Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Finally able to buy a collection.

I posted in the BST that I may have some large denom. notes available, but there was no interest. The lot was fun though, so I'll share it here just for comments.
I'm more into coins and have no idea if these have value due to plate numbers or other fine details.
The 1000 and 500's were not as good as I had thought, based on the sellers pics sent to me prior to meeting, and both 500 have been stamped on the reverse, which I think hurts them a lot. We agreed on $1400 for the 1000, and $600 each for the 500's, which I think was fair. (hopefully for both of us)

Comments

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Nice collection.

Ink stamps on notes instantly put them in the "apparent" or "net" category, which can impact perceived value. I would advise never getting them graded because of that. What you may want to also do is to hold each note up to a light, to see if there are pin holes. I seem to see at least one on the gold $100 (or it may be simply a dark spot). That, too, can impact value.

You could check e-bay's completed listings to see what similar notes have sold for. Selling an entire collection is a tough sell (trust me, I know). There may be someone simply interested in owning such a note who is not a "collector" in the manner we on this board are. I do not think the prices you noted for the high denominations are unreasonable, but, again, check e-bay. As to the yellow seal North Africa notes ($5 & $10s), those can sell for a respectable amount on e-bay.

Best of luck.
    Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    those ink stamps can be removed
  • Options
    MEC2MEC2 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    Ink might be able to be removed, but those aren't the notes to do it on, removing those stamps still leaves a very common note with rounded borders and alot of folds/pinholes. Make real nice wallet pieces though as the face up is still pretty decent. But I doubt you'd recover any expense to clean up the teller stamps and graffiti ink by increasing the value. Notes are just too common.

$100 GC is a nice example in a collectible grade. Some nice NA examples too. Makes me want to befriend old people so I can help disburse their estate and get first crack at the currency goods...
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you still got them below wholesale.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Well done!
  • Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    In my humble opinion.....SCORE!.....and then some.
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice haul !!