Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

New Member: Intro and some Photos

Hey there!

I'm a new member here (actually signed up so I could message some one in the b/s/t world coin forum and purchase a coin) and I wanted to make a post introducing myself and my collecting.

First off, my name's Rob and I've been collecting for a short three years or so. Started off very sporadically purchasing big lots of foreign coins and going through them. I wasn't looking for anything specifically and had no real direction with it, it was just a lot of fun researching the coins and their histories. I learned more about geography and world history in that short time than I did in school.

I ended up finding some pretty nice coins during that time, (nothing spectacular, just some key dates, rare series and nice BU coins) but after a couple years of seeing mostly the same coins over and over again I decided to actually focus my collecting.

Just over a year ago I started purchasing milled England/UK and Commonwealth coinage somewhat seriously. I began with an idea for a type set of pre-decimal milled UK coinage that excluded gold and maundy sets and worked backwards. I wasn't looking for anything high grade so it wasn't too difficult to get as far as I have, which is complete until George III, barring a gothic and William IV crown. After that the collection is pretty scattered. There's a handful of older coins from the first two George's, Anne, William and Mary and Charles II, but those types are expensive and not widely available.

Because of the scarcity of those older milled coins in prices I can afford, I began buying the commonwealth issues. I had no thought of a type set for another county, just wanted to get more coins issued by the UK. Started there with counties like Canada, Australia and India (where there was a good amount to choose from) then began looking at the rest and snatching them up whenever one fit my budget and my approval.

This all brings us up to now, when I am still looking for older milled but more actively buying commonwealth coins whenever I see one I like which I don't already have.

I currently have at least one coin from most commonwealth's, I'm missing ones from places like Gold Coast, Demerara and Essequibo and Sierra Leone, but am always looking for more.

Now the fun part, some photos! Fair warning, I'm a terrible photographer.

Here's some UK and a Commonwealth:

1675 Charles II Farthing

imageimage

1694 William and Mary Farthing

imageimage

1823 George IV Farthing

imageimage

1887 Victoria Farthing

imageimage

1935 George V Florin

1861 Jersey 1/26 Shilling

imageimage

And here's some coins from the bulk lots I dediced to keep:

1987 Mexico 500 Pesos (Off-Center)

imageimage

1918 Japan One Sen UNC

imageimage

1915 Mexico Revolution Chihuahua 5 Centavos Nice UNC and Doubling on the second "A" in "MEXICANA"

imageimage

1982 Proof Switzerland 20 Rappen (Only proof coin over 30 years old I found in those lots)

imageimage

Well, I think that's about all for now! I'm glad to be part of this forum (I selected this one after lurking for a while) and hope to be here for a long time.

Thanks,

Rob
"A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money." - W. C. Fields

Comments

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Please accept my warmest welcome to the Darkside forum.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! It's pretty amazing what can be found among world coins out there. Much easier to cherry pick than US.

You will learn a lot here. I know I have. Many smart folks.

Sierra Leone shouldn't be too hard. The others will be.
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! Some nice coins you have there.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Welcome!
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what's called a fine read in my book.

I loved reading the raw details, all in first hand words.

One can tell the happiness of the hobby in your pen.

Watch it evolve as time goes on as will the need for newps.

Welcome and enjoy!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, Rob, I'm a Rob too (although in my case, it's short for "Robertson".)

I'm also a veteran of British predecimal collecting.

I like the toning on your George V florin and that off-center Mexican error is neat.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New here myself. Welcome and those are some pretty cool coins! Also enjoy British/UK coins.
    GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! Nice selection of coin you have there. I especially like the off-center 500 Pesos!
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. Nice to have new passionate folks join us.
  • Thanks all for the welcomes! Very happy to be part of this forum.

Just spent the past half hour looking through those Numismatic Gladiator threads and they are just too cool. What a great idea, and I bet it's loads of fun for the competitors.

Looks like I joined at the right time too, can't wait for Numismatic Gladiator X!
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard, this is a nice place

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello Rob and imageimage

This is a great place to visit.

I like your coins.

One of my favorite coins from the Roman Republican era

• Originally posted by: Swampboy

Hello Rob and image

I like your coins.

Beautiful! Have no experience in ancient coins whatsoever but I really like that one.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've joined the right place! image

Great introduction!
    I like British and Mexican coins, too.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a good place to hang out image

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Rob and thanks for the intro. You have some good momentum for only being at this for 3 years. Sorting through the bulk coin lots as a kid is what helped set the seed of interest for a life long pursuit. Its been 30+ years in the hobby now for me (with some years on and off iduring that time) and it is still a nice escape for me to put aside the realities of life and relax with the hobby. You have found your way to the right place.
  • sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭
    Great start and wonderful focus to somewhat narrow down the collecting field. You've come to the right place here.
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Welcome!
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Thanks again for all the warm welcomes, everyone!

I've been busy going through post after post on the world and ancients section of the forum and, to say the least, it's very inspiring.

Very excited to learn more about the hobby than I already do and to purchase (and post, of course) some coins that come even close to those that I've been looking at.
    Originally posted by: RTScott1978

Originally posted by: Swampboy

Hello Rob and image

I like your coins.

Beautiful! Have no experience in ancient coins whatsoever but I really like that one.

I like that one, too, VERY much, but he won't sell it to me. image

And I can't really blame him for that.

And since Swampboy is apparently being modest and didn't feel like name-dropping the pedigree on that coin, I will.

That came from the collection of the sixth president of the United States, John Quincy Adams.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Originally posted by: RTScott1978

Originally posted by: Swampboy

Hello Rob and image

I like your coins.

I like that one, too, VERY much, but he won't sell it to me. image

And I can't really blame him for that.

And since Swampboy is apparently being modest and didn't feel like name-dropping the pedigree on that coin, I will.

That came from the collection of the sixth president of the United States, John Quincy Adams.

image Woah! image

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, Nice coins image
    I like your new Ceylon palm tree avatar.

Reminds me of an old girlfriend.

At a measly ten bucks, she was a cheap date, but I fell pretty hard for her.

To bad she's gone now. The pictures of her don't do her justice. I miss her a bit.

• Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

I like your new Ceylon palm tree avatar.

Reminds me of an old girlfriend.

At a measly ten bucks, she was a cheap date, but I fell pretty hard for her.

To bad she's gone now. The pictures of her don't do her justice. I miss her a bit.

A pretty girl indeed!

That avatar is actually the reverse of a silver specimen 1870 Cent I found while browsing Stacks auction results a while back.

I thought it looked oddly silvery.