Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

MPC question about how they survived

I dont know much about them, but there seem to be a decent amount of them out there... they were saved by GI's even though they were valueless (not able to be redeemed at face)?

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My father missed a C-day while out in the field in 'Nam which is why I have a small pile of Series 661 notes. He only brought back one Series 681, a small change note so he made that C-day. Those and a few Vietnamese, Japanese and Australian coins were the nucleus of my collection. My brother and I used to use the 661 small change notes as play money when we were kids.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    Some would have been saved as souvenirs. Some were lost or forgotten on C-Day. Some were in the hands of locals who were unable to exchange them on C-Day. Some were purloined by destruction agents after C-Day instead of burning them.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "C-Day", referred to in the above two post, was the only day that current notes were redeemed and replaced with a new series. If you missed to redemption day, the notes could no longer be used as currency or cashed in, so they became souvenirs.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    description of "C" day and why it was necessary.

Text
  • great article... this line is amazing:

Since Vietnamese were not allowed to convert the currency, they frequently lost savings by holding old, worthless MPC. People angry over their MPC loss would sometimes attack the nearest U.S. base the next night in retaliation.
  • lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Maxcrusha
    great article... this line is amazing:

Since Vietnamese were not allowed to convert the currency, they frequently lost savings by holding old, worthless MPC. People angry over their MPC loss would sometimes attack the nearest U.S. base the next night in retaliation.

Although the date of C-day was supposed to be secret, the locals often knew in advance.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lettow

Although the date of C-day was supposed to be secret, the locals often knew in advance.

And got rid of the MPC quickly.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • I just bought this, as I am excited by these MPC's

• delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Fascinating; great radar!