Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1960's decade flower power

As a kid I collected baseball cards in the 1960's I recently got out of the military and started collecting again. For those of you who collect cardsfrom the 60's I was wondering what your favorite year is and why? Which year do you think will go up in value the most in 10 years and why? My personal love is 1967. I think that was topps artistic masterpiece. Poor Milt Pappas no facsimile. Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Congrats on finishing your service I recently retired from the Marine Corps. Have been collecting for 25+ years welcome back to the hobby. I'd agree with you on the 1967 set being the overall favorite from the 60's. My number two and it's a close second would be 65. I dislike the Mantle in 67 but 65 is his best 60's card for me. Again welcome back.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Welcome. Thanks for your service. You too Mick.

I have collected all of the 60s sets and like them all, but share your passion for 1967
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

Fleer Basketball..............................
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Don't hear 61 as a favorite to often, lots of guys with hats off in that set Mays being one of them. Not a big fan of that. Clean design though.
  • Options
    Thank you for your service, summersolstice.

1968 is my favorite ... The year of the Tiger. When I first started collecting in 1975 my older brother gave me all his 1968s.
    Lifelong Detroit Tigers Fan
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like most 60's sets. 65 and 67 being my favorites. I think 64 falls a little short for me

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: TheMick6
    Don't hear 61 as a favorite to often, lots of guys with hats off in that set Mays being one of them. Not a big fan of that. Clean design though.

I believe Greg is referring to the '61 Fleer basketball set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Whoops, read that wrong
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    The 61 Fleer is my only basketball set and it is a great set.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I think 1967 is a great set, but I'm going with 1960 as the best overall. Attractive horizontal design, beautiful photography and the backs look great. Not huge on rookies, but Yaz and McCovey carry the set.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya summer - your first name is?

I haven't seen your other posts - so welcome!

I'm retired Army - in fact 50 years ago I was in basic training at Ft Dix, NJ.

My career 1966 to 1997.

You're returning to the hobby?

For the 60s - had to think about it - I keep going to 1965 as a favorite for design.

Appreciation? Have no idea. My main focus is baseball board games - so I collect for the pure fun of the hobby.

I can give you my best advice coming back though - if you'll please indulge me?

Rules for collecting:

Rule #1: Establish a FOCUS.

Rule #2: Establish a BUDGET.

Rule #3: Never break rules 1 or 2.

The Focus: It'll keep you from running all over the place trying to corner the market on anything and everything.

The Budget: will keep you happy and sane and prevent night sweats that wake you up screaming into the night!

I realized that a hobby has to be enjoyed by not holding on too tightly or it'll "hold onto you."

Good luck and don't be a stranger.
    Mike
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a '70s collector, but the only '60s sets that do anything for me are 1960, 1964 and 1967.
  • Options
    I love 1965. Design wise, 63 thru 65 was Topps' best 3 year run of all time. The ugliest 60's set is 68 and I don't like if even though it has 8 yaz cards.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and sage advice. You all have made me feel welcomed. Bravo zulu goes out to all the military brothers here, thank you also for your dedicated service. Cheers and SEMPER FI
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1963 and 1967...
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    '67 is the 2nd best set of the post war era ('53 Bowman being the best design, IMO) with '65 just behind it. While I didn't initially like '66 the more I look at it the more I like it

Here's how I'd rank them

1. '67 - great design, rookies of Seaver and Carew, high numbers are tricky but not tough. Maris proof adds a bit of fun
    2. '65- clean design, no tough high numbers, Morgan rookie most notable but not expensive
    3. '63- colorful design that can be a bit tough with the chipping, especially nice final card of Musial, condition aside not tough to complete
    4. '60- only set of the decade with a horizontal design, not expensive or tough to complete
    5. '66- design wise ranks up there with '65 and '67, giving the best 3 year run since '54-56. Extremely tough short prints in the high numbers.
    6. '68- burlap sack design isn't very popular, but personally I like it. Photography is really good, and the combo cards are the best of the decade, if not ever
    7. '64- nice set, not overly interesting for any reason. Easy set to complete. 2 great supplemental sets that year, Giants and Standups.
    8. '69- so so design, really muddy printing. Variations give it a bit of interest, the grey skies get old though
    9. '61- too many portraits, muddy images, horrible design.
    10. '62 - bad woodgrain, too many bare headed portraits and retouched caps due to expansion. Worst of the decade.

If you added in other (non tribute) sets I'd put '63 Fleer at #3 and '60 Leaf dead last.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's