Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Putto

Not one of my areas of collecting, but yhis medal has all sorts of things going for it. Hot air balloons. City view. And one of the most impressive putti that I have seen.

imageimage
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Congrats harasha , beautifull and historical medal

Gordon Bennett
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Very nice putto, indeed. You can see definition in the ribs and hair, face is expressive, and just a hint of the wings. I prefer this over the chubby cherub variety. Nice find.

I was somewhat slightly disappointed, though when the page loaded and I didn't see a horse image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely medal. I particularly like the little rectangular plaque on the reverse with the cityscape on it.

I went up in a hot air balloon once, though it was tethered and only went up 100 feet or so.

It was both exhilarating and terrifying for me.

(More the latter, with the roaring of the gas jet and the swaying of the basketlike gondola we were crammed into.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Great Gordon Bennett piece. If you google "Gordon Bennett" you'll find a plethora of pix and info about the GB races/gatherings over the years. And it's interesting to compare the city view on the medal and the event poster. Thanks for sharing!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    An attractive and distinctive medal, both obverse and reverse.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    Oh, that poster the Puffin found is too cool!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ... but I am a bit surprised there are balloons in it.

• Options
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Oh, that poster the Puffin found is too cool!

... but I am a bit surprised there are balloons in it.

Well it was a balloon (or de Ballons for the purist) meet after all...

Here's an exceedingly trivial bit of trivia. Red Dwarf fans will recall that Holly (the computer) would exclaim "Gordon Bennett!" when he was excited or amazed by something.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Typo- I meant I was a bit surprised there are NO balloons in it. image

• Options
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Typo- I meant I was a bit surprised there are NO balloons in it. image

AH. Would have screwed up the graphics I think. Much more impactful without them.

And they may be there, deflated and in the warehouse on the extreme left. Across the river. In the distance. Behind the mountain.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a very cool design. Love it!
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    STLNATS, +1 for the Red Dwarf reference
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jgenn

STLNATS, +1 for the Red Dwarf reference

Good to know that there's at least one other deranged person on the board!

On a more serious note, that great medal is a little over a century old. The world is a much different place and we've lost a lot of the wonder/amazement since flight of almost all types is pretty much taken for granted (ie the chances of getting there is close to 100%, meaning we can be free to complain about delays, long security lines, slow baggage claims, etc). The early flight pioneers were incredibly brave since, even in balloons, many met early and unpleasant ends. And my first thought when I saw the OP was about the balloon tragedy this past weekend and how, even today, things can go terribly awry and how much real danger still exists. Thanks again for sharing a great piece that really connects to the past for me.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: STLNATS

Good to know that there's at least one other deranged person on the board!

Come to Dragon Con here in Atlanta over Labor Day weekend. I'll introduce you to lots of deranged persons. I'll be playing in the Hyatt on Friday and Saturday night, too. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Originally posted by: STLNATS

On a more serious note, that great medal is a little over a century old. The world is a much different place and we've lost a lot of the wonder/amazement since flight of almost all types is pretty much taken for granted (ie the chances of getting there is close to 100%, meaning we can be free to complain about delays, long security lines, slow baggage claims, etc). The early flight pioneers were incredibly brave since, even in balloons, many met early and unpleasant ends. And my first thought when I saw the OP was about the balloon tragedy this past weekend and how, even today, things can go terribly awry and how much real danger still exists. Thanks again for sharing a great piece that really connects to the past for me.

After my one short, limited experience, I have no doubt at all that early balloonists were intrepid souls. Think of what it must have been like when the Montgolfier brothers first flew in 1783. Or when Union troops used balloons for observation in the Civil War, and probably got shot at in the process. It's scary enough to hang in a little basket a hundred feet in the air as it is, even in a modern balloon.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome medal and follow up as usual. All I can say is image