Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Less can be more

Less can be more:

Colonial note purchased from Heritage (Eric Newman):
before

Now on Heritage weekly auction with a disingenuous description and a higher price:
after

Comments

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    At least it re graded close to what it was before.

Hopefully the potential buyer does a bit of research on the note.
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally, the rank of a note in the condition census will diminish as new, better examples come to light.

This one defied gravity and jumped to the top of the census and highlights several problems with TPG certification.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    It certainly highlights the problem of one TPG......
  • Options
    SlasherSlasher Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    From the scans this note looks like it could just as easily be a "40" as opposed to a "35." The only real difference is that the right was trimmed to get rid of the ugly missing piece. I wouldn't make a real big deal out of this personally......it's not like the missing piece was how the note was as made. If you hadn't seen the before picture it's not likely that the after picture would cause any real consternation.
    To be the man, you've gotta beat the man!!!
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It certainly highlights the problem of one TPG......"

I agree and should have been clear about that.

There still seems to be something wrong about ignoring a note's past history, but I understand that the TPGs grade what's in front of them, not what was.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    uzuiwekuzuiwek Posts: 50 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Obviously, a note's grade has to reflect the state of preservation of the note at the time. But I really don't like the idea of rewarding someone for "fixing" a stain, or a fold, with an exacto knife.
    SPMC LM #405 - Collector of Ohio obsoletes. And other stuff, that I'm not going to tell you, so you don't buy it before I do.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: franklinfever

Since the before and after are both graded by the same TPG, I agree, this one should of been caught. Just a simple search of their own database should of shown this was previously graded. But then again, if they do this, that would kill alot of people's habit of cutting a note out and sending it back in for grading again... Of course most people are not gutsy enough to submit it to the same TPG it was already graded with.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    SlasherSlasher Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    First was PCGS.....second was PMG.
    To be the man, you've gotta beat the man!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Slasher

First was PCGS.....second was PMG.

Whoops... my mistake... I though they were both PCGS. image
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    berylberyl Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: uzuiwek
    Agreed. Obviously, a note's grade has to reflect the state of preservation of the note at the time. But I really don't like the idea of rewarding someone for "fixing" a stain, or a fold, with an exacto knife.

First Heritage estimate $1500 - $2500
    Current Heritage estimate $ 7500 plus

for the same note before and after... along with the notation:" We have sold only two other examples from this issue for all grades and denominations combined."
    emphasis added
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: franklinfever