Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

SOLD: 1978 Canada $100 gold Unity commem, PCGS PR66 DCAM w/Trueviews

Taking offers here until midnight Eastern on Sunday, 8/21.

By selling this coin, which you see at far right in my current signature line banner, I am about to (temporarily) make my "Eclectic Box of 20" a "Box of 19", but it's in a good cause. A forum member is going to be setting me up with a proper DSLR camera and accessories so maybe I can finally graduate to real coin photography instead of using a scanner or fumbling with a point-and-shoot camera. So I need to work up the funds for that.

If you click the NGC/Krause priceguide link below, you will see that the generic proof value on this coin is $950.00. Melt value as of this posting is $673.52. So I am in it for pretty close to melt, with my cost being $677.50 after the PCGS regrade. This coin is pop. 1 in PR66 DCAM, with 19 graded higher at PCGS. It used to be in a NGC PR67 UCAM holder.

Make me an offer accordingly, if you feel so inclined. Thanks for looking.

*** SOLD ***

Canada: gold 100-dollars proof of Elizabeth II, Canadian Unity commemorative, 1978

(This first "shadowbox" image was made from the Trueview. You can see that in the link below.)

Obverse: younger draped bust of Elizabeth II right.

Reverse: twelve Canada geese flying right, representing the ten Canadian provinces and two territories of the time.

KM 122, .917 gold/.5002 oz. Mintage: 200,000. PCGS PR66 DCAM, cert.# 32089338. (Formerly NGC PF67 UCAM, Cert.# 2794652-020.) Ex- "Stork" (Collectors Universe), 03/11/2015.

Larger image

PCGS cert verification page (w/TrueView image link)

NGC/Krause priceguide trends

Previous NGC cert verification page

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have received two offers so far. A $725 offer is on the table now, which I will accept on Sunday night if nobody tops it. Thanks for looking.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice coin and I'd consider it...except now I'm looking at the same photo equipment source as you ( image ), thanks for the tip BTW) so that would be a big no on a big purchase. I'm sure you'll get another good one to replace it with. Think of it this way, you will improve your pictures, which will improve your sale prices, thus you will make back your money...so it's really an investment image. I'm good at the justifying game.

PS, I think PCGS was being a bit harsh. I thought the 67 grade was more fair, of course that could be (previous) owner's bias.

• Options
    Standing bid has been upped to $735.

Originally posted by: Stork

Think of it this way, you will improve your pictures, which will improve your sale prices, thus you will make back your money...so it's really an investment image.

These were my exact thoughts in the matter.

PS, I think PCGS was being a bit harsh. I thought the 67 grade was more fair, of course that could be (previous) owner's bias.

I dunno. I could see it either way, at the old NGC 67 or current PCGS 66 grade.

The one-point slapdown didn't bother me so much in this particular case.

And thank you for selling me this one a while back. I do think it is a lovely coin, and I have not minded having one modern "widget" with a bit of bullion value to it in my set. I knew it might come in handy at a time like this. Maybe later I'll replace it with another piece of flashy proof gold that can be acquired near melt.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Stork

Think of it this way, you will improve your pictures, which will improve your sale prices, thus you will make back your money...so it's really an investment image.

These were my exact thoughts in the matter.

I dunno. I could see it either way, at the old NGC 67 or current PCGS 66 grade.

The one-point slapdown didn't bother me so much in this particular case.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hope the new camera stuff will be canon...including a macro lens.
    IMO the best who has a direct connection built in to use your mouse to operate the camera when it is connected to your computer.
    also an excellent SW with it for image correction etc.
    My Canon body is mounted permanently on a old modified enlarger stand. works like a charm.
    good luck with both, the sale of the coin and the buy of the camera.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin deserves a plus!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: YQQ

hope the new camera stuff will be canon...including a macro lens.

IMO the best who has a direct connection built in to use your mouse to operate the camera when it is connected to your computer.

also an excellent SW with it for image correction etc.

My Canon body is mounted permanently on a old modified enlarger stand. works like a charm.

good luck with both, the sale of the coin and the buy of the camera.

Thanks.

Since I've had a few questions about this setup and who is putting it together for me, here is the rundown.

Camera: $175 (low shutter count Canon Rebel XS with battery, charger, USB cable, tethering and editing software)

Stand: $225 (System-1)

Bellows: $135 (Novoflex)

Full-Coin Lens: $85 (Nikon 75mm EL-Nikkor)

Diffuser: $35 (general use as shown in System-2)

Lights: $50/pair (Jansjo LEDs modified for first-level diffusion)

Carrying Case: $75

Plus $60 shipping to my location.

The system is being put together by Ray Parkhurst of MacroCoins, aka "rmpsrpms" on the forums.

Here is his BST post.

Here is his website.

This is shown as System 1 on the website.