Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Autographs at the National

I just looked at the lineup for the Autograph Pavillion, and specifically, the prices for the various athletes. It's always interesting to see who charges what and the reasoning behind the prices.

For just regular items, here are the top 10 in order of what they are charging

Joe Namath $299
Mariano Rivera $249
Hideki Matsui $199
Roger Clemens $199
Randy Johnson $199
Mike Piazza $189
Pedro Martinez $169
Cal Ripken, JR $159
Mike Tyson $159
Julius Erving $149

That isn't anywhere near what my top 10 would be in terms of my wish list or what I would think they'd be charging based on popularity or their place in sports history. Specifically, Matsui and Rivera seem awfully expensive. Is it because their appearances at these types of things are so rare? Are the prices justified based on demand? Will these guys have lines of people waiting to pay it?

What are everyone's thought?
The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
TheClockworkAngelCollection

Comments

• Dr. J is almost in this list at $149. Should I get a signature ? Will his prices for signing ever go back down ? Opinions ?
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Unless you really need a specific item signed I don't understand why these prices are being paid. Or is it the quick "Hi how are ya?" that people are paying for?
  • I wouldn't pay these prices for anybody's signature, living or dead.
  • Also, I'm surprised mike Tyson can write his name.

And your top 10 is 9 names long image
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    Also, I'm surprised mike Tyson can write his name.

And your top 10 is 9 names long image

Thanks Dan...corrected!
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    Matsui? Really?!
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the show is in the New York area, and I believe it's Rivera's and Matsui's first appearances at a card show.

Steve
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    Part of what you're paying for is "meeting" them. You do get a chance to say hi and shake a hand, they'll even sometimes tell you stories. A lot of these guys are pretty personable.

I think all these guys are worth the fee and I'd pay it if I didn't already have them.

Joe Namath $299 - go look at what signed RCs go for and tell me that it's not worth it.
    Mariano Rivera $249 - beautiful signature, best closer ever, Yankee and All-time great
    Cal Ripken, JR $159 - doesn't he take a picture with you too? that's how it was last time I got him, he's an ok talker especially now
    Julius Erving $149 - again beautiful signature, he's pretty personable

I think Piazza will be popular even though I consider if overpriced, it's close to NY and he just made the HOF, he was not a particularly easy in person guy and he hasn't done that many appearances
  • pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    [
    Also, I'm surprised mike Tyson can write his name.

Just an X.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love to meet the players and get pics with them. 99% great experiences. The only ones I haven't gotten pictures with are Willie mays and Eric Davis. The memory of getting a quick chat with favorite players is worth a lot for me. Plus you have the 100% guarantee that your item is authentic.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.