Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1956 Mantle

Good morning. I recently bought a 56 psa 7 Mantle. The card looks nice, but for whatever reason I started googling and came across the below article (that references a 56 psa 7, amongst others)...

http://bbcemporium.com/california-craigs-list-psa-scam/

I haven't been able to locate any direct articles to counterfeit 56 Mantles. Does anybody happen to know any of the telltale signs of a fake?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Post a scan of your card (please). That will help.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Both 707 Sportscards and Dean's Cards have several PSA 6s on their web sites where you can get enlarged pictures of both front and backs for comparison. Do you have a gray back ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe this article predates the new PSA holder, which is much more difficult to crack open without destroying. Have there been any documented fakes using the new holder?
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    This article was written by me a few years ago and did predate the new PSA holder. As mentioned by others, just post a scan of the card here and there are several people who can help you identify if the card is authentic.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭
    It's an old label. I'm sending to psa, but was hoping to see if there are any specific characteristics to keep an eye out for.

Also, i there a way to post a puc from a phone? I have a screenshot.

Thanks again

• Options
    Yes, gray back.
  • Options
    misinformation... my bad
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I heard that a fake 1980-81 Topps Bird/Magic card in a PSA 10 was floating around the National. Not sure about the details
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I didn't take the time to research this, but there is an old article that is really good concerning counterfeit Mantles. Actually, after reading the article, it would be quite easy to spot them. Almost every year has been copied, but the printing dots and the coloring shades are the main way to detect fakes. I think there are some fonts that have been used that are wrong as well.
    I just can't remember where online I found it...
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    What is the search to get the CU forum on tapatalk? Tried a few different, but couldn't find CU.

Thanks