Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Strange Obsolete Note

I really like unusual obsolete notes but I am not really sure what this is. Does anybody know if this is intended to be used as currency or as an exchange note maybe? I got it cheap and I find it to be an interesting piece in any case. Anybody got any clues as to its use?

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the Indian corn, super cool!!!
  • boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    It looks like some political statement rather than script. Like something a farmers union would put out demanding higher pay. But I do not know.
    Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a mock up of the proposed Time based or Labor Exchange currency touted in the early 1800s and which reappears from time to time (no pun intended). Here's something from Wiki about it:

Labor Money

Another

Agree it's probably more of a political statement than actual script given the margin inscription.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Got a couple of clues from the responses and I was able to find this auction listing from 2005:

Important “General Jackson” Political Note Rarity: “Ten Pounds of Indian Corn... One Hour’s Labor.” Rarity

(Boston), MA, 1871, 10 Hour Note, "One Specimen of Equitable Money: A Text for Study," "Gen. Jackson," Political Note, Choice Crisp About Uncirculated.
    A very unusual, dated 1871 this Political note is an attack on labor policies in the early 1870s. At the center is a large vignette of a seated Justice and Athena flanking "Labor for Labor." Below, the slogan "Ten Pounds of Indian Corn being the product of One Hour's Labor." At the right is Atlas and at the left is a vignette copied off a Louisiana state bill. Printed on a translucent paper. The wide margin at the top has the title, most likely meant to be trimmed away. In the upper right corner the tiny vignette of a pocket watch and the legend "Time is Wealth". The first of this historic note we have offered in our auctions. Very rare.
    STARTING BID:$480
    lot status
    ngIf: ::vm.item.isSold
    SOLD FOR $650

I am a happy camper, since I paid $75 for the note! It also might make an interesting article for my regional club publication too...
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot 462 in this sale, too.

It's an illustration or example of a labor based note, similar to one published in an 1846 book.

1846 book example
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Thanks for the all the info, I think it's pretty cool!
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thinks it's a pretty cool too, congratulation !!!
    Timbuk3