Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How do you all feel about TOPPS NOW cards?

Quick question for all of you pros and card enthusiasts. How do you feel about the TOPPS NOW cards that were introduced this season? For the unacquainted, TOPPS puts out a baseball card after a particular moment and it is available for 24hrs only. It's interesting, eslecially if you were at the game or watching it with a loved one.
It kind of got me back into cards, something Ive not thought about since I was a young lad.
Anybody else follow these?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• Options
    While I think it's an interesting concept I don't see myself ever getting any. Kinda reminds me of the old highlight and record breaker cards I pulled from packs as a kid I only kept those to complete the set otherwise I skipped right over them. I can see the interest in getting one if it highlighted a particular game you attended though.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I think they're pretty cool, but not cool enough to actually pay $10 for one.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They seem a little too gimmicky for my taste, but agree if there was one for a game I attended or I collected any of the active players I might be interested.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    They should limit it as a weekly release. Just too many players at this point and most are garbage.

I like the Throwback Thursday concept - This week is a good one with Corey Seager RC and all the great shortstops in the game.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    They still print cards ?
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies so far. Yes, $9.99 for one is a bit steep, but you can usually get them for less off eBay as buying them in quantity lowers the price.
    I know in todays age the prospects all have cards 5 years before they reach the major leagues, but I still think it's cool to get a rookie card from a guy just hours after his debut. Yanks' Aaron Judge is one of those guys I just know is going to be a star, so I bought his TOPPS now card from his debut (in which he hit a home run, first at bat) in large quantities.
    A few others have gave me "the itch" so I "scratched."

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Corey Seager is one card I bought in quantity at 4.00 per card. Just a few PSA 10s and I will get every penny back and more.
  • Options
    The fact that those would be considered a RC would turn me off right away. I think RC's should be limited to regular issued sets.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TheMick6
    The fact that those would be considered a RC would turn me off right away. I think RC's should be limited to regular issued sets.

What could be more of a RC than one issued on the day of his first game?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TheMick6

As of right now, they have been. Beckett has not classified any of the Topps Now cards with the RC attribute. People will still call them rookies... Heck, I consider them rookie cards.

Without the Beckett classification though, they won't be included in any PSA Registry Rookie Card sets.

At this point, I still buy some Topps Now cards on occassion. However, I'm sticking to my 2 criteria for buying them... I believe I can grade them and make money off them, or I need to get it graded for a Registry set I'm working on (e.g. they are classified by Beckett as "main" set cards, so they will qualify for a player Basic & Collector Issues set... and they'll all count towards a players Master set)
  • Options
    Topps Now... Topps Throwback Thursday... and now, Topps Crossover... is nothing more than eTopps Version 2.0. The only difference is they ship the cards right away and don't have to pay to develop & host another website so you can manage, buy, sell & trade your cards on that platform!
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I think it's a gimmick. But, you never know, some gimmicks catch on and become popular. I thought and still think parallel cards are a gimmick, buts folks love them. Use one picture and print four different colors of borders, come on!
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    i feel about the same as i did about etopps
  • Options
    I just think once you classify them as rookie cards then there won't be any in the base sets. Why even have the base sets anymore they are becoming pointless. If it catches on and keeps younger collectors interest then I say great don't know why I'm worried about the rookie designation after all every guy has 25-30 of them now anyway.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I found out about em when I saw an article on Bartolo Colon's homerun. I went to Topps Now to buy it, and found out I missed the time frame because I saw the article late. I ended up buying a Harper card and an Ortiz card from when he passed Yaz. They are both still sitting in the the envelopes. I haven't even seen em yet. I think they are cool if you maybe were at the game, or really collect a player, but like a lot of things Topps does it's a quick cash grab because it is going to be "limited" or "rare"

I got caught up in the hype of it for a second and then kicked myself as soon I paid. Oh well, it wasn't too much money. I figure there has to be Harper and Ortiz collectors out there. I dunno if I should grade em first then sell em, or just sell em off raw and take a few bucks loss, since I have no invested interest in either player, impulse buying got the best of me.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall not a bad idea and like any other offering it will find it's niche. It's kind of clever and if you snag a card depicting a really unusual event/milestone collectors who missed out, and the card depicts their favorite player, the chase may be on. Card company's are always thinking for new ways to maintain our interest in our hobby, which is a good thing. Shows imagination on their part. Now if the redemption programs could only improve more.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    The title of this thread makes me feel like Topps is in trouble, or did something wrong.
  • Options
    The greed with Topps on the relic cards just astounds me though. The prices they had on the Ichiro when he hit 3000... ouch. Today, I just received the email that they made a relic card of Kris Bryant... and I was kind of excited. Well, at least until I got to the site and saw what they are charging. $149 is your cheapest option for the numbered to 99 version.

On what planet do non-auto'd relic cards ever hold this kind of value, even short term??? Who are buying these things??

Even if I was at that game, those price tags are beyond sick. I'd still pass, good grief Topps!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ZTarg
    The title of this thread makes me feel like Topps is in trouble, or did something wrong.

Why do you say that? I'm just asking for opinions on the product and how they're viewed and accepted among "real" collectors. (Im a baseball nut but havent collected cards since childhood)

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    Originally posted by: epatmythes
    The greed with Topps on the relic cards just astounds me though. The prices they had on the Ichiro when he hit 3000... ouch. Today, I just received the email that they made a relic card of Kris Bryant... and I was kind of excited. Well, at least until I got to the site and saw what they are charging. $149 is your cheapest option for the numbered to 99 version.

On what planet do non-auto'd relic cards ever hold this kind of value, even short term??? Who are buying these things??

Even if I was at that game, those price tags are beyond sick. I'd still pass, good grief Topps!

I agree with you. It seems theyre doing this more and more. First, Ichiro which was historically important. And now Betts and Bryant with impressive but not moments we will remember forever.

That being said, every single relic card from $149 to $999 sells out in a half hour.
    Every time.
    If people buy them, TOPPS will make them every day of week and twice on Sundays.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    Double post

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    Triple post, wow. TOPPS should make a card to commemorate this forum event

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DCW
    It kind of got me back into cards, something Ive not thought about since I was a young lad.

I guess I didn't focus on this part of your first post initially. If they're bringing in new collectors, that can only be a good thing, regardless how long time/"real" collectors feel about them. Once you get the bug, it usually spreads to other areas of collecting.
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    I had no idea these Topps now cards are so popular.
  • Options
    "Once you get the bug, it usually spreads to other areas of collecting."

Well, as you can see from my post count/date I joined, Ive been on the boards a while. I generally collect coins. Cant really afford to go full tilt into cards, but got to thinking about them after purchasing some of the TOPPS NOW cards.
    And ive discovered that some of the cards I drooled over as akid can now be purchased for pennies on the dollar.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    i think once they saturate the market with them they will go the way of the high dollar insert. I think it's a good gimmick to grab you get and newer collectors but don't they make multiple new ones for every big game a guy has every night? Seems like they do. Big moments ones I can see maintaining appel but some star hits a walk off and I can't see anyone wanting that in a few years.
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DCW

Originally posted by: ZTarg

Why do you say that? I'm just asking for opinions on the product and how they're viewed and accepted among "real" collectors. (Im a baseball nut but havent collected cards since childhood)

Read the title without the last word.

When I read I read from left to right (I'm silly like that), so before I get to the last word of the title it reads "How do you all feel about TOPPS NOW"

• Options
    Ah, I see. "How do you all feel about TOPPS...now that something sinister has just happened with some of their staff and the cops in Rio?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia