Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My first post: The 12 Caesars

Hi All,

I thought I would start my journey on this board by sharing a picture of my 12 Caesars collection in silver. Yes, the Titus and Domitian are not in their correct chronological order.

Andrew

[URL=http://s259.photobucket.com/us...t_zpsp0avj8r0.png.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Orfew, Mat from CT. Good to see ya here.
  • OrfewOrfew Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Thanks Mat!
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see you on this side of the world! I'm AncientJoe on CT (my username here is from my US collecting days image )
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
    Good to see you too!
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome - nice looking set!
    Thank you
  • Welcome!
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I like your style........big entry with pics and all. Its the cannonball entry into the pool. Welcome and I look forward to seeing more from you.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! A complete 12C set is no small accomplishment!

I did it three years ago, with modest-grade coins.

Neat looking Nero you have there. I also like the Titus with the ship's prow on the reverse.

PS- all in silver, too? Cool.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Thanks to all for the warm welcome
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice post . ??
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Welcome. Great set of Roman coins.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Or few, It is a pleasure to welcome another ancient collector to the forums.

I love all ancient coins and history, but the first century AD is where my heart is at. I enjoyed seeing your Twelve Caesars set, thank you for sharing.

I hope that this forum will be to your liking and that we will be seeing more of you around these parts.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Thanks again to all for the kind words of welcome.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree: the 12 Caesars in denari is no small accomplishment. I am still 4 short.

Tom

@TPRC

Which ones are you missing?
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Handsome set, and welcome.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Orfew
    @TPRC

Which ones are you missing?

Julius, Claudius, Caligula, Otho.

Tom

Yep, those are tough. The toughest ones for me were the Claudius and Caligula. I was lucky to get a decent Julius portrait denarius. They can be pricey, but there are other options. Non-portrait varieties are readily available. The Otho was the first ancient coin I bought.
    Originally posted by: Orfew

Yep, those are tough. The toughest ones for me were the Claudius and Caligula. I was lucky to get a decent Julius portrait denarius. They can be pricey, but there are other options. Non-portrait varieties are readily available. The Otho was the first ancient coin I bought.

Claudius and Caligula can indeed be beastly in silver, and the latter is challenging enough in bronze!

I had the added curse of bronze disease attacking two of the Caligulas I owned. Only had two coins ever get bronze disease. Were they cheap Constantinian AE3's? Nope. Both had to be Caligulas. Go figure. I had my own personal "Curse of Caligula" for a while there.

I too preferred a portrait denarius of Julius Caesar, and got one struck just before the Ides of March. By so choosing, I had to settle for a lower grade example with a few banker's marks, but it was worth sacrificing a little eye appeal for historical appeal in that case. And I got my JC portrait coin for under 500 bucks. How often can somebody say that, right?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    @lordmarcovan

Sounds like you got a great deal on the JC portrait denarius. I too had to sacrifice condition for affordability. Like you I got mine for just under 500. Unlike you mine is not a lifetime issue, but I was still lucky to get it.
    What was the toughest/priciest one in your set?

I know Caligula in silver is tough- really tough- so much so that I never really paid attention to pricing, since I knew most if not all would be out of my league.

(I work as a hotel clerk, so my salary is barely above the new minimum wage in some places out west).

The toughest and the priciest was the Caligula. I know it is not in great condition but it was still 1000.00. I waited for months for one to pop up and when it did I grabbed it as fast as I could. There is much competition for these denarii. they are on the want lists of so many people that they sometimes do not even make it to market. There are plenty of Caligula denarii that are fakes so I bought this one from Forum. I did not regret my purchase and I trust Forum.

I got lucky with the Claudius. This one popped up last summer and I was at the right place and the right time. I managed to get this one for under 500.00. Next to the Caligula the next most expensive was the Galba I just added and then my first ancient coin, my Otho denarius.
    For me, working in bronze OR silver, Otho was the toughest, with Caligula close behind.

Again, I'll mention how much I like your newly upgraded Galba.

When I did a wider "A to Z" (Augustus to Zeno) emperor and empress set in 2007-08, I managed to have a decent Pupienus sestertius. He's another who's hard to capture under $500, as you probably know.

Have you done anything with Republican or post-Flavian Romans, or focused exclusively on the 12C?

PS- you STARTED with an Otho as your first ancient? Consider me impressed.

Nice capture on the Pupienus!

As for focus, I have decided to expand a little outside of the 12 by collecting coins from the imperatorial period. Specifically I am trying to fill the gap between Julius Caesar and Augustus. So far I have 4 coins of Marc Antony. I am always on the lookout for a nice Cassius or Brutus.

Thanks again for the kind words.