Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Future value question... Rice vs Brett

Ok it has been a while for one of these...... Let's compare a nice 75 Brett psa 9 (not mini) that you get for $3,200 compared to 4 psa 9 Jerry Rice Rc's you could buy at $800 each......Which has more value in 5 years?

Comments

• PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I had a 23 year old co worker the other day who does actually watch sports ask who is George Brett?
  • bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    It's been a while since a VintageM Ed value question? Wow, time flies!
  • The Brett. It's a condition sensitive card in a very popular set. I can see the rice cards picking up
    A little steam and if it's actually four Rice cards to the one Brett then maybe they collectively are valued higher but I'd still think the Brett is the better card to grab future value wise. Football may have supplanted baseball as the favorite sport to watch but baseball has always been king when it comes to cardboard.
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A "nice" Brett all day, every day. One thing I've noticed over the years is that a good amount of the PSA 9 Bretts are surprisingly lacking in the eye appeal department-- PD, tilt, and centering issues. The card is also the headliner in one of the most popular sets of all time, drawing demand from singles collectors and set builders.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 919 ✭✭✭
    I know Bob..... I should do better! At least one post a week on these for sure! Lol
  • a nice brett anyday of the week.. much rather have a nice 75 than a bunch of nice 86s
    Back in the hobby after hibernating for many years... Collector from the overproduced years of 1986+
  • travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Oh. Crud. I thought you meant Jim Rice. I would have scolded you. N/M.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give me the 4 Rice 9s
    Ah..... A vote for the Rices!
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One factor to consider is the market for a $3000+ card versus $1000 card. I know there are a lot of big players out there, but the PSA 9 1975 Brett falls into a tweener category, a iconic card but not a elite iconic card.

Let's be more specific, which purchase will yield $4000 first? I'm betting on the Rices over the Brett. Following the rule of big numbers, it's going to be harder to get the Brett to $4000 than an $800 Rice to $1000. Both have had a good run and I think they are near their max value for a while.
    Mike
    If '75 Topps regular sized cards in unopened form have virtually dried up, then the expectation would be for raw examples making it into a PSA 9 holder to command quite a premium, wherever they might be discovered. I'm not certain the same could be said for '86 Topps Football if that product is still trading hands, even at a limited pace, it's still an option.

I think the Brett is getting closer to 4K, then 5K, and could still be on a higher curve than a Rice rookie card which routinely seems to appear in multiple PWCC auctions each month.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking Pork Fried Rice for lunch.

Thanx Ed! image
    Mike
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd personally take the Brett. But strictly value-wise, I think the Rices would do better.
    Originally posted by: Stone193

Thanx Ed! image

George will go with the crab legs.
  • Go with the four Rice cards.
    If I had thought about building a portfolio for future investment?

I think I would've probably considered having both.

I don't collect much FB - so I'm partial to the Brett.

Does anyone have a tracking record on the Rice card vs the Brett? VCP?

Mike
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 NFL WR all time vs #2 MLB 3B all time, seems pretty equivalent based on position.

#1 greatest NFL player all time vs #55 greatest MLB player all time, easy decision.

I don't see pops of 9/10 going up significantly for either, PSA is rough on both sets with their colored borders.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: travis t

Thanx Ed! image

Not too many will get the reference, but good try.

What was your former ID for this site, Travis?
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    Originally posted by: Darin

Originally posted by: travis t

Thanx Ed! image

What was your former ID for this site, Travis?

I think I got it?

Sorta like about the "ocean called" and the "jerkstore" bit e.g.?

Mike
    Originally posted by: Darin

You did. image
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this was going be to a be a 75 vs 75 battle, Brett vs Jim Riceimage.
    I'll be one of the contrarians and go with 86 Topps Rice x 4 PSA 9 .
  • sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Rice every day of the week. And I am totally cool with value questions.
    On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
    I think it's an interesting comparison. What if we throw in a 1980 bird/magic in psa 8 x 4 into the equation? What is the thought now?
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for brett

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.