Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Public Service Announcement Regarding Top Loaders

I'm looking into messing around with doing a youtube channel & perhaps a podcast. While trying some things out, I made this video. Please watch - it has very important information that America needs to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4RjjKCP9YE

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!

Comments

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    I just got a card in a bubble envelope without tape on the top and the card had slid out and suffered corner damage. I'm ok with the tape.
  • Options
    mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PMKAY

I just got a card in a bubble envelope without tape on the top and the card had slid out and suffered corner damage. I'm ok with the tape.

Personally for me, I think it should go like this:

card in penny sleeve

sleeved card in top loader

sleeved card in top loader accompanied with 1-2 decoys in team bag

sleeved card in top loader accompanied with 1-2 decoys in team bag in padded envelope ... or box sometimes.

That is just me though image

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Put the card in a CS1 between 2 pieces of cardboard (even something as thin as a fedex envelope will do). CS1 will avoid any moving around and the cardboard will add protection. Insert in bubble mailer and add $2.45 postage.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I like to fold over the tape at the end, so that it can be grabbed easily and peeled off.
  • Options
    Painters tape comes off with no residue
  • Options
    sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    100 team bags are $3. I always use team bags. There is always a slight chance of damaging a card when you have to remove tape.
  • Options
    effeeffe Posts: 190 ✭✭
    I just fold a post-it note over the opening. The stick-em holds it in place.
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭
    I put a single card in penny sleeve that I slit one corner so the corners don't get damaged.
    Then into top loader than I use a Avery Removable Multi-Use Label 5/16" x 1/2" at the top center
    of the top loader instead of tape. Then 2 pieces of cardboard on both sides of the top loader and
    into the bubble mailer.

I also use a Avery Removable Multi-Use Label 5/16" x 1/2" on the back of the top loader to write
    the year of card price I bought the card and what I an looking to sell it for then remove them when
    I sell the card they come 1100 labels in a pack. These are the size designed to go on keys.

I have only had two packages in the last 10 years get damaged and those looked like they went
    through a wood chipper.

James
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Many sellers now use the simple practice of inserting a loose card into a top loader and tossing it into a bubble mailer. However, as long as it arrives damage free and not dangling out of the top loader subjecting corners to damage, I guess we're ok. We've had a few close calls on rather valuable items.

Other packaging atrocities include a card inside a folded up Kleenex, or loose inside a greeting card, or the absolute best is the raw card placed between two portions of plastic casing which don't match and then wrapped with about 12 layers of duct tape.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq

Put the card in a CS1 between 2 pieces of cardboard (even something as thin as a fedex envelope will do). CS1 will avoid any moving around and the cardboard will add protection. Insert in bubble mailer and add $2.45 postage.

+1

This is the correct way to ship cards. They really shouldn't be mailed any other way. I can ship around 5-7 raw cards this way for about $3.00, Anything else and it's just laziness on the sellers part (imo).
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MrNearMint

+1

This is the correct way to ship cards. They really shouldn't be mailed any other way. I can ship around 5-7 raw cards this way for about $3.00, Anything else and it's just laziness on the sellers part (imo).

Laziness would imply less effort. If I substitute a toploader and painters tape instead of a card saver I'm lazy? I don't get it.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

Originally posted by: MrNearMint

+1

Laziness would imply less effort. If I substitute a toploader and painters tape instead of a card saver I'm lazy? I don't get it.

Penny sleeve

top loader, card saver or equivalent

sandwiched between cardboard

bubble mailer

Do you get it now, Dan? Maybe this is too simple for you
  • Options
    Wow, pretty worked up there, bud. Just saying, I prefer toploaders to cardsavers. That's all. If PSA didn't require CS1's for submissions, I wouldn't even have any in my house. But agree that in the case of shipping, either is acceptable if it's reinforced with cardboard.

I, too, have received cards loose inside a greeting card. Just terrible.
  • Options
    mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭
    Just a quick mention - I don't hate anyone who tapes toploaders. This was just an excuse to make a gag video image
  • Options
    I like to do the following:

1. Insert into Penny Sleeve
    2. Insert into Top Loader
    3. Sandwhich Top loader in between 4 other toploaders
    4. Tape all around top loaders in every direction imaginable. And I'm not talking painter's tape. It's gotta be stronger-Usually shipping tape or duct tape.
    5. Purchase small safe from local hardware store
    6. Insert card into safe. But before doing so fill the safe full with pillows and leave only enough room for the toploader package.
    7. Insert safe into USPS flat rate box and ship out. Be sure to include the key or combination to the safe.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: RyanAdmirer

I like to do the following:

1. Insert into Penny Sleeve

2. Insert into Top Loader

3. Sandwhich Top loader in between 4 other toploaders

4. Tape all around top loaders in every direction imaginable. And I'm not talking painter's tape. It's gotta be stronger-Usually shipping tape or duct tape.

5. Purchase small safe from local hardware store

6. Insert card into safe. But before doing so fill the safe full with pillows and leave only enough room for the toploader package.

7. Insert safe into USPS flat rate box and ship out. Be sure to include the key or combination to the safe.

I can see it now...

Negative: Safe with combination lock was difficult to open. Took me 5 tries. And the pillows were not from a non-smoking home. Would not recommend this seller.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was entertaining Tanner.

I rarely if ever post on this kind of stuff since it would be redundant but "I hate scotch tape!"

I once ruined the face of a board game due to faulty placement of the tape that I missed and while I was removing the game from the plastic bag, the tape grabbed the box top and I had no choice but to cut the tape from the bag and leave it on the game since it would've pulled the thin early 1900 paper from it. Was very disappointed.

And the over use of tape on top loaders and other stuff just makes it a total chore.

The shame is the packer's intent is to help me insure it gets to me in one piece.

And last, I once read someone's FB before bidding due to a recent Neg. The neg read: too much tape - impossible to open!
    Mike
  • Options
    eliteco3eliteco3 Posts: 25 ✭✭
    I totally agree with you on this. I cannot tell you the amount of times I have opened a package to find a card halfway out of a toploader. People please tape your cards into secure the card. It is such a simple step that is overlooked by many sellers. I use painters tape so the buyer can easily take the tape off if they would like to. Team bags are also a nice touch to ward off dust. Decoys are mandatory because the shipping process can be risky.
    A proud collector of PSA products and avid hobby fan
  • Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine as well. But I must say that more often then not I receive cards in top loaders that look like they are from a time when Jose Canseco was still playing so I need to replace them anyway.