees and shipping in total and kept one set of the '75 style minis. I saw that after I bought my sets, Topps had lowered the price to $75.

Daniel I think I got mine at a reduced price as well and am thinking $60 each for 4 sets. I busted one and got a 1/5 Daniel Norris and 1/10 Jeter. 75 retro minis were sketchy with some dings on the premier rookies. I gave one set as a gift and have 2 in the factory shrink wrap.

Based on the comments I will store them in a cool dry place for 6-7 years and check in with y'all in 2022.

Your pal
    jr