Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

First Time Grading Submission

I just got back my first order from PSA. It consisted of cards pulled from a sealed 1985 Donruss set that I bought on Ebay. Most were 7's and 8's. I also got back a 10 Roger Clemens and a 5 (!) Robin Yount.

Is it unusual to get such a low grade out of a sealed set? I don't even see how the card could have graded a 5. I was pleased with the Clemens, though.
Casey Barker

Comments

• Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    ya not unusual. if you dont submit that often, you might miss the little things that the graders see.

On the Yount, check for surface imperfections (like little dents and whatnot). Sometimes you cant seem them unless you hold the card at an angle. Also check for tiny creases. You probably just missed something

Even though it was a sealed set, that doesn't mean that all the cards should be 9's and 10's. Quality control at the factory (Donruss in this case) plays a major role in your grades

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    It's not unusual as Grimster mentioned. Congrats on the Clemens.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Likely a surface wrinkle which is an automatic 5. I have pulled many of those straight out of packs. Best looking 5s you ever saw.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15
    Likely a surface wrinkle which is an automatic 5.

+1, on the front of the card. Back surface wrinkle would be an automatic 6.
  • Options
    It's not unusual as Grimster mentioned. Congrats on the Clemens.

Thanks.

It's a beautiful card - just too bad it's the Clemens and not the Puckett
    Casey Barker