Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NEWP: Syracusian Tetradrachm - My Finest Styled Coin

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 23, 2019 8:31AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum
I got word of this coin coming up on Stacks ANA auction and went down to pre show lot viewing to have a look. Loved it. Took a few days off and came to see it again. Then decided to take my 7 year old daughter to provide feedback strictly by what appeals to her - ran her through 10 different and attractive ancient coins on my watch list and asked her to pick her favorite. She immediately selected this one. It didn't hurt having Mr. Eureka sitting next to me to validate the appeal of this coin. The coin was highlighted on Stacks ANA Ancients catalog cover page below. Spent a lot yet love this coin, as its quite special.

SICILY. Syracuse. Agathocles (317-289 BC). AR Tetradrachm. 26mm, 17.09gr ca. 310-305 B.C. Pre-royal coinage, Agathocles as Tyrant, ca. 310-305 BC. Obv: Wreathed head of Arethusa facing left wreathed with grain ears, wearing triple-pendant earring and necklace, three dolphins around, "NI" below neck truncation. Rev: Charioteer holding kentron and reins driving a fast quadriga left, triskeles above, AI monogram in exergue. An absolutely stunning example, leaving little to be desired. Great centering, allowing for a good portion of the obverse beaded border and the full reverse design evoking the finely styled decadrachms of Euainetos struck a century earlier. What really elevates this exquisite piece is the toning, with gorgeous cerulean toning amongst Arethusa's hair seems to reinforce her presence in an aquatic realm. The reverse also features beautiful toning, with similar cerulean and some azure hues melding with breath-taking sunset and rose surrounding the vigorous horses. NGC Ch. AU* 5/5, 5/5. Fine Style.

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speechless really, congrats, Z!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Utterly speechless)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • This might be a total newbie question (and I apologize beforehand if it takes away from the discussion on the coin), but what does the 'three-leg cartwheel' at 12 o'clock on the reverse represent?

I've seen plenty of them, of course, on the Isle of Man issues, but not on anything else until this.

I'm sure a Google search would yield results, but I'm also sure that some one(s) on this forum will provide a better description than a Wikipedia entry.

BTW, gorgeous coin! Congrats! Maybe I should follow in your footsteps and ask my five year old son to choose my next purchase for me! image
    "A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money." - W. C. Fields
    OK, now that I've caught my breath...

Wow, Z.

I've come to expect the finest from you, but this...

THIS...

Wow.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Originally posted by: RTScott1978

This might be a total newbie question (and I apologize beforehand if it takes away from the discussion on the coin), but what does the 'three-leg cartwheel' at 12 o'clock on the reverse represent?

I've seen plenty of them, of course, on the Isle of Man issues, but not on anything else until this.

I'm sure a Google search would yield results, but I'm also sure that some one(s) on this forum will provide a better description than a Wikipedia entry.

BTW, gorgeous coin! Congrats! Maybe I should follow in your footsteps and ask my five year old son to choose my next purchase for me! image

That is a triskeles.

(Sorry, I gave you Wikipedia after all.)

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might be a total newbie question (and I apologize beforehand if it takes away from the discussion on the coin), but what does the 'three-leg cartwheel' at 12 o'clock on the reverse represent?

A triskelion is the symbol of Sicily, where it is called trinacria, as well as of the Isle of Man, Brittany, and the town of Füssen in Germany.

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!! I wasn't your direct underbidder but I did have a bid on it - a gorgeous example indeed!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Triskelion

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely gorgeous!

Originally posted by: SmEagle1795

Congratulations!! I wasn't your direct underbidder but I did have a bid on it - a gorgeous example indeed!

Y'know, I was gonna say "this is a Smeagle-class coin" but didn't want that misinterpreted.

(It would've been intended as the highest of compliments, of course.)

I did make that comparison in a text message to Aethelred a few minutes ago, who should be along shotly to ooh and ahh properly over the latest and greatest Zohar newp.

(When he's done chuckling over my longwinded anecdote about the disastrous time I tried to change my own oil in my old '83 Subaru.)

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    The Syracuse tets (and deks) are generally impressive enough to begin with but this is a beautiful, far superior example of the type. Congrats.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin! Congrats...
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    The style represents among the finest that ancient numismatics has to offer. The state of preservation is remarkable. The coin is well centered and delightfully toned.

This coin draws your eye in the way a Van Gogh would and I believe the comparison is a fair one, this coin is every bit the masterpiece that "Starry Night Over The Rhone" or "Cafe Terrace At Night" are. Thank you for sharing it with us!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The style represents among the finest that ancient numismatics has to offer. The state of preservation is remarkable. The coin is well centered and delightfully toned.

This coin draws your eye in the way a Van Gogh would and I believe the comparison is a fair one, this coin is every bit the masterpiece that "Starry Night Over The Rhone" or "Cafe Terrace At Night" are. Thank you for sharing it with us!

I could not have said it better.

And I too thought of smeagle at first glance when I saw this a few days ago - Z, you moved up another notch with this spectacular newp.
    Thanks all for the kind words!

Y'know, I was gonna say "this is a Smeagle-class coin" but didn't want that misinterpreted.

That's a huge compliment! Thank you!
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What everyone else said! I can't imagine any coin collector specializing in anything not being proud to have this coin in their collection!
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I crapped myself.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    LOL @ Weiss. I managed to restrain myself from doing that... but it was a pretty close thing. image

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    An amazing coin.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's incredible! image
  • PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic!

That quadriga is the nicest and most complete I've seen. The coin's many other impressive qualities combine to be truly breathtaking!

Very well done, indeed!
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Magnificent. Great photography too.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lovely piece
  • zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Thats a Great coin , tremendus eye appeal lovely design . Congrats Z.
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zohar has really outdone himself this time. This coin is a show-stopper, museum quality, fantastic!

Hopefully Z doesn't mind if I post the images here that I fixed up by removing the prongs (at his request).

Just an amazing piece of history Zohar. The sincerest congratulations!!! image

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Of course thank you Brandon for doing what you did to the prongs, still cant figure out how that type of magic is done image
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zohar

Of course thank you Brandon for doing what you did to the prongs, still cant figure out how that type of magic is done image

Hocus Pocus, and of course a little Adobe Photoshop, layers, and layer-masks. image
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I wish NGC and PCGS would offer an out-of-holder imaging service, where they would also measure the coin's diameter, weight and other aspects for a fee. Then, just re-holder. For the majority of coins, this service wouldn't be so useful. But, some coins are...

Also, perhaps imaging the rims as well.

Great coin, btw. Congrats!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Honestly, I wish NGC and PCGS would offer an out-of-holder imaging service, where they would also measure the coin's diameter, weight and other aspects for a fee. Then, just re-holder. For the majority of coins, this service wouldn't be so useful. But, some coins are...

Also, perhaps imaging the rims as well.

Great coin, btw. Congrats!

Thank you. I actually tried asking NGC upon grading of the Dadler medal I sent in, to image it before holdering. Will let you know how images come out.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin

What everyone else said! I can't imagine any coin collector specializing in anything not being proud to have this coin in their collection!

My thoughts exactly. Is really does not matter what your specialty is across the numismatic spectrum - US/world/ancients/etc - this is a trophy piece.

Zohar - I want to be in the room for one of these auctions in the future to see you sweat it out. image

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: worldcoinguy
    Zohar - I want to be in the room for one of these auctions in the future to see you sweat it out. image

Wear adult diapers. That's what I do when I'm with Z in these situations. image

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last I heard was regular adult diapers are not absorbent enough for his grand mal situationsimage
    Last I heard was regular adult diapers are not absorbent enough for his grand mal situations

EVP sat next to me twice on such occasion and can attest to the heart palpitations (no diapers though)
  • BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, that's an amazing coin.image
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup......what everyone else said above plus a couple of holy tamolys and a few WOWZERS
    I actually viewed this coin here the other night on my screen in the dark and it like hypnotized
    me like I was back in ancient Rome or that period.

It's like if we had a Coin of the Month and a Coin of the Year thing here.......It would definitely
    get my vote as COIN of the YEAR................A Great BIG CONGRATS Zohar image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Leaves nothing to be desired, in my opinion.

One question, and this is merely a curiosity of lighting and photographs ... The auction brochure shows a mark on Arethusa's cheek, yet your first image does not. By all other measures, it is the same coin.

I prefer your first image for many reasons. Just wondering.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a stunner, Z - congrats!

Thought I would bump this old thread. Coin never gets old (or ancient, no pun intended!)

• Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Normally, I am not impressed with ancient coins....but WOW this coin is nice. Great pickup.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:
    Thought I would bump this old thread. Coin never gets old (or ancient, no pun intended!)

Pun indeed :smiley:

I was worried you were bringing this up as it was for sale or something. This one is too amazing.

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Just as amazing 3 years later. True history in your hand with that one.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:

Hope you still own them

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

@bidask said:

@Zohar said:

Hope you still own them

Yes!