Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

ANA Auction on August 10th

My apologies if this has already been linked. But the Stacks sale is online and we go live at 6pm Pacific on Wednesday August 10th. The sale is fully stocked, but MPC and nationals are especially strong.

2016 August ANA

Comments

• Options
    MPC's strong? they're CRAZY strong!!
  • Options
    oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    The "Paymaster Collection" of MPC has unique and never seen before examples of MPC. Some of these pieces will go into private collections never to be seen again! If you have a chance to view these notes do so as it's unlikely you'll ever get another chance.
    imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have a great catalog. If they would only get their computer system into the 21st century.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for bringing it up, Manning. Both S-B and Heritage have auctions next week with some outrageous notes and it looked like nobody around here cared.

As for me, I look forward (well, maybe not really) to staying up very late Wednesday night to try and spend some money in the StacksBowers sale.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    techwritertechwriter Posts: 584 ✭✭
    Well, my Chief Financial Officer(aka the spouse) doesn't think the budget will allow for too many of those notes. Guess I'll just stay up and watch.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

The ANA has started... Can't wait to see how the MPC side does.

• Options
    Well, it's 1:00 am here on the East Coast and I'm waiting for the break to end so they can start the Nationals...... (sigh).

• Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Got one note that I wanted.

Good luck Bob.
  • Options
    3 - for - 3. It's now 1:53 AM here and I'm going to bed. I'll give the details tomorrow.

• Options

Was it me ... or did Stacks have the minimum bids to high? Lot of lots went as "passed" with no bids or very little bid activity

It feels auctions (HA, Stacks, LK, etc.) are forcing the market vs. letting the market determine itself

Lot of times, auctions see better prices when the 'juices get flowing' and the competitive nature of auctions take hold with bidding wars ... when there are high minimum bids, hard to get those wars going ... thus I am thinking sellers are being hurt by this with no sale or just single bid sales.

what does the forum think?
    US small size Federal Reserve Note collector with focus on 1928 to 1950E and main focus on 1934 to 1934D series. $5 to $100 denominations.

kurtisjohnson is my eBay ID

http://www.ebay.com/sch/kurtisjohnson/m.html
  • Options
    TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    I went 2 for 2 and was very pleased.

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• Options
    Originally posted by: rynotograce

Was it me ... or did Stacks have the minimum bids to high? Lot of lots went as "passed" with no bids or very little bid activity

It feels auctions (HA, Stacks, LK, etc.) are forcing the market vs. letting the market determine itself

Lot of times, auctions see better prices when the 'juices get flowing' and the competitive nature of auctions take hold with bidding wars ... when there are high minimum bids, hard to get those wars going ... thus I am thinking sellers are being hurt by this with no sale or just single bid sales.

what does the forum think?

+1 Of course there is the other side of the equation too, sellers may be setting a minimum bid as well. They don't want their prime material going cheap.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    LE00000004D - New 100$ 2009A - Is number 4 probably the most boring number ??? ????????????????image
    I think it's worth a few hundred dollars up - relatively rare and there is no supply????????????????

Sold $1,175
    Est: $600-$800
    LOT DESCRIPTION
    Fr. 2187-E. 2009A $100 Federal Reserve Note. Richmond. PMG Gem Uncirculated 66 EPQ.
    Low serial numbered $100's are seldom offered. This Gem features serial number LE00000004D.
    Estimate: $600 - $800.
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Starting the nationals so late is a cruel thing to do... If I knew my nationals were going to go up after 2am I would have probably waited to consign them to an east coast sale.
  • Options
    rbethearbethea Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    If it makes you feel any better, the world notes (and the selection is very good - some really, REALLY nice stuff) don't start until 3AM my time (CET).
    Check out my world paper money collection at papermoney.x10.mx
  • Options
    # 00000004 isnt as popular as other #'s (2, 7, 8)

as to the opening bids ('reserves') - as a seller, in this climate they're a must... i consigned some notes... some did well, some did very well... but the 'reserve' is a nice safety net
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    one for one with a fractional specimen pair
  • Options
  • Options
    the Fr 61a's were overpriced I guess... almost none sold; the MPC's sold well when they sold - some big lots of them (sets) didnt sell
  • Options
    Well, I'm sufficiently recovered from the late Wednesday night activity to finally post my successful bids from the Stacks auction. It's tough when you go to bed at 2:00 am and, then at 6:30 am, our two German Shepherds loudly proclaim that they don't care when I went to bed, they need me to take them outside!

Anyway, here we go:

Yes, it was a long night watching as Stacks worked their way through the Obsoletes, MPCs, Type Notes, etc. while waiting for the Nationals. I have to give auctioneer Jim Fitzgerald a lot of credit - watching on my PC, he was obviously trying to move things along and the break just before the Nationals was mercifully short. Just before they reached the New York notes, I received the phone call from my Stacks phone bidder rep at 1:45 am. It was kind of funny getting a "normal" phone call in the middle of the night - any other call I had ever received at that hour was either a crank call or a major family crisis.

So, with his assistance, I nailed down all three notes. The Herkimer note went for a bit more than I really wanted to pay but I had put myself in a box on that one. You see, the Dolgeville and Herkimer notes were both signed by the same Charles Millington as President. Mr. Millington (1855-1913) was not only a bank president, he was also elected to Congress in 1908. On top of that, last Spring, thanks to a forum member, I had acquired a Serial Number 1 Brown Back on the National Bank of Poland, NY signed by the same Charles Millington as Cashier. So, obviously, getting three number 1 notes on three different banks signed by the same gentleman became a priority. Sorry, no picture of the Poland note yet - it's off with "the miracle lady" for "renovations."

After staying up late, it was all over in five minutes. I would also like to thank Manning Garrett of Stacks for handling my phone bidding - it went very smoothly and professionally. By the way, no problem on receiving the invoice in a timely manner. It was already in my email when I got up Thursday morning.

• Options
    CONGRATS! some real home run nationals! well done
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Maxcrusha

CONGRATS! some real home run nationals! well done

Those notes will make an amazing display, even with only three notes. How many banks was he affiliated with, just those three? Next chase is the different charter periods. image

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    Wow, Congratulations on those Nationals.
  • Options
    Just finished the world notes session. A lot of unreasonable starting prices therefore a lot of unsold notes. Sellers need to understand that there is not only the BP but also 8.5% California tax.
    I got what I wanted, 1 for 1.
    Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    What portion of the buyers end up paying the California tax?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Alex1176

Just finished the world notes session. A lot of unreasonable starting prices therefore a lot of unsold notes. Sellers need to understand that there is not only the BP but also 8.5% California tax.

Wowza!

Impressive Book of South American Specimens;

Lot #30006

Sold $141,000

Reserve: $30,000

Est: $30,000-$50,000

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oklahomadanny

Originally posted by: Alex1176

Wowza!

Impressive Book of South American Specimens;

Lot #30006

Sold $141,000

Reserve: $30,000

Est: $30,000-$50,000

Danny, I watched that one online - incredible!!! Watched those 2 bidders on the floor throwing their wallets at each other. At one time one went for a big bid increase from the 30K straight to 60K in an attempt for a knockout, but the slug-fest continued.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    Originally posted by: delistamps
    What portion of the buyers end up paying the California tax?

I think every person who collects from the auction or lives in California.
    Looking for:

• Options
    [

Danny, I watched that one online - incredible!!! Watched those 2 bidders on the floor throwing their wallets at each other. At one time one went for a big bid increase from the 30K straight to 60K in an attempt for a knockout, but the slug-fest continued.

It was insane.
    I wish one day 140k items will be in my league.
    Got nice early Australian note, so I'm very pleased.
    Looking for:

• Options
    Alex, Very nice early Australian note. Congrats!

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

• Options
    2ndCharter, All I can say is WOW!

Jim61

• Options
    rbethearbethea Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    Seriously, some really nice pickups, guys. I went 0/0. image
    Check out my world paper money collection at papermoney.x10.mx
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow is right, congratulations on the incredible nationals! Very nice Australian note!
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful pair of NY NBN #1s with the Millington sig as president. Always fun to trace the career thru the banknotes and isn't it nice that the family kept them together for you all these years.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: gnat
    Wow, Congratulations on those Nationals.

• Options
    The Millington storyline and notes are absolutely incredible.
  • Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Anyone here pick up the 1934B Minneapolis $20 Fed in 67PPQ (Bowers post auction)? PM if you wish.