Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Samples By Year Of Issue, 2005-2012 (Updated 11-28-23)

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 28, 2023 4:44PM in U.S. Coin Forum
Samples that defy being pigeon-holed into a generation! The holders/samples that follow just don't fit neatly into the PCGS generations scheme but are still collectible. I've chosen to simply put them into the year of issue as that is the easiest way to find out if you need them or not. Each year will be the heading followed by the holders/samples that fit best in that year. This includes the Asian and European samples.

Shown earlier in Sample generation 6, posted here as well because of the date on the reverse.

This is a sample posted by David Schwager in his Feb. 2018 newsletter, interesting both for containing a gold coin and also being from the 1st year of issue. True Wealth Alliance refers to investment advisor Stansberry Research and their "True Wealth" research newsletter issued monthly.

2005 Christmas sample likely made by an employee on the side rather than an official PCGS product. These "lunchtime pieces" are some of the more interesting "samples" to collect and hard to find! The 2 that I've seen have a D mintmark rather than the P on the label.

This anecdote is included in David Schwager's Sample Slabs book.
"With the permission of his employer, PCGS grader Mike Vanyur made about 10 of these slabs as Christmas gifts for friends and family. He picked out high end mint state California quarters and had them encapsulated with a Christmas message.

PCGS made plenty of samples for the public and limited samples for special customers. You will almost never, however, see a slab like this one made for private use. "

ASE given out to celebrate 20 years in business.

Gold samples are few and far between, this one graded "Genuine" from the True Wealth Alliance started in 2005. Like the Stansberry samples, once in a while too many are made and they are offered on the secondary market.

Presumably a corporate promotion but I don't know the details - PM's appreciated if you do. image

Christmas gift from Rick Snow in 2007 for his customers.

Issued in 2007, 200 made. One of the more attractive Asia issues. Have seen 3 presidents so far, likely 4 so the population of each is likely 50.

These, like the 2008 Presidential samples which follow, are a mystery. Not sure when/where these were given out. No grade on these, MS as opposed to Proof on the 2008 issues.

These 2 were said to be "VIP" samples. I don't know anything more than that and have put them here because of the 2008 on the holder. If you have any more specific information or examples with different Presidents, please let me know.

Another Presidential sample, unsure of when these were issued. So far no info on the US Coin forum regarding date of issue or what shows.

PCGS sample, limited edition for Christmas 2009, likely for dealer submitters. Total made?? Given the bullion value, I imagine many of these were cracked out. The survival number is unknown.

This was one of the coins given away by PCGS to a subscriber of the e-zine, the monthly newsletter, 3-31-09. They started the giveaway in November 2008. I tried to buy the first coin ever given out but after contacting the listed winner, he claims to have never received the coin even after contacting PCGS. image

This was likely a dealer sample given out at the Las Vegas show. While it's a "member" show, typically the trinkets are given to the dealers who attend and have a table. Same for the PCGS Members Only shirts.

This sample was offered in July 2018 in the Muddonk sale bringing $229.49. Neat holder that isn't really a PCGS sample but fits here nicely.

This was given away March 2010. Grades "88". image Interesting to see the mock up of the slab from the PCGS website in comparison (second photo below the actual slab).

For some reason, these are scarcer to find than the 2009 version. Other than the change in the date, identical to the 2009 version.

2010 sample from the Garden State Numismatic Society - fun when something previously not seen comes available, this one Sept. 2017.

Another 2010 sample came available Sept. 2017, this commemorating the 100th Anniversary of Father's Day. Will need to do some research on how many were made but it has to be at least scarce not having seen another since 2010.

These were given out during the World Money Fair in Berlin January 2011.

These were produced to celebrate the 25th anniversary of PCGS's founding. All seen to date have the 1986 quarter, 1986 the founding year for PCGS.

Issued for the 2011 Hong Kong Int. Coin Convention August 2011. Web site on the reverse is www.pcgsglobal.com which by 2013 changes to www.PCGSAsia.com.

From the Nov. 2011 BICE show.

Probably a dealer vs VIP sample given the value of the 2012 ASE within. 2012 date on the obverse, PCGS Opening on the reverse. Interesting that an American coin would be used for a Chinese show. These are at least scarce and not often offered.

This was issued for the Beijing International Stamp and Coin Exposition, again featuring a US coin. Not sure why a 2009-D Lincoln was chosen?? This one shows moderate spotting.

Another Hong Kong Opening sample, April 2012 with a 2011 5 Jiao coin. Coin grade is 80! Nonsense serial number with sample in small letters after the barcode.

This one is very similar to the preceding sample but w/o the red background and from August 2012.

Issued at the Sept. 2012 Long Beach show, a James Monroe $1.

Not sure when this was issued, guessing 2012. If you know, PM appreciated.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Updated the 2005 Christmas slab with info from Schwager's book!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file