Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

1977 $1 Star Notes

In looking at Bob Azpiazu's Modern FRNs, I noticed how many low print runs there were, with 128K, 256K, etc. Are these as scarce or rare as they appear? Underrated?

Were they hoarded by collectors or distributed out for circulation?

Any of you collect these?

Bob
Retired Air Force 1965-2000
Vietnam Vet 1968-1969

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though Bob Azpiazu's collectors guide breaks down the runs for these early series $1 FRN's, the phenomenon of run collecting didn't start until series 1999 $1 FRN's. Back then all the runs were lumped together as all being one. If you check any edition of the Standard Guide to Small-Size U.S.Paper Money you can see that all the runs for 1977 $1 FRN's are only mentioned by district. It isn't until the series 1999 where you'll find large size runs and small size run star notes.

With that being said, there were some small size district runs that took place at the same time.

These notes come to mind, and command a sizeable premium.

1981A $1 Dallas Star

1985 $1 St Louis Star

1988 $1 Atlanta Star

1988A $1 Atlanta WEB Star

1993 $1 Philadelphia Star

These were all 640,000 note small size runs for the entire district

• Options
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: chiefbob

In looking at Bob Azpiazu's Modern FRNs, I noticed how many low print runs there were, with 128K, 256K, etc. Are these as scarce or rare as they appear? Underrated?

Answer - During 1977 there were a lot of gap runs for printing the star notes. This resulted in so many of the short Runs. Some are scarce/rare, yet others can be had. Maybe underrated, but that is because very few collect these any more.

Answer - From my experience, most were distributed out for circulation. Some were saved by those who were able to find them - not many.

Answer - Not so much any more as I stated earlier. I have and still do.

Bob

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jim61
    Originally posted by: chiefbob

Answer - During 1977 there were a lot of gap runs for printing the star notes. This resulted in so many of the short Runs. Some are scarce/rare, yet others can be had. Maybe underrated, but that is because very few collect these any more.

Answer - From my experience, most were distributed out for circulation. Some were saved by those who were able to find them - not many.

Answer - Not so much any more as I stated earlier. I have and still do.

Bob

Thanks. Good info.
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mbwizkid
    Even though Bob Azpiazu's collectors guide breaks down the runs for these early series $1 FRN's, the phenomenon of run collecting didn't start until series 1999 $1 FRN's. Back then all the runs were lumped together as all being one. If you check any edition of the Standard Guide to Small-Size U.S.Paper Money you can see that all the runs for 1977 $1 FRN's are only mentioned by district. It isn't until the series 1999 where you'll find large size runs and small size run star notes.

With that being said, there were some small size district runs that took place at the same time.
    These notes come to mind, and command a sizeable premium.
    1981A $1 Dallas Star
    1985 $1 St Louis Star
    1988 $1 Atlanta Star
    1988A $1 Atlanta WEB Star
    1993 $1 Philadelphia Star

These were all 640,000 note small size runs for the entire district

Thanks MB, interesting background.

Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    And don't forget about these:

1977A $1 E* Natick test note.

1981 $1 C*

2001 $1 H*

2003 $1 D*

2009 $1 H*

2009 $1 K*
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    1977 had COPE notes in L*
  • Options
    SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    Here is by thoughts.

1977 star notes are tougher to find than the 1963 to 1974 notes, but not as tough as 1977-A or 1981. I do not collect by groups or print runs. Actually, I have never been asked about particular print runs from this year.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options

I'm a new to paper notes. I was going through my star note collections and came across my 1977 A star note. Can't find a value on it on ebay. So did a search on Google came up with this post. Can one of ya'll guesstimate a price range for UNcirculated note... and should I get it graded? MY SN is B12670871*

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

I have B12670756* bought from Robert Az and I paid $8. Superior grading charges $10 so at best that looks like it may be a break even note when you sell