'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF45?

A whole new numerical grade? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Why is this news, isn't that the grade they were issued in?

Actually I'm probably one of the 4 people in the universe that like the Churchill crown especially his portrait. I can vividly remember hearing of his death on tv in January 1965 as a kid in southern IN. I was aware of his role in WWII so immediately realized the significance of the event. It was a very icy day and can almost still feel the cold and see our living room. Probably being too romantic, but I really enjoy coins that connect on that sort of personal level. There are a few others, all relatively cheap, and I'm just as happy with them as the others in my care.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I'm with you also. I recently got one of the PCGS65 currency strikes and like it. Character he had and so has his depiction on the coin which IMO really caught the essence of the man, movie star looks he didn't have.

Why slab a 45? Yikes, that is crazy.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: STLNATS

Why is this news, isn't that the grade they were issued in? ...

Most circulating coins do not survive in their issued condition. If they did, they would not be circulating coins.

It's my understanding - and I could be wrong - that Churchill crowns have a conditional rarity in higher grades. But I don't think 45 is considered high on the Churchill scale ... Perhaps Don assumed the owner would be here because this forum is filled with PCGS slab holders? image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just have an unhealthy obsession with coin types that really didn't circulate much that are found in lower grades.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is this news, isn't that the grade they were issued in?

Actually I'm probably one of the 4 people in the universe that like the Churchill crown especially his portrait. I can vividly remember hearing of his death on tv in January 1965 as a kid in southern IN. I was aware of his role in WWII so immediately realized the significance of the event. It was a very icy day and can almost still feel the cold and see our living room. Probably being too romantic, but I really enjoy coins that connect on that sort of personal level. There are a few others, all relatively cheap, and I'm just as happy with them as the others in my care.

I was in utero, busy developing hands and feet at the time, so my memories of the event are less chilly and more warm and dark and sloshy-like.

Edit: eh, whoops. I see he died on January 24th of '65 and I was born December 28th, so though we intersect in one calendar year, I was not quite yet conceived when ol' Winnie shuffled off the mortal coil.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 7Jaguars

Character he had and so has his depiction on the coin which IMO really caught the essence of the man

Well put. I think the coin has been much maligned and think the portrait is very powerful and shows the personality. I'll even go further and say that while it may not make a box of 20, it certainly would have a place in a box of 50 (and just to be clear, no /sarc on this comment) along with a Mexican 1968 25 peso.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not have a Churchill graded by PCGS or NGC. I did submit a Churchill DDO to ICG that graded 65 which may be among the finest known. This variety remains under appreciated.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 7Jaguars
    Character he had and so has his depiction on the coin which IMO really caught the essence of the man

Well put. I think the coin has been much maligned and think the portrait is very powerful and shows the personality.

I agree that this coin exhibits strong character just like the man himself, I just pulled out
    a couple of the half dozen I have and I certainly appreciate them more now than I did
    when I bought them more than 40 years ago.........I suppose I've gotten over the nickel
    content thing and appreciate them for the artistic beauty of it.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coinkat

I do not have a Churchill graded by PCGS or NGC. I did submit a Churchill DDO to ICG that graded 65 which may be among the finest known. This variety remains under appreciated.

Any particular reason you sent it to ICG?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ajaan
    Fess up, who has it.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'kat, do you have an image of the DDO?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I submitted the coin to ICG because I was able to get the variety recognized without any problems. The DDO is on the label.

I do not have any images. This was apparently discovered years ago. The obvious pick up poins are the chin, mouth, nose and outer eye brow. I see it as an error worthy of catalog recognition. However, my experience in trying to call attention unusual coins has proven to be frustrating in a hobby that should be far more welcoming of such oddities.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.