Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Does this SGC 1972 Dr. J rookie have a chance to cross evenly to PSA? - New scan added

Picked up a card tonight that I've wanted for a while, and had a question for the members here. Does this card have a chance to get into a PSA 7 holder? If not by crossover, maybe by crack and sub. Corner wear is hard to see in this picture so I will post a better scan later in the week when I have it in hand, but I wanted to get some early ideas.

Comments

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Centering definitely, corners...not sure but probably. It definitely has a chance.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I think it has a chance good luck with it.
  • Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    That's a weird scanner
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭
    Please let us know the results!
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    The centering was obviously the big selling point for me, but I also like how light the white circle near his elbow is.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    The top two corners don't look like they will make the cut for a PSA 7. However, it may be the scan. Best of luck with whatever you do.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I'd say no, based on it being in a current SGC slab.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the 2 top corners make it a 6.
    Daniel
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like your odds better in the SGC slab.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it has a chance, but only if you crack first.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq

The top two corners don't look like they will make the cut for a PSA 7. However, it may be the scan. Best of luck with whatever you do.

+1

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a feeling SGC has become more lenient over time? I only purchased three cards in the new holder but they have all seemed strong for their grade. It seems like SGC has waned in popularity but it has not seemed to me that their criteria is different old holder vs. new holder. Is it a common perception they have?
  • Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    They are pretty much a basement operation at this point
  • Options
    Originally posted by: brad31

Is there a feeling SGC has become more lenient over time? I only purchased three cards in the new holder but they have all seemed strong for their grade. It seems like SGC has waned in popularity but it has not seemed to me that their criteria is different old holder vs. new holder. Is it a common perception they have?

Some strong for the grade, some not. All through their history. Same as PSA in that strong/not strong for the grade shtick, just on a smaller scale.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ThoseBackPages
    I'd say no, based on it being in a current SGC slab.

My question meant to quote this not the post I quoted. This is why I should not post from my phone.
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    It's a beautiful card, centering is really nice. I think it depends on those corners. At first look, I think it gets a 6.5. I wouldn't think it was out of place at all in a 7 holder though, I just feel like PSA has gotten really tough on their trading.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Z, I think you have a good chance to cross, but you'll need to crack out the Dr J. I have a 7 that is similar to yours minus the fish eye below elbow.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a tough call, PSA can be extremely tough on this card. You might have to crack and submit multiple times but even then I just don't see it in a PSA 7 holder. IMHO it looks like a PSA 6, it's still a nice card but those corners probably keep it out of a PSA 7. Good luck.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    I love the card and it is on my wish list. Congratulations. I would just leave it in the card holder and enjoy it. Top corners a touch soft probably going to hold it back from a crossover.
    On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    I still don't have it in hand, but when I do i will scan it properly, and we can all (myself included) see how those corners are. Once in hand, if I don't think they are strong enough to cross, I will obviously leave it in it's current holder.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I can see all four corners have issues.

I am thinking no go on the NM cross.

• Options
    I definitely need a better scanner with a CCD, but now that I have it in hand I was able to scan it flat (not on an angle like the seller did). All the corners show light wear/touches, but comparable to many PSA 7s I have of cards from the same era.

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭
    Unlikely.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might get a PSA 7 with a crack out (but unlikely based on the corners). I would say 6 - 6.5 on straight crossover. Love the centering on that card.
  • Options
    I think PSA is getting stingy on crossing big rookies. I don't have an opinion because I can't really see the corners. The rest of the card looks like a 7 to me.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Not the best scan, but those top two corners still look weak to me.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JBrules
    You might get a PSA 7 with a crack out (but unlikely based on the corners). I would say 6 - 6.5 on straight crossover. Love the centering on that card.

+1

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TheMick6
    I think PSA is getting stingy on crossing big rookies. I don't have an opinion because I can't really see the corners. The rest of the card looks like a 7 to me.

I agree

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.