Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What happened to Probstein?

So, I have no ulterior motives of any kind and I am just curious frankly. Someone posted an old thread and I noticed Probstein posting in the forum and it seemed he used to be pretty active and then POOF! Without any warning he just disappears and never posts again. He is obviously still alive and well, but anyone know the backstory on why he never posts any more??
On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.

Comments

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    I was always curious on this too, and I believe the same could be said for lots of good members here. Reading all these old threads that have been bumped lately, it's amazing how busy it was here at one time. Did everyone leave voluntarily or did the bam hammer come out?
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    I don't know why he doesn't post here, but I believe he is still ACTIVELY ACCEPTING CONSIGNMENTS!!
  • Options
    Rick Probstein deserves an apology.
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he got mad at members of this forum a couple years ago. If I remember correctly, he was doing some type of raffle or something similar on eBay before the National. They way he was doing it was against eBay's rules and a couple members from here reported it. The listing was taken down. There was a video from the National where he made a point if mentioning that this forum was the reason for the listing being removed. I think it was the year he had the chocolate eating contest.

James
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jfkheat
    I think he got mad at members of this forum a couple years ago. If I remember correctly, he was doing some type of raffle or something similar on eBay before the National. They way he was doing it was against eBay's rules and a couple members from here reported it. The listing was taken down. There was a video from the National where he made a point if mentioning that this forum was the reason for the listing being removed. I think it was the year he had the chocolate eating contest.
    James

OMG that chocolate eating contest was bananas!

He didn't post that much but it was nice to have him posting.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sushihotwings

.....it seemed he used to be pretty active.....

Those long, drawn out, porch swing conversations must have been quite memorable. Oh, the stories they tell.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I am guessing he stopped posting on here as his business grew. I think PSA/CU does not necessarily want dealers posting on here regularly as it can be seen as free advertising. Tom (OPCBaseball) was quite active on here as well but when he started his website he scaled back his posts as well.
    Steve
  • Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    If you click on his post history, his last post was nothing memorable or special or adversarial. And then he just disappeared into thin air. Just odd. If you are on here for any period of time you start to develop acquaintances or online friends. Only human nature. You would think there would be some kind of "hey guys I won't be active any more here for reason xyz". Nice talking or getting to know you guys or something like that. It's not like he got out of the hobby. Last posts didn't indicate any fighting with any one. Did CU ask him to leave? The number of people that got banned is starting to feel somewhat like censorship. I know I know. This is not the public square but come on. Are there a couple of members that are too sensitive? Tattle tails who runs to the moderator making a stink about everything forcing CU hand? When you buy and sell cards and have a website I don't consider posts a conflict of interest or pushing your business as long as you are transparent who cares. There was something I posted one time that got removed that was very benign. Made me think somebody reported it. I doubt the moderator reads most posts here. Apparently somebody cares and the forum suffers by losing quality members. Are we in China?
  • Options
    There are some overly sensitive members here who do complain to the mods...it sucks and I definitely don't agree with it, but I learned a long time ago that true feelings about the hobby should either be left to personal interaction or other more non-moderated boards.
  • Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    As anywhere in life people should know it's ok to walk by a group of people having a conversation and not get involved or offended complain to or about them. It causes people to not want to post when people get crazy or worked up about minor issues and say things they wouldn't dare say to someone in person. Also the line between business and collecting has gotten very blurry and that is fine. It's not like SGC is posting in the forum about their products. I would love to have some of the larger dealers posting their thoughts in here. Fine. Take it with a grain of salt, but don't run them out. They likely still have valuable things to say. It is too bad.
  • Options
    As anywhere in life people should know it's ok to walk by a group of people having a conversation and not get involved or offended complain to or about them. It causes people to not want to post when people get crazy or worked up about minor issues and say things they wouldn't dare say to someone in person. Also the line between business and collecting has gotten very blurry and that is fine. It's not like SGC is posting in the forum about their products. I would love to have some of the larger dealers posting their thoughts in here. Fine. Take it with a grain of salt, but don't run them out. They likely still have valuable things to say. It is too bad.

Great post and I agree no true whales post here. As you mentioned, it would be great to hear hobby stories and thoughts from premiere dealers and collectors in the hobby. Could you imagine a "BBCE travel" thread posting all of their buying experiences, or Donald Spence talking about his collection? That would be incredible...

I also think places like Facebook, Twitter, and other social media has slowly replaced forums, but I could very well be wrong with that.

I agree too with the whole "if you don't like a subject move on", but it's just never been that easy here or so it seems...

Jimmy
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (I apologize for the length)

First, I believe the Registry Forum is no where near as active as it was years ago.

Plus, there was some "big" collectors who used to post here.

We had what some called the "Beckett" infiltration of our forum - with sophomoric rhetoric that eventually forced many to leave.

Many real "characters" like Scumbi (aka PSatan) just disappeared - much to my disappointment. He wrote a thread called something like the case of the Goudeys that was epic - I looked for it but couldn't find it.

Perhaps after the crash, big time collector Davilillo disappeared from the Reg. Forum - for those who may no know him - he accomplished something epic - 100+ vintage sets in PSA 8 or better.

Dealers may be accused of "spamming" - so they eventually leave and only return to refute a claim?

Many, many have been banned or just moved on.

I'm impressed with how many people leave the hobby for good.

There was almost a sense of reverence to post here when I first started.

Yes, there were some monumental train wrecks. One of the best? Roach vs. Beachbum - went for days, and days, and days and days.

But, there's been some totally entertaining threads like the that of the amazing Collector222.

Perhaps this forum could use a resurgence?

It takes quite a bit of time to put something together that's informative but I've learned that a lot of the stuff I collect has little or no appreciation here and that's OK. If just 1 person appreciates? I'm good.

I have to say - from my experience - collectors with immense knowledge have never spent a bunch of time posting here.

Anyone who shares of themselves here is a "Major" contributor in my book.

Last, there's no special entitlement for the number of posts or years here. The bestowment of Respect is attained the old fashioned way - ya gotta Earn it.
    Mike
  • Options
    Well said, mike, especially the end. And count me among those who really enjoy your posts. You collect stuff that I don't see every day. No offense to the Mantle collectors, but I've seen those a thousand times, even though they're awesome. Vending machines and board games? Now that's cool!
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Sadly this forum is of a dying breed. Every month that goes by it becomes less and less active.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: brendanb438

Sadly this forum is of a dying breed. Every month that goes by it becomes less and less active.

In general, I agree, and I've posted the same thing. But has anybody noticed the past 2 weeks activity has picked up a little? Maybe a post Natty bump?
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I couldn't have said it better myself. The CU boards are not the same as they were 5 years ago. But then again, they were different 5 years before that. Things change. People come and go and some people stay. It seems a lot of the older guys have left but we don't have near the sophmoric BS we had 3 years ago either.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stone193

Anyone who shares of themselves here is a "Major" contributor in my book.

Exactly my thinking, and not just with baseball cards but with everything in life. Great post.

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    All the good ol' boys from this forum created a secret forum, it was invite only.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    If you click on his post history, his last post was nothing memorable or special or adversarial. And then he just disappeared into thin air. Just odd. If you are on here for any period of time you start to develop acquaintances or online friends. Only human nature. You would think there would be some kind of "hey guys I won't be active any more here for reason xyz". Nice talking or getting to know you guys or something like that. It's not like he got out of the hobby. Last posts didn't indicate any fighting with any one. Did CU ask him to leave? The number of people that got banned is starting to feel somewhat like censorship. I know I know. This is not the public square but come on. Are there a couple of members that are too sensitive? Tattle tails who runs to the moderator making a stink about everything forcing CU hand? When you buy and sell cards and have a website I don't consider posts a conflict of interest or pushing your business as long as you are transparent who cares. There was something I posted one time that got removed that was very benign. Made me think somebody reported it. I doubt the moderator reads most posts here. Apparently somebody cares and the forum suffers by losing quality members. Are we in China?

Personally, I have no problems with most of what you are saying. But from Collectors Universe's perspective they are a publicly traded company and they are responsible for this forum and its content. They have chosen a set of rules that best reflect what CLCT management is comfortable with. Like it or not it is what it is. Where most threads get derailed is when someone makes it personal i.e. making a statement such as "you are doing this group rip for your own personal gain" without any facts to back it up.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Allen

All the good ol' boys from this forum created a secret forum, it was invite only.

Hiya Colton

It's private but "not" secret.

It was actually started back in 04 due to the "restrictions" on what one could say/comment on regarding AHs, eBay venders etc.

I'm assuming you're talking about Lets Talk About Sportscards?

It was an open forum for the first 1/2 year and then closed due to people coming in who may have been trolling.

If anyone is interested in another forum? That's all they have to do from perspective is PM me.

Mike
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Having just returned to the hobby and the message boards, it does look vastly different. It's nice to see some familiar names, but all those that were active when I started are gone. Even though I didn't collect the sets, I did enjoy the daily (sometimes hourly) posts about 1965 Topps, 1969 Topps, 1972 Topps, 1964 Topps Giants, and of course the 1970 Kelloggs.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where have you gone, Gumbyfan?(one of my favorites that doesn't post anymore)

I do miss the fact that like Stone said, the registry forum just isn't very active anymore.
    I've tried a few times to get the 1975 collectors thread going but nobody seems interested.

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    I miss Davilillo's posts. His collection was indeed epic, but if I remember correctly, he started to posting less frequently after someone accused him of bragging about his sets. It was unfortunate that he took it personally, if that's what happened, but it's even more unfortunate when members on here publicly turn on one another, when things can be better handled privately with a PM.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never really thought of Rick as a regular poster at any point over the past 10 years I've been here. He's popped in every now and then but it's not like he ever really posted on any type of regular basis. He deals with cards but I would say that's more of his business than his hobby.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Probe-steen,Probe-Stine? Prob-steen,Prob-stine?

Dr. F
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Darin
    Where have you gone, Gumbyfan?(one of my favorites that doesn't post anymore)
    I still speak with Craig from time to time, although it's probably been at least a year. He's doing well, but is no longer collecting.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
    Probstein pulled a Harbaugh and took his ball & went home!
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Mark, I think you hit the nail on the head. Things change and that includes the hobby itself. The hobby itself is no where near what it was 5, 10, even 15 years ago (good, bad, or indifferent). The MFG have also played a major role in the change. I know many collectors who think had the items like signatures, game used bats and jerseys, and serial numbered cards not hit the market, the hobby may have suffered another set back (mass production era). The MFG realize the they need to keep producing a product that draws the new collectors in. The huge cost upswing in vintage has also put some people out of the hobby. There was a time when collectors with shallow pockets could still afford some really great condition cards, but can no longer do it.

Having said all that, the bottom line is the changes in the hobby effect the participation on the boards. There have been many personal beefs discussed on the boards that should have been done in private messaging. There was a time when it seemed like every time I logged on, there was a blow up about "who said, he said this". For a garden to flourish, you have to remove the weeds. There is still a enormous about of knowledge and experience on the boards, and that is the reason I always look forward to "checking in". Here are my two wishes for the board.

1. If you are new to collecting or just wanting to learn .... ask!!!!
    2. Those who have the knowledge .... share!!!!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Allen

Was bubblebathgirl/bubblegumgirl invited?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I don't know for certain, but I'd be "Elizabeth, it's the big one" shocked if packresealingkitsellergirl was on the invite list.

Last year (I think) I invited him to join CBT (now defunct) for a short period of time, but the near mutiny that resulted wasn't worth the hassle.
  • Options
    For those who've been here 10 years or more?

Just check your PM record - you'll see names you might now not even remember.

Who remembers KallMaloneSay or Big Kid at Heart?

or Aknot or Bearsnum34? It's like digging up King Tut's tomb.
    Mike
  • Options
    I am what some people have called a Beckett refugee ...... That forum just seemed to be a click the few post I've made on here I've loved to chat with other people that enjoy this great hobby and blowout is just asking to get rocks thrown at you there .... Lol. WOW
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stone193

It's like digging up King Tut's tomb.

Or pandrews' basement.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I'm still here.

And yes, bubblebathgirl shared some great knowledge with the boards on collation runs. She was right on each time I ripped an older pack.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jmmiller777

I'm still here.

And yes, bubblebathgirl shared some great knowledge with the boards on collation runs. She was right on each time I ripped an older pack.

Hiya John.

Mike