Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Am I psyched or not?

Just got his in yesterday. You all know I like 00000061 serials and I like replacements notes, but when they both come together (rarely), yes, I am psyched.

Well take a look at this one:

Now I should be psyched but I am not. Do you know why?

Well this is not a counterfeit note, it is not a fantasy note (IMO), it is not real note - but if it were real, it would be a very scarce note as very few replacements were printed from my understanding. So why am I bothering to show it. Well basically to help make sure others do not get scammed. These hyper inflation notes are going for crazy money and replacements are even crazier. I knew what this was before I bought it, so I am OK with the purchase.

So what is it? I guess you could call it a parody note or a spoof note. I am not sure.

So lets look at it in detail as to why it is not real. Here is a normal front:

You will see they are very close. But look at the right side, towards the bottom and they are 4 markers boxes with an "X" in them. The spoof has 5. The other area is the Governor signature and date area. The real one has a date of 2008, the spoof is 2016. The signature of the spoof is kinda funny - I. M. Gone!!! There is a buffalo in the right on the real and a bird on the spoof.

The backs:

real

spoof

On the back the right window is different - real is a water buffalo and the spoof is a lion. Also on the left you can see a bird and the notation of the fantasy art banknote. They call it a fantasy, but that does not follow what I see as a fantasy banknote.

Bottom line is be careful out there!

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Great post! Very cool note even if it's spoofy!! image
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Well done thread.
  • Options
    berylberyl Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the notes were issued by a guy named Reed - "Reedserve" Bank of Zambibwe(sic)!
    Ironic that people make a fantasy note of a note that appears to spoof itself: a seemingly high face value note ($100 trillion dollars!) which is actually essentially worthless - but I guess has collector value enough that people can sell a parody of it.

Well it is an honest note: " I promise NOT to pay.."
  • Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    And the spoof note has an extra set of zeroes -- it's a "One Hundred Quadrillion Dollar" note!
    Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    My first response would be....psyched?....don't you mean psycho? My second response is....cool stuff!
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    Appears to be from Reed Banknote Co in Sarasota FL. Some of the souvenir issues given out at annual FUN shows are made by them IIRC.

It's only the 100 trillion dollar notes going for stupid money. I bought one a couple years ago as a curiosity piece for maybe $5 (I'm cheap!). Some are asking as much as $79.
    imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    FishmongerFishmonger Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
    The spoof note says it all. Notice the text in the top/left area of the note. It says:

"I promise not to pay the bearer on demand."

Nice to see such an impressive level of candor.

Dan

Currency America
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    My bet is psycho!! image
    Psycho - currency collector... same thing!

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    rbethearbethea Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    There was an interesting conversation on the IBNS forum about the skyrocketing in purchase price of the normal 100 trillion dollar notes and the conclusion, I think, was that these are being bought up by people who think they the Zimbabwe dollar will be revalued and they'll suddenly be sitting on a gold mine. Needless to say, that's not how it works, but many people were talking about conference calls where people were (dishonestly) peddling this information and then dealers also talking about buyers saying this. I can't understand it. These notes aren't worth the paper they're printed on! I remember not 5 years ago these were going for between $3 and $5. Now 10 are selling for $250 - $400 on ebay. I don't get it. There's millions (if not billions) of these notes in print in UNC condition. There's no honest justification for the price they're bringing.
    Check out my world paper money collection at papermoney.x10.mx
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool additions Jim, congrats bud.
  • Options
    lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oklahomadanny
    Appears to be from Reed Banknote Co in Sarasota FL. Some of the souvenir issues given out at annual FUN shows are made by them IIRC.

It's only the 100 trillion dollar notes going for stupid money. I bought one a couple years ago as a curiosity piece for maybe $5 (I'm cheap!). Some are asking as much as $79.

It is a Richard Reed product. He makes lots of different types of fantasy notes.