Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Google Photos help

I've used Picasa (owned by Google) to store photos of my notes on the internet and to post them in this forum.

Google is moving on from Picasa. They transferred my photos to Google Photos.

I haven't been able to figure out how to post from Google Photos to this forum. I'm wondering if there are any Picasa users have figured out how to post photos here.

For what it's worth, I don't have any trouble posting photos from Google Photos to other sites. So I'm kind of wondering if the problem is on the forum side. I hope not.

Comments

• Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Dave, I can't help you directly with Google Photos. But most issues with this forum and others can be circumvented by using the IMG HTML tag directly. Have you tried that?

If you need further help with the IMG tag, let me know.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • daveudaveu Posts: 97 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jim61

Dave, I can't help you directly with Google Photos. But most issues with this forum and others can be circumvented by using the IMG HTML tag directly. Have you tried that?

If you need further help with the IMG tag, let me know.

I'll take any help I can get at this point.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Well, Dave, I have been "playing" with it and no success.

It appears to me that the new Google Photos may not be "allowed" yet on this forum.

Whenever I put the URL in the IMG tags and try to post, the URL becomes missing??

Jim61

• https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNm0VF8mtr8LwiUMQJpMNG2hmc2Jghl-tZucVA.jpg

when I clicked your link. it wanted me to sign in to google. So I wonder if you need to set a sharing permission first
    Dan, the link does not have the .jpg after it. I used that to test which didn't work.

Jim61

After many more tries, I feel that the problem is the link used by Google Photo is not compatible with the standard IMG tag format which is looking for the .jpg at the end but it is not there in the Google Photo link. Google Photo links look a lot like the Youtube links type of encryption.

I tried using the photo editor to change the image and create a new link, but that was unsuccessful as well.

photo

Jim61

Can anyone see the photo by clicking the photo link?

Jim61

• I found someone posted about this.

"...My solution to this problem was to individually “share” each photo, and choose the “get link” option. Then, clicking on that shortened link sent me to the photo’s “public” page (as opposed to, I guess, the photo’s “private” page in my Google Photos account). I could then right/control-click to get the image address and finally use THAT url in my html image tag, and all was fine.

So, if you have trouble using a Google image in an html tag, first check to see whether a privacy setting is the issue. You might have to first make sure the image has been “shared” so that Google Photos creates a link for the photo that is viewable to the public. Then, that image link address can be used."

http://www.rainsberger.ca/2016/02/19/direct-link-to-image-in-google-photos-for-html-image-tag/

• daveudaveu Posts: 97 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanCong

I found someone posted about this.

"...My solution to this problem was to individually “share” each photo, and choose the “get link” option. Then, clicking on that shortened link sent me to the photo’s “public” page (as opposed to, I guess, the photo’s “private” page in my Google Photos account). I could then right/control-click to get the image address and finally use THAT url in my html image tag, and all was fine.

So, if you have trouble using a Google image in an html tag, first check to see whether a privacy setting is the issue. You might have to first make sure the image has been “shared” so that Google Photos creates a link for the photo that is viewable to the public. Then, that image link address can be used."

http://www.rainsberger.ca/2016...os-for-html-image-tag/

I followed these instructions. No joy.

I tried as well - no go here.

Jim61

• the process is so convoluted I would never use it but it does work you need to share the album, open the album, right click image, get link of image (not album), then add the ?.jpg
    Gold star for Dan!!!

Jim61

Dan, did you see how long that URL is for your image? That is ridiculous, sorry.

Jim61

Dave, since you have a website, why don't you upload your images there? Just create a directory and upload them. Then they are simple to post with the IMG tag.

That is what I do. Simple. They are always there, no changing services or access, life is easy.

Jim61

Originally posted by: DanCong

OK, Dan, I see you did see how long that URL is. Crazy

Jim61

• Originally posted by: Jim61

Dave, since you have a website, why don't you upload your images there? Just create a directory and upload them. Then they are simple to post with the IMG tag.

That is what I do. Simple. They are always there, no changing services or access, life is easy.

+1 exactly what I do as well. I have a sub-directory created just for images I post here.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • gsalexgsalex Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    I am still having issues, even following Dan's lead. That incredibly lengthy URL is not what I'm getting from Google Photos when I right click on the image. If I "copy image location" the URL starts with "photos.google.com/album/..." and if I go through the share icon to Get Link it gives me a bitly-type shortened URL that starts "https://goo.gl/photos/..." Neither of these work on this forum when I add the ?.jpg.

Dan, are you still working from Picasa? Because all those accounts are being switched out for Google Photos, even as we type. Maybe they haven't gotten to you yet.

I'm thinking this a forum-side issue at this point.
    Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • I use imgur - simple, free and works for me. Did you share your album first ? Share the album, then open the album, then open the picture, then right click. Like I said, a really silly exercise for something as simple as sharing a picture. Cuts down on their bandwidth if nobody can see the pictures tho.
    I should add to make clear, I opened a google account to see how it worked. I would never use this method to share pictures. Imgur gives you a friendly BB link to copy the correct URL with IMG tags