Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA grading question - national submission

At the Natty in AC I turned in 3 cards for review and 3 raw cards to get graded. Will get the cards tomorrow, but here is my question about the grading and review process - I never do this so I am an amateur at this.

I turned in two Mantles and a Koufax rookie that were already PSA graded and I submitted them slabbed. PSA was slammed and took about an hour to get through line and get waited on. When the lady from PSA came up I had the sheet filled out and I told her I wanted the cards reviewed to see if they will bump - did not want them cracked out unless they went up a grade. They charged me $200 for the 53 Mantle and $85 each for the 56 Mantle and 55 Koufax - I could not stay that day and had them shipped back to my home address.
I checked my sheet and there is nothing checked for the service level - the girl took the sheet from me and started writing on it and filling it out.

My question is there any circumstance where they would take the cards out and give me a lower grade based on my submission, or do they review them and only crack them if they bump the card. Thank you in advance for the help.

KC

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will crack the card out in certain cases if they feel they need to get a better assessment of the card's condition (usually when they are on the fence about the bump). Generally speaking, a card cannot be downgraded on review. However, if that were the case, they would reholoder the card and reimburse you for the difference in value between grades. This should really never happen, though, as cards that are submitted for review should be high end for the grade to begin with, not overgraded.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim - thank you for the help. Here are the cards for review minus the Koufax which I bought at the show. Fingers crossed.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keith, just give PSA my address so they can ship the 53 to me! image Just cut out the middle man!
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Keith, That 53 Mantle is absolutely beautiful. I can't imagine that not bumping.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Both are gorgeous cards... that 56 Mantle would look amazing in my set!

I have a hard time seeing PSA giving either of these a bump though. Both, based on the cert numbers and the hologramed label, appear to be cards either graded or already reviewed within the past year. You're likely going to have some of the same graders doing the review, that just very recently gave those cards the grades they currently have.

With the 53, that top edge damage will likely keep it a 5... I don't think the centering is strong enough to warrant a bump to 5.5

With the 56, I guess it would come down to surface/gloss/registration that we can't tell from a scanned image... but otherwise, looks good enough for a 6.5 bump to me
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently graded cards can be reviewed and bumped. My recent submission had 3 cards 239xxx....244xxx...and 249xxx...all were bumped.
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mintonlypls

Recently graded cards can be reviewed and bumped. My recent submission had 3 cards 239xxx....244xxx...and 249xxx...all were bumped.

+1

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    top damage on the 53 is a killer
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses guys. Maybe they bump and maybe they don't. Had a few VERY intelligent collectors/dealers tell me to absolutely review them after seeing them so I did. 53 does have something going on up at the top, but I have also had offers in the high 4 figures to low 5 figures for the card. A better grade would help it move better whenever that time comes, but even if it does not bump I enjoy the card and hardly paid anything for it. The 56 I really liked - so much so I sold my PSA 7 and 8 at the Natty. Now I have to work on my Mantle run from 1961-1969 and I am done.

Glad to see some of the usual Mr Positive awards chime in - always appreciated image

KC
  • Options
    Got my cards back and the Koufax rookie and 53 Mantle did not move, but knew they were going to be close. I agree with the assessment on all 3 reviews. For the 53 I don't mind the grade becsuse unless I want to spend $40k more it will be difficult to find another one with the same eye appeal.

Did get good news on this guy image

KC
  • Options
    Congrats, KC, on the bump!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice bump on the 56

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Originally posted by: CrissCriss
    You had a 5 figure offer on the 53 & didn't sell it? Someone at the show - I can't remember who - had a gorgeous 6 in the 10-15K range. Could've moved your 5 for that one but don't know if you saw it.

I have had multiple offers for my 53 Mantle. Years back I had an 8(pre 1/2 point grading system) that would have been an easy 8.5 today, and it had a perfect lower red corner. Many have stated the same on my current one, and if you check the recent sales of PSA 7/8's of this issue it is extremely difficult to find without the chipping of that corner without spending $40-50k these days.

I did not sell it because I am working on a complete run of Mantle's from Topps from 1952-1969 that are high end for the grade and centered nicely. Prefer PSA 8 or higher, but I am having some luck finding some 7's that look very strong and saves a ton of money. If I did sell the 53 it would be part of the entire run. Maybe send little guy to college and buy some type of fast and unnecessary sports car as well with the extra dough image - or just more baseball cards!

KC
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keith...congrats on the 56 Mantle bump! Nice looking card and deserving of the bump...
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    I might have seen it. Was the asking price around $14-15k? Since I paid about the same as a Jordan PSA 8 rookie priced about a year ago for mine I would have a hard time spending $10-15k for another one. Have too many other needs in my collection right now. Thank you for the note.

KC
  • Options
    Finally got a photo of the Koufax.

KC
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    congrats on the bump...dont worry about the '53....i think the market has yet to recognize its beauty and appeal...and even more it affordability..esp vs the 52s......tho i think the price increases are starting to kick in and its relative "cheapness" is being discovered....fortunately not by the infamous 10-30 group..yet.......the eye appeal of your '53 will command a nice dollar

unfort i already bought the unnecessary sports car but thats a discussion for later. image
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image