Home Sports Talk
Options

Goodbye A-rod..................

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
.......................and good riddance. Did you EVER play clean??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    He was a great player and did not have to lower himself with steroids. What an idiot!
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will not be missed by me

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    considering that he was spectacular with the Rangers very early in his career, did he have an injury or something which got him started on steroids/PED's and then he continued using them??
  • Options
    There is a book called blood sport about a rod and his drug use. It has been quite a while since I read it, but I believe the author concluded a rod was using since very early in his career. Even back in his mariner days. He is such a fraud. I can't believe they are playing off his outright release as his choice.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was the biggest crybaby, his bush league play against the Red Sox trying to swat the ball away from the first baseman was a classic, also when he ate Varitek's glove was hilarious. I hated him as a Yankee
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pure Hall of Fame material, without the PEDs. Too bad he went bad. Tremendous ball player in my book.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    One of the best ever.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    Being a great player and a cheater are not mutually exclusive.
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He WILL be in the HOF!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I loved rooting against him

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    I have thought about this guy's career for awhile and aside from his hitting cannot think of anything he did. that is the problem with the current installment of MLB, the designated hitter rule allows too many players to sustain their playing time, make us think they are good enough for the HOF. offense and hitting HR's may be nice, but I would choose an all-around player of mediocre power over the A-Rods of Baseball any day. that is what confuses me about the current outgoing darling of Red Sox fans, his career was over 10 years ago yet he has been assisted by the rules and the DH to impress us.

I sometimes wish I was a National League fan or that the DH would never have been established. if anyone watched the Indians vs. Nationals game on Tuesday you saw a stellar performance by Max Scherzer, the guy is a beast on the mound. well, he came up maybe in the fifth inning and smacked a hard grounder up the middle for a single, then was forced to run the bases. it may have affected his pitching and when it was his next at bat he was removed for a PH. good old baseball. then in the seventh inning the Indians chose to make a pitching change --- instead of just a regular change they did a double switch, swapping the left fielder for another player to allow the reliever to pitch a second inning without the need for a PH.

good old fashioned strategy!!! I hate the DH and miss the sacrifice and watching the hit-and-run.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

ARod is going to go play somewhere else , he needs a few home runs. Who would take him though?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

He WILL be in the HOF!

No chance.

Bonds and Clemens would have to go in first.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't miss him. Yes, he was instrumental in winning the 2009 World Series but the drama and that long, long contract may not have been worth it. Glad the Yankees woke up and sold at the deadline. They are stocked with young prospects now and letting ARod and Beltran go has freed roster spots for young players who are already producing.
    Daniel
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets
    I have thought about this guy's career for awhile and aside from his hitting cannot think of anything he did. that is the problem with the current installment of MLB, the designated hitter rule allows too many players to sustain their playing time, make us think they are good enough for the HOF. offense and hitting HR's may be nice, but I would choose an all-around player of mediocre power over the A-Rods of Baseball any day. that is what confuses me about the current outgoing darling of Red Sox fans, his career was over 10 years ago yet he has been assisted by the rules and the DH to impress us.

I sometimes wish I was a National League fan or that the DH would never have been established. if anyone watched the Indians vs. Nationals game on Tuesday you saw a stellar performance by Max Scherzer, the guy is a beast on the mound. well, he came up maybe in the fifth inning and smacked a hard grounder up the middle for a single, then was forced to run the bases. it may have affected his pitching and when it was his next at bat he was removed for a PH. good old baseball. then in the seventh inning the Indians chose to make a pitching change --- instead of just a regular change they did a double switch, swapping the left fielder for another player to allow the reliever to pitch a second inning without the need for a PH.

good old fashioned strategy!!! I hate the DH and miss the sacrifice and watching the hit-and-run.

Alex Rodriguez didn't become a DH until his last full season. He has 1,198 games played as a third baseman, 1,272 as a short stop and 298 as a DH in a 22 year career.

He was the best shortstop to ever play the game and the one of the better defensive players in the league until the Yankees moved him to third.

My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JHS5120

Originally posted by: keets

Alex Rodriguez didn't become a DH until his last full season. He has 1,198 games played as a third baseman, 1,272 as a short stop and 298 as a DH in a 22 year career.

He was the best shortstop to ever play the game and the one of the better defensive players in the league until the Yankees moved him to third.

No, he was one of the best chemically enhanced shortstops to play the game. He is excused from the discussion of greatest ever due to his choice of altering the playing field to his favor.

• Options
    Originally posted by: grote15
    He WILL be in the HOF!

No chance.

Clemens OK.....Bonds...NO WAY!!!
  • Options

He WILL be in the HOF!

No chance.

So some cheating is better than other cheating? That doesn't really make sense. If you are going to maintain the position that cheaters should not be induced into the HOF, you've got to be consistent with that application.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    He WILL be in the HOF!

No chance.

So some cheating is better than other cheating? That doesn't really make sense. If you are going to maintain the position that cheaters should not be induced into the HOF, you've got to be consistent with that application.

Has it ever been proven that Clemens did? It sure doesn't show on him like on Bonds.
  • Options
    It wasn't proven that OJ was a murderer, either. Both possibilities are about as likely to have happened, though, lol. Bonds never failed a drug test, either.

• Options
    I do believe bonds admitted use, although he said he didn't know at the time what he was using. I don't know that Clemens ever confessed. I am pretty sure he used though.

• Options
    Originally posted by: craig44

I do believe bonds admitted use, although he said he didn't know at the time what he was using. I don't know that Clemens ever confessed. I am pretty sure he used though.

Bonds admitted unwittingly using a substance "the clear" but he never failed a MLB dug test.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pitboss

He was a great player and did not have to lower himself with steroids. What an idiot!

Barry Bonds was in the same situation. He was the only player at the time to get three out of four MVPs (1990, 1992, 1993), but was jealous that he wasn't getting as much love as Griffey, Thomas, and later McGwire/Sosa. Because of that he chose the dark side.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars