Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New PSA cases vs old cases

At this years national one dealer I ran across told me that he gets all his cards put into new holders if possible and he thought that was the thing to do. Of course my response was that that didn't seem practical for your average collector and then the obvious discussion about "if PSA thought it was a 8 4 years ago" why wouldn't it be an 8 now? I realize PSA has gone thru changes but does it kinda annoy anyone else that the leading company in the hobby will take a card they have slabbed a few years before under there grading standards which have never really changed and tell you that they reserve the right to lower the grade if you try to rehder it? Yes you don't buy the holder you buy the card but at the national I heard the phrase "but it's not in a new holder" enough to just get under my skin. How hard is it maintain a consistent grading standard?

Comments

• Options
    Originally posted by: TheMick6

At this years national one dealer I ran across told me that he gets all his cards put into new holders if possible and he thought that was the thing to do. Of course my response was that that didn't seem practical for your average collector and then the obvious discussion about "if PSA thought it was a 8 4 years ago" why wouldn't it be an 8 now? I realize PSA has gone thru changes but does it kinda annoy anyone else that the leading company in the hobby will take a card they have slabbed a few years before under there grading standards which have never really changed and tell you that they reserve the right to lower the grade if you try to rehder it? Yes you don't buy the holder you buy the card but at the national I heard the phrase "but it's not in a new holder" enough to just get under my skin. How hard is it maintain a consistent grading standard?

Judging from some of the cards in holders I have it's a lot more difficult to maintain a consistent grading standard than it should be apparently image. Without joking though, it's so subjective. Each grader is different. While the graders PSA hires and uses, IMO, are top quality, I believe each grader interprets the PSA grading standards in their own individual way. Just my opinion, in that there is enough wiggle room in how to determine a grade by each grader. Even through the reviews process, etc. Just my $.02

• Options
    You absolutely right about the subjective nature of grading and the wiggle room with different graders. I won't even get started on the half grade issues.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grade is not lowered if you request reholdering unless something egregious is going on in which case PSA will reholder at lower grade and reimburse you for the difference.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I'm a PSA fan, I know PSA in general takes care of collectors. I also know as a collecting community we probably are the reason the old case new case issue exists. Just seems that over the years 8's have become 7's.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TheMick6

I'm a PSA fan, I know PSA in general takes care of collectors. I also know as a collecting community we probably are the reason the old case new case issue exists. Just seems that over the years 8's have become 7's.

I hear this a lot, that PSA had gotten stricter, but I disagree. I think it's a myth, just like the myth that 4SC gets more generous grades than you and I.
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15
    in which case PSA will reholder at lower grade and reimburse you for the difference.

I have always been confused with this statement. Is the reimbursement based on SMR value?
    Example:
    Say for the sake of discussion that a card has an SMR of $500 in PSA 8, $200 in PSA 7.
    Say you bought a PSA 8 copy for $1k because the market was strong, and you send the card in to get reholdered. Say PSA found a defect that would downgrade it to a 7, so do they mail you the card in a PSA 7 holder and give you back $300?

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    A couple points to consider: The presentation quality of the new holder vs. old ones certainly helps one to consider whether to pay top dollar for a nice card or needing to send it in to PSA on their own because it's in a holder which may be scuffed up, cracked or just plain dirty or dull from years of having sticky price tags attached. Also, the supposed tougher standards of current PSA grading should improve the perceived value of a card, and the current security holder should offer reassurance to those who feel it's too easy to pop open an old PSA holder and replace the card.

It is impossible to maintain a consistent grading standard if different judges are judging. That fact has already been discussed here a million times. But, think about it terms of buying a shiny new pre-owned vehicle that's been detailed and looks sharp as opposed to one which has the same capabilities, but also has a few scratches, dings and bird poop on it. If the concept is similar - which would you choose?
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    I feel like PSA has gotten more strict in their grading personally. I see many PSA 7's today that look like cards in older PSA 8 holders. It's just not 7's to 8's on the whole. It seems to me that PSA is more strict by a grade on cards. I personally don't have a problem with the strict grading.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    Oh I definitely don't argue against reholdering. The new slabs are definitely harder to crack, plus I don't like scratches and scuffs on my slabs.
  • Options
    I agree that overall grading standards are stricter today, especially with regard to centering.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I also attended the National and heard several dealers say the same thing. The new graders are much more strict than the old ones. I had a dealer tell me never buy PSA slabs that begin with the number 0. I heard another dealer offer the customer less money because of the old slab. I'm currently looking to buy a few PSA 8 Jordan rookies and to be honest, I'm staying away from the older slabs for resale purposes later.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    No question they are tougher now than they were in the past. Absolutely no question, especially the further back you go. As someone who has been in this hobby since long before Third Party Grading became the norm, I assure you this is true. What to do with that information is open to debate and discussion.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: gregmo32
    No question they are tougher now than they were in the past. Absolutely no question, especially the further back you go. As someone who has been in this hobby since long before Third Party Grading became the norm, I assure you this is true. What to do with that information is open to debate and discussion.

I'm usually one to say "I've been at this since 1983 for the most part, nah, no major change since 1998, 96, whatever", but, I'll also admit when I'm wrong and I agree with Greg here. They are tougher since debuting the label w/ barcode IMO. Much tougher on centering and edges IMO from personal experience in the last 5-7 months. Small sample size? Maybe. Maybe it continues however.
  • Options
    My understanding is that "reholder" and "review" are two different services. I wouldn't expect a grade to change on a reholder since I don't think the cards are reviewed. I think it makes sense that if they did get something that was really off say, they have the right to review it, but I have to think in 99.99% of the cases, reholder just means reholder.
  • Options
    Anyone think these tougher grading standards had some affect on the explosion of higher grade vintage rookies? I know that I was able to move just about any PSA 8 stars from the fifties I wanted to at the national. I was getting great prices from just about any dealer I offered them to.
  • Options
    eliteco3eliteco3 Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Slabbed thousands and thousands of cards to PSA. Mostly modern but I love to collect vintage baseball and football. To me, PSA is the strictest service in the business. When I compare a PSA 9 to a BGS 9 the majority of the time the PSA looks much nicer. I also believe a PSA 9 is very very close to a PSA 10. If you read the definition of each grade in the SMR it details what each card should look like centering, print defects, etc. People that may 50X on a card in a 10 compared to a 9 are buying the slab in my opinion. It is a rarity issue and wanting to have one of the only few in that grade. As for PSA's standards changing, I think they have remained the same since 2010 when I started submitting. I know PSA also hammers thick cards like 2007 Adrian Peterson Exquisite collection. I once snapped a psa 6 out of a psa holder and got a bgs 8.5 lol.
    A proud collector of PSA products and avid hobby fan
  • Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: waxman2745
    in which case PSA will reholder at lower grade and reimburse you for the difference.

I have always been confused with this statement. Is the reimbursement based on SMR value?
    Example:
    Say for the sake of discussion that a card has an SMR of $500 in PSA 8, $200 in PSA 7.
    Say you bought a PSA 8 copy for $1k because the market was strong, and you send the card in to get reholdered. Say PSA found a defect that would downgrade it to a 7, so do they mail you the card in a PSA 7 holder and give you back $300?

It's all based on a negotiation you have with them. They don't seem to acknowledge their SMR if they do make the first offer. So be prepared with counteroffers if you want a fair reimbursement value
  • Options
    I will say the SMR is a very accurate representation of the market.
    A proud collector of PSA products and avid hobby fan
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Example:

Does this work both ways? For example if I send in a PSA 5 Doctor J rookie for re holdering and the person re holdering realizes the initial grade was way under graded will they up the grade?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Cakes

Example:

Does this work both ways? For example if I send in a PSA 5 Doctor J rookie for re holdering and the person re holdering realizes the initial grade was way under graded will they up the grade?

No. You'd have to submit the card under review service for that consideration to take place.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you need to worry about a one grade drop on a reholder. They're not regrading it, but if there's an obvious major flaw that was missed initially (say a PSA7 with a pinhole), they will take the opportunity to correct it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

I don't think you need to worry about a one grade drop on a reholder. They're not regrading it, but if there's an obvious major flaw that was missed initially (say a PSA7 with a pinhole), they will take the opportunity to correct it.

Exactly.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: RookieHOFers
    I feel like PSA has gotten more strict in their grading personally. I see many PSA 7's today that look like cards in older PSA 8 holders. It's just not 7's to 8's on the whole. It seems to me that PSA is more strict by a grade on cards. I personally don't have a problem with the strict grading.

To me, blanket statements such as this are inaccurate. It's true that some older holdered cards in 8 holders would be 7s today. That includes the original label slabs as well as some earlier 'grade description on the same line as grade number' holders. However, I think that has more to do with small windows of time than general blanket rules that apply across the entire era. The "grader of death" was alive and well 10-15 years ago killing submissions. I had to return an entire order of 1969s for review due to the grades being skewed too low compared to other blocks of cards from the same set handled by other graders. Many got bumped on review. Then there were other times in the early 2000s where graders were definitely being more lenient, especially on cards with print snow.

For me, I look at the card and not the holder. There are many pack fresh cards in older holders that I would pay just as much for as any current era graded card. After all, it was during that timeframe that all the vintage packs and vending boxes were being busted. Today it's getting harder and harder to find clean, uncirculated raw material to be submitted.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In regard to the above comments: So will buyers shy away, should they, from purchasing older PSA holdered cards under the assumption that they will be a harder resell when that time comes? And the ask/sell price will be lower than a new holdered card with the same grade?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    I havent noticed a price difference vs the card itself and the seller is much more important to me. It does give some piece of mind. Of course everything exactly equal you would prefer the newer holder but i havent seen anything near, say, a 5% discount. To me its much more about fraud/security than being afraid of a downgrade when switching holders.

The ones I'm keeping in my collection (99%) Im not worried about getting a new holder. If i were selling then I may depending on the card.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: gemint
    Originally posted by: RookieHOFers

To me, blanket statements such as this are inaccurate. It's true that some older holdered cards in 8 holders would be 7s today. That includes the original label slabs as well as some earlier 'grade description on the same line as grade number' holders. However, I think that has more to do with small windows of time than general blanket rules that apply across the entire era. The "grader of death" was alive and well 10-15 years ago killing submissions. I had to return an entire order of 1969s for review due to the grades being skewed too low compared to other blocks of cards from the same set handled by other graders. Many got bumped on review. Then there were other times in the early 2000s where graders were definitely being more lenient, especially on cards with print snow.

For me, I look at the card and not the holder. There are many pack fresh cards in older holders that I would pay just as much for as any current era graded card. After all, it was during that timeframe that all the vintage packs and vending boxes were being busted. Today it's getting harder and harder to find clean, uncirculated raw material to be submitted.

I completely agree with GEMINT. The newer the plastic doesn't equate to harsher grading conditions. I do like and prefer clean, unscratched holders, but it doesn't matter if it's a holder with a longer bar code (used pre 1996) or hologram on the front new holder. The only thing that really matters is the card itself.

I do hope many CU posters out there think that PSA is grading tougher today and they avoid buying older slabs. Then it will be easier for me to pick up deals on under graded older slabs.

What seems to be the reason for this perception of card's in older slabs not being as nice is prior to what 2006 or so, PSA didn't offer half grades.

I can tell you with certainty that there are thousands of cards in older pre-half grade slabs that are graded PSA 8, that would be 8.5's and 9's today.

The luck of the draw upon which grader ends up grading your cards today, is the most important factor with how well you do on your submissions.
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    I collect mostly 80's cards and from what I have found is the exact opposite.

I find significantly better cards in early holders and it isn't even close.
  • Options
    I think it also depends on the issue. I am an avid collector of 1975 minis, and there is absolutely no question that 75 minis graded in recent years are generally much stronger for the grade versus cards graded years ago. PSA is also tougher in general on surface issues and centering now than they were in years past. Of course, none of this is hard and fast but simply what I've seen after submitting thousands of cards to PSA over the years as well as purchasing cards for my sets over that same time frame. As always, each card should be evaluated on its attributes and merits relative to the grade.

• Options
    dioworlddioworld Posts: 140 ✭✭
    reholder the card and you'll get a new case
    PSA is a joke, want to be tough kind of company. i don't think they even stick to their grading standard descriptions.
  • Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭
    Any relation to Ronnie James Dio?
  • Options
    i prefer the new holders vs the old. theyre harder for the scammers to break into
    Back in the hobby after hibernating for many years... Collector from the overproduced years of 1986+
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it also depends on the issue. I am an avid collector of 1975 minis, and there is absolutely no question that 75 minis graded in recent years are generally much stronger for the grade versus cards graded years ago. PSA is also tougher in general on surface issues and centering now than they were in years past. Of course, none of this is hard and fast but simply what I've seen after submitting thousands of cards to PSA over the years as well as purchasing cards for my sets over that same time frame. As always, each card should be evaluated on its attributes and merits relative to the grade.

Tim makes a good point. '75 minis are an exception to my comment due to the holdering of 'shorties' in earlier holders. I guess the same comment could apply to Star basketball since they stopped grading them due to the difficulty in deciphering reprints from originals, though I'm not a bkb collector and only make that comment based on other posts I've read over the years.