Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

New to the currency forum

This intro also appeared over on the US coin and DarkSide forum, but as I also collect US and world currency, I thought I'd share here too--I collect US large size notes (educational series, gold certificates, silver certificates) and Colorado national bank notes. My world currency focus is mainly on British Empire/Commonwealth issues, but I have a smattering from Europe, Africa, and SE Asia, both pre-and post-colonial.

Hello all--I've been a lurker here for a while, reading and enjoying some fantastic posts, especially the photo sharing ones.

A little bit about me: based in Colorado, 37 years old. Was first introduced to coin collecting, like many others, as an 8-year-old fascinated with all things historical (ended up a history and art history major later on). My grandfather owned an old Italian grocery store in Denver, and through that I came across all the "interesting" coins that ended up in the till--junk silver was still seen frequently in the late 1980s, as well as lots of odds and ends like tokens, silver certificates, legal tender. Wheaties were in plentiful supply, but a buffalo nickel was a rare prize. Being a grandson I would spend time on Saturdays helping out, and once folks knew I collected coins, they started bringing in material to share. The most peculiar piece to me as a kid was the 1908-J 5 Heller coin from German East Africa. No idea how it made its way into my hands in Denver in 1988-89, but that must have been some adventure!

My Mother recognized my interest and we did the coins-for-good-grades deal. Started out collecting type, outside of the odds and ends via the store, at a local B&M. Years later I found out that most of the pieces were details coins, but appreciation in the intervening quarter of a century, plus the sentimentality of being my original coins cancelled any feeling of disappointment. Consider it the earliest tuition paid.

Of course, in just a couple years I got distracted by sports as a young teen, first baseball (which I wasn't good at) and then basketball. Switched collecting focus to sports cards for a time. Then came high school, girls, jobs, and college, followed by teaching and writing. My old coins sat in a small briefcase my Mom gave to me. After my grandfather retired at the age of 83! in 1995, he told me he had some coins that he was leaving to me. When he passed in 2001, I discovered it was a hefty accumulation of junk to uncirculated silver from Morgans and Peace dollars to the usual mini-hoards of Mercury dimes, Walkers/Franklings, Washies, and sizeable buffalo nickel and wheat penny stacks. There were also plenty of original rolls from the early 60s, and a decent chunk of currency, including high denomination small size notes, federal reserve notes, and legal tender. I didn't need the money at the time, nor did I have plans to sell, as I treasured anything my grandfather left me, so I packed it up into a couple boxes and left it at my parents' place, as I was in college and would be moving around for the next decade.

Fast forward to 2013. I had moved to DC for work but decided to go in a different direction and was job-hunting in June of that year. I flew back to Denver and pretty much on a whim asked myself, "I wonder what's in those boxes?" My grandmother had set aside her own stock of silver (easily picked up by owning a grocery store) but had cashed in most of it at lower prices in the early 2000s. But a few old wine jars remained and I decided to go through all the coins with a newly purchased loupe and a fresh Red Book.

Laying in the midst of everything was a 1942/1 D Mercury dime, now housed in a PCGS VF25 CAC holder. I couldn't believe it! Easily one of my prized coins and so glad my grandfather set aside these coins so many decades ago.

Those discoveries got me back in the numismatic groove. While I did experience the euphoria and BUY ALL THE THINGS mentality of a reignited collector, the damage was limited to small purchases. I quickly adopted the mantra of buy the book first and buy the coin not the holder, and became quickly familiar with forums and other sources of information, including the boards here, and managed to steer away from the eBay pitfalls. Thankfully an inherent "that's too good to be true" attitude was in place.

My current collection efforts have focused on Walking Liberty halves, key date type, Morgans, Seated coinage (in particular S-mint, no motto quarters from 1856-1865), and gold. My own reactivation drew my Mother back in, and together we travel to shows and look for Morgans, Seated stuff, and large size currency. I've also taken up collecting Colorado national bank notes, mostly small size.

I think that's about it for now. Once I figure out this posting photos thing, I'll see if I can share a few.

Cheers
GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.

Comments

• Welcome
    Wanted: 00000079, 790000, 00001979,79797979, 00003739 00112579 and similar. Thanks
  • Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Great intro!!!

Welcome aboard and I hope you keep posting here.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Welcome.
  • larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Welcome to the club
  • delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard; enjoy the ride!
  • numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Great write up! Welcome,and can't wait to see some paper pics.
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the board from someone dialing back their collecting.
    Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, all! I look forward to spending more time on this forum, and sharing a pic or two!
    GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome !!! ??
    Timbuk3
  • Welcome tot he forum and thanks for coming out of the shadows... always good to meet a fellow collector.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome sir.
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jim61

Great intro!!!

Welcome aboard and I hope you keep posting here.

+1

• CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard

1942S

What are those shiny discs ?? That is not paper money ;c)
  • welcome!!
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: numbersman

Great write up! Welcome,and can't wait to see some paper pics.

• Hey and welcome to the currency side. Besides shiny discs and rags, Colorado has some great railroads which issued stocks and bonds, as well as a fantastic amount of mining stocks which are historical and many well sought after. Here is neither, but I thought a nice example of the engravers art from the great age of engraving.
  • gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Forum Rocky Mountain!
  • RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanCong

Hey and welcome to the currency side. Besides shiny discs and rags, Colorado has some great railroads which issued stocks and bonds, as well as a fantastic amount of mining stocks which are historical and many well sought after. Here is neither, but I thought a nice example of the engravers art from the great age of engraving.

Fantastic art!

• FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum! Glad to have ya image
    Matt