Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Crossover questions

I am a casual collector of about 40 years. Never really trade or sell,I've just been picking up cards I like here and there over the years. A while back I was curious on professional grading and sent a handful of cards to SGC to be graded. At the time I read that they were a better service for pre-war cards, I thought the case they used looked a little better and they were a bit cheaper and faster. Now I'm thinking of selling a few of my cards. When I looked at ebay I noticed a HUGE difference in price between PSA and SGC. One of the cards i'm thinking of selling is a T206 Frank Chance card. SGC graded it at ex/nm 80. On ebay the price of this cards graded by PSA for an 8 is going for $10,000- $12,000 and a PSA 7 for $6500. The same card graded 84 by SGC is going for $2500. I know these are the asking prices and not the selling prices. But, on the cards that were sold there is still a huge price difference. My questions are :

Do you think it's worth it to get a crossover grade or would it be better to break the card out of the existing case and send it in raw ?

If I do get a crossover and they re-grade it, Do they switch it over to one of the PSA cases?

I also have another example I was curious about. It is a John Elway Rookie SGC graded at mint 96. Do you think that there is any chance of crossover upgrading it to a PSA 10 or would it most likely just be a 9?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid. I really don't have much experience in the grading aspect of cards. I just have enjoyed collecting them.

Thanks in advance
Alan Holdsworth

Comments

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what you are asking with this question. You mention grades of PSA 8 and 7, but your card is an SGC 80, which is the equivalent of a PSA 6.

Your card would never cross over with a full 1 - 2 -point upgrade.

There is no chance of upgrading your Elway into a 10 through a crossover. If the card warrants a 10, the only way is to crack the case and submit raw.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Alan ... a scan of the front AND back of the Chance card would be very helpful.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Wow! I didn't realize that a PSA grade was 2 point higher on the pre-war stuff
    Alan Holdsworth
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Here is SGC's breakdown of grades. They added the 1-10 grades a couple of years ago. If yours was graded before then, then the number grade may not be on the card, but they still apply.

100 PRISTINE A "virtually flawless" card. 50/50 centering, crisp focus, four sharp corners*, free of stains, no breaks in surface gloss, no print or refractor lines, and no visible wear under magnification.

98 GEM 10 55/45 or better centering, sharp focus, four sharp corners*, free of stains, no breaks in surface gloss, no print or refractor lines, and no visible wear. A slight print spot visible under close scrutiny is allowable if it does not detract from the aesthetics of the card.

96 MINT 9 60/40 or betting centering, sharp focus and four sharp corners*. A minor flaw may exist upon close examination. A minor flaw may be, but is not limited to: a slight nick to one corner, a small gloss break or surface scratch, a minor print line or minor refractor line, a minor focus or color imperfection, or a small print spot.

92 NM/MT+ 8.5 65/35 or better centering, four sharp corners*. A few minor flaws may exist upon close examination. A minor flaw may be, but is not limited to: a slight nick to one corner, a small gloss break or surface scratch, a minor print line or minor refractor line, a minor focus or color imperfection, or a small print spot.

88 NM/MT 8 65/35 or better centering, corners sharp to the naked eye but may exhibit slight wear under closer examination. A few small flaws may exist upon close examination. A small flaw may be, but is not limited to: very minor wear on one corner, a gloss break or surface scratch, a print line or refractor line, a focus or color imperfection, or a print spot.

86 NM+ 7.5 70/30 or better centering, a few small flaws may exist upon close examination. A small flaw may be, but is not limited to: very minor wear on one corner, a gloss break or surface scratch, a print line or refractor line, a focus or color imperfection, or a print spot.

84 NRMT 7 70/30 or better centering, slight wear on some corners, minor scratching, some print spots or speckling, and print lines or refractor lines are acceptable. Card may exhibit a slightly skewed (diamond) cut.

82 EX/NM+ 6.5 An EX/NM card that exhibits high-end overall quality and eye appeal.

80 EX/NM 6 75/25 or better centering, slight fuzzing of corners may be evident, skewed cut may be more evident, focus or register may be off, and slight notching of edges may exist.

70 EX+ 5.5 An EX card that exhibits high-end overall quality and eye appeal.

60 EX 5 80/20 or better centering, minor rounding or fuzzing of corners, roughness or chipping along edge (no layering), one VERY slight surface or "spider" crease may exist on one side of the card, gloss may be lost from surface with some scratching that does not detract from the aesthetics of the card.

55 VG/EX+ 4.5 A VG/EX card that exhibits high-end overall quality and eye appeal.

50 VG/EX 4 85/15 or better centering, corners are slightly rounded with modest surface wear. Light hairline crease may show on one or both sides. A light tear or surface break may exist.

45 VG+ 3.5 A VG card that exhibits high-end overall quality and eye appeal.

40 VG 3 90/10 or better centering, corners more rounded--but not excessive, stronger creasing may exist. Poorer focus, registration, and discoloration, and staining are more noticeable.

35 GOOD+ 2.5 A GOOD card that exhibits high-end overall quality and eye appeal.

30 GOOD 2 Centered 90/10 or better. This card usually exhibits one or more of these characteristics: heavy print spots, heavy crease(s), pinhole(s), color or focus imperfections or discoloration, surface scuffing or tear, rounded and/or fraying corners, ink or pencil marking(s), and lack of all or some original gloss.

20 FAIR 1.5 Centered 90/10 or better. This card usually exhibits several of these characteristics: heavy print spots, heavy crease(s), pinhole(s), color or focus imperfections or discoloration, surface scuffing or tears, rounded and/or fraying corners, ink or pencil marking(s), and lack of all or some original gloss, a small portion of the card may be missing.

10 POOR 1 This card usually exhibits many of these characteristics: heavy print spots, heavy crease(s), pinhole(s), color or focus imperfections or discoloration, surface scuffing or tears, rounded and/or fraying corners, ink or pencil marking(s), and lack of all or some original gloss, small portions of the card may be missing.
  • Options
    Sorry the picture is a bit out of square not the card. Also the picture makes the corners look rounded. They are pretty sharp.

[URL=http://s1064.photobucket.com/u...t_zpszmfm5ukg.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/hmspnm/media/FCback_zpssxppuxub.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Alan Holdsworth
  • Options
    eliteco3eliteco3 Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Crossing over cards in another companies slab really puts you at a disadvantage. I once submitted 25 modern bgs 9.5 & bgs 9 to be crossed to psa 9's or 10's and only two crossed. I have a feeling that number would have been much higher if the same card was sent in raw and not in the Beckett holder. I highly doubt the elway would bump up to a psa 10. I would guess it would get a psa 8 or 8.5. PSA sells for the most because they are the most credible, consistent, and best company to choose from on the open market.
    A proud collector of PSA products and avid hobby fan
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments. They were very helpful. image

Alan Holdsworth