Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My 1st Pre-War Card... Buy the card, not the label

After reading about all the posts about how the CU boards have lost its appeal... I have to admit I was one of them, but after meeting Jeff Foy (Card Country) at The National this year (purchased a nice 1959 Topps Bob Gibson PSA 8 from him). I've been looking for this Cobb (Green background) for a while and the eye appeal was too good to pass up. Best, Dennis

image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    Great looking Cobb, I looked at card country's table many times at the National the Clemente roomies he had were amazing! Centered beauties.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one of my all time favorites
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    That's a beautiful Cobb, Congratulations
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Cobb. That's a heck of a first pre-war card. Congrats!
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    stunning, great pick up congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievable eye appeal. That image is crystal clear. The green is deep and even, no washing out to it whatsoever. Fantastic card!
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got the bug to get a pre-war card...Gehrig, Cobb, someone...Great card, btw.
  • Options
    Great pickup. I have always wanted a Cobb.
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    You did well on that Cobb. Really nice eye appeal for the grade. It's a beauty.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Real nice looking Cobb ... presents very well for the grade. That T206 set can become addicting!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Great centering

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what a beauty Dennis.

I agree on the card vs the holder - congratulations on a really great pickup.

Would like to see the Gibson?

Mike
  • Options
    That's awesome! Love to see more pre-war guys here. I completed my 4 Cobb-run this year, and been tempting to upgrade.
    Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    mbz430embz430e Posts: 237 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: craig44

Very nice. Great centering

+1 Jeff is one of the great guys in the hobby, so to hear you are thrilled with your Gibson purchase is no surprise at all. Love the Cobb!

JDRF saves lives, let not another child walk down the path of juvenile diabetes alone. Consider giving either time or money, it will come back to you. $15,800 and counting....
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dennis! It was great meeting you at the National!! I'm glad to see you posting!!

Congratulations on the awesome pick-up. That Cobb is a beauty!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980