Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1893 Canadian Five Cent

I'm wondering if anyone has a Charlton 64th edition (2010), it has all the Varieties ( RPD ) for this coin . I know the 2013 Charlton has 2 different types of R/P'd 9 and a R/P'd 3.
I haven't seen any of the varieties ( RPD) for either book .
Any help with this RPD would be grateful .

[URL=http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/stash38/media/3j_zps2xwm9w3l.jpg.html]image[/URL][URL=http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/stash38/media/3k_zpseegvekfy.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the RP-1 on page 366. Note: the RP 8 is common as it was done at the matrix. The RP 9 was done at the die. In EF it is valued at about $50CAD.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 1960NYGiants
    It looks like the RP-1 on page 366. Note: the RP 8 is common as it was done at the matrix. The RP 9 was done at the die. In EF it is valued at about $50CAD.

Thanks for the info, it's a beauty ..

[URL=http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/stash38/media/7b-vert-vert_zpstce0vtfh.jpg.html]image[/URL][URL=http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/stash38/media/7b-vert-vert 1_zpssgixbgn4.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin ..
    and Gene is right, as usual.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    Does anyone know if Pcgs will put RP-1 on the slab ?
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 905 ✭✭✭
    I doubt if they will put RP-1 on the slab, nor do I think that any other TPG will either, except in "remarks". I think that the last 2 digits for that date (and probably '91 & 92) were handpunched into the die so that there will be any number of repunches as to direction of the overpunch, amount of overlap, or rotation or canting. It will be alot like all the repunches for the 1859 large cents .. they can be all over the map. Since the working dies had blank spaces for the last 2 digits, it took 2-3 whacks with the hammer and punch to make a deep enough impression in the die to produce usable coins. There were hours, days, or weeks between the individual whacks with the hammer because the die had to be annealed (softened) and the punch hardened between the individual blows. Very seldom to hand repunches into the die end up exactly on top of each other. As Gene says, the 8 was recut on the matrix/hub so ALL of the dates will have the "repunched" 8 .. or at least all the working dies that used that hub.
  • Options
    There should be different markers to tell them apart, just as any Variety does ?
  • Options
    Yes, there will be diffinitive markers for coins struck by each working die. However, there will be no "common" name or designation for each one because there would be so many variables as far as offsets and direction. There were 1.7 million struck and probably average around 100,000 per die .. that makes 17 different placements of the last 2 digits. When we wrote the variety section for the Vicky large cents, we were able to get only 5 numbers (DP's 1-5) plus 2 9/6's and 2 TP's to be accepted by Charlton, Trends, and the major TPG's, including ICCS. I would imagine that they could put what they want in the remarks section (L/R, Hi/Lo, R/L, Lo/Hi, etc). BTW, Charlton owns the names (copyright) for DP's 1-5 and the R/P numbers that appear in Charlton and then used (with Charlton's permission) in Trends and TPG holders. You have a nice variety and it's a keeper .. give it your own name. CCCS will normally put whatever the customer wants on their holders .. that's one of the reasons that there is so much confusion is giving newly published (last 10 years or so) varieties a name that is universally accepted.
  • Options
    One last question, does anyone know what kind of price guide for a RP-1 in MS-64 shape is worth . For insurance purposes only . I did just buy the Charlton 64th edition (2010), used for 3 bucks, ( still waiting on book in the mail ) but I think those prices are a little high ....
  • Options
    Why do you want to know the MS-64 price. I think that your coin is AU .. wear on Vicky's hair & eyebrow. I know 3 people (dedicated collectors of high grade)that collect the 5 cent silvers and I'll try to find out. One of them (and the person who wrote the 64th variety section) is Brian Cornwell of ICCS fame & owner.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Very nice early Canadian 5 cent.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: syl
    I think that your coin is AU .. wear on Vicky's hair & eyebrow. .

There's no wear on the eyebrow .

[URL=http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/stash38/media/A035 - 20160820_150241 2_zps5uzbnex5.jpg.html]image[/URL]