Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Sprague, Washington nationals?

Can someone check the census and tell me whether there are any reported large size nationals from Sprague, Washington?
Intrigued by all things intaglio.

Comments

• Options
    MAM0912MAM0912 Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    My Version 4.0 from Kelly from a few years back has "NONE", no notes reported, for Ch #3528, FNB of Sprague.
    Marty

US Obsoletes esp NJ, WEB Notes,

National Iron Bank of Morristown (#1113) and Irish Currency
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    T & P lists none for the charter's first title (First NB) however they list 35 for the second title (Fidelity NB).

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

There is one, and while it's a little tired... it's pretty sweet. :-)

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: gdavis70

There is one, and while it's a little tired... it's pretty sweet. :-)

And a territorial no less!

edited to add: title changed in 1896 to Fidelity NB of Spokane. 17 of those in the old Kelly.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice, share a pic. Would love to see a Territorial!!
  • Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    So would I! I know this will show up as a proof in the Smithsonian collection, but the Washington boxes are still a few months away before we get to transcribe them.

I was in Sprague last month and there's a little historical museum that has the original safe from this bank. They also talk about the fact that the bank issued national notes, but did not have any pictures of what they looked like. I was hoping to supply an image they could print and display.
  • Options
    Why wait? Bottom of proof sheets:

Territorial

State Issue

BTW: Notice the change of dates and the treasury officials on the plates. Before you ask, WA was granted statehood on Nov 11, 1889. I probably should check, but I think remembering that they would continue to use unissued stocks of territorials after statehood. Only when stocks ran low/out and a new printing of notes was required would the plate be changed (or a new plate prepared) to reflect the date of statehood and the new status of the state.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Those are terrific! How did you come by the images?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: gsalex

Those are terrific! How did you come by the images?

Pulled them from the first WA box online. All, or at least most, of the proofs have been online since the beginning of last year for viewing, etc. I recall that there were a couple of discussions of these on the boards that you should be able to find with a quick search on "Smithsonian."