Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is with the glut of SGC authenticated cards on the market

Anybody else notice the explosion in SGC authenticated cards on the market. SGC authenticated cards are most of the cards in the Super Break products. I hope that SGC doesn't go the way of GAI . I only had a few GAI authenticated things in my collection and I ended up getting them slabbed by PSA . I'm wondering if I should get the SGC authenticated cards authenticated by PSA/DNA . SGC stuff doesn't seem to get anywhere the money that PSA/DNA does.

Comments

• Options
    Yes, I would cross SGC to PSA/DNA, if the intent is to sell.

Are you aware that SGC's lead autograph authenticator is also eBay's biggest seller of SGC authenticated autos?
  • Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭
    I would not use SGC's auto authentication service.
  • Options
    I picked up SGC Authenticated Autograph Rookies Dick Butkus , Mean Joe Greene, and Larry Csonka for a total of $200 shipped . That is a good $450 worth of cards easy. I will probably get these 3 done on the next Red Flip special .
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    Yes, I would cross SGC to PSA/DNA, if the intent is to sell.

Are you aware that SGC's lead autograph authenticator is also eBay's biggest seller of SGC authenticated autos?

I wasn't please share
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I do know that a couple of JSA's top authenticators parted ways with JSA and have been authenticating for SGC....or at least they were. I have not heard otherwise and I have a pretty darn good source.

From what I have seen, there has been just as good consistency with authentication as PSA. I havent seen anything horrible at all.

SGC does have a decent reputation and I'm sure they won't want that to change. I think they are just as safe to have items authenticated.

The probable reason you are seeing the boom is because their fees are extremely reasonable and their turn around times are really good.

I have used them a couple of times. Been pleased.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always been pleased with sgc.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    So I gather that other than not getting the prices that PSA/DNA gets , there is really nothing wrong with SGC .
  • Options
    SGC is the only other company I'd use besides PSA but they will never get out from under the assumption that PSA is the superior company. I don't think that's completely true I have had SGC cards cross many times and once had a 68 Brooks cracked out of a SGC 88 holder come back a PSA 10. Two reasons to go with PSA IMO...they simply have 90 to 95 percent of the graded material on the market and filling my vintage sets in is about 100 times easier than looking for SGC cards. A good example would be this past national I picked up 140 1955 topps 7's at one table I don't remember seeing one 55 topps common in a SGC slab anywhere. The other reason is PSA stuff sells and anything in an SGC holder is usually started out by the buyer saying......so why didn't you go with PSA or I'll give you this instead of what your asking cause after all I have to try and cross it. I think some great deals are found in SGC slabs myself. Not sure who said there pretty much a basement organization at the moment? Kinda hard to overlook the fact that as a company they holder some big big cards.
  • Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cardsnbead

So I gather that other than not getting the prices that PSA/DNA gets , there is really nothing wrong with SGC .

You have gathered wrong, my friend.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TheMick6

SGC is the only other company I'd use besides PSA but they will never get out from under the assumption that PSA is the superior company. I don't think that's completely true I have had SGC cards cross many times and once had a 68 Brooks cracked out of a SGC 88 holder come back a PSA 10. Two reasons to go with PSA IMO...they simply have 90 to 95 percent of the graded material on the market and filling my vintage sets in is about 100 times easier than looking for SGC cards. A good example would be this past national I picked up 140 1955 topps 7's at one table I don't remember seeing one 55 topps common in a SGC slab anywhere. The other reason is PSA stuff sells and anything in an SGC holder is usually started out by the buyer saying......so why didn't you go with PSA or I'll give you this instead of what your asking cause after all I have to try and cross it. I think some great deals are found in SGC slabs myself. Not sure who said there pretty much a basement organization at the moment? Kinda hard to overlook the fact that as a company they holder some big big cards.

Yeah the basement organization comment looked like an attempt by someone to kiss PSA's a$.$. since this is their site image. Pretty much back what you say about finding very worthy cards in SGC slabs. Their pre war grading trumps PSA's on the whole, IMO.