Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ANA Newps

I bought 4 lots from the Heritage sale of the Rudman Collection, Part 3.

These are all 1732-Mo no assayer, no denomination coins. Gilboy considers them trial strikes made using the matrices sent from Spain. The Heritage cataloguer brings up a good point. Since the matrices were sent to Mexico in 1729, the obverse with the 1732 date must not be made using said matrices, but only the reverse. Nevertheless, I consider them important and am collecting them as part of my pattern, proof, and trial collection so that I have some Colonial types in the collection. (And for those who don't know, 1732 is the first year of Pillar coinage in Mexico.)

First, the best piece. An AU58 1732-Mo 4 Real:

The preceding piece upgrades my current 1732-Mo 4 Real, which was a sea salvage piece (though high-grade in its own right):

The second winning, a low-grade 1732-Mo 2 Real again without denomination nor assayer. As these minors circulated heavily, this is among the finest I'll ever be able to add to my collection. And since for me, history is more important than having only "beauties", I'll enjoy it for its crude ugliness. (Note this coin was rare enough to be missing from many advanced collections, including Norweb, Gerber, and Patterson.):

Next comes the Real, a sea salvage piece but a significant upgrade from my current coin:

Here is my current Real:

Oddly enough, both Reales seem to have different reverse dies, so I need to do more investigation.

And finally the Half-Real, a holed but otherwise high-grade example of a very rare coin (again, missing from Norweb, Gerber, and Patterson):

So other than the 4 Real, they aren't the most pretty coins, but they are certainly historic and very rare.

Since there was no 8 Real struck without denomination and assayer, I now have all the silver denominations. On to the gold!

Thanks goes to Mr. Eureka for all the support, moral and otherwise!

Comments

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, quite impressive! And to be able to scoop them up from a single auction. Well done.

Looking at the Real reverse near the D in IND may explain why your previous example used a different reverse die. From what I can see, the obverses match.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OriginalDan

Wow, quite impressive! And to be able to scoop them up from a single auction. Well done.

Looking at the Real reverse near the D in IND may explain why your previous example used a different reverse die. From what I can see, the obverses match.

Well, Rudman had the means and desire to collect the best. I'm going to build on that (though I don't think I'll be able to upgrade much, if any, over the years).

Since the reverse dies are made from the Spanish matrices, they should all match. Unless there was more than one matrix for each denomination.

The obverses were probably punched/engraved in Mexico so they need not match.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive buys .
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I could look at those pillars and globes all day long ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely little set. It's nice when you find a good deal of rare material specific to your collecting interest in one sale, it can be painful on the wallet, but it's an opportunity not to be missed

Originally posted by: pruebas
    Since the reverse dies are made from the Spanish matrices, they should all match. Unless there was more than one matrix for each denomination.

The obverses were probably punched/engraved in Mexico so they need not match.

As you mentioned, the 1 reals have different reverse die.

I appears the 4 reals also have different reverse dies.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    The 4 reales also appear to have different obverse dies. Check the date spacing.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Aegis3

The 4 reales also appear to have different obverse dies. Check the date spacing.

You are correct, but the obverses don't matter. They were locally made. Only the reverses (per the theory) were made from the Spanish matrices.

So unless there were multiple matrices for each denomination sent from Spain, the reverse dies all need to be identical or the theory falls apart.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Superb pick ups! Congratulations, great examples!
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to build on that (though I don't think I'll be able to upgrade much, if any, over the years).

good move...great newps..congrats
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a foundation to build on. Great news!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That AU58 4R is awesome, but I rather like the darkish "Circulation Cameo" appearance of the second coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    I really like this!
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great additions! image
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

That AU58 4R is awesome, but I rather like the darkish "Circulation Cameo" appearance of the second coin.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    I really like the AU58 4 Reales.
  • Options
    Thanks all for your comments. Should be a fun set to own.

My copy of Gilboy is in storage for my upcoming move, but I think the only other coin in the set is the 8 Escudos. I don't believe any of the gold minors exist without assayer or denomination.

Here was Rudman's 8E that sold last ANA. Given that it's a $70k coin, I won't be seeing one for a while!