Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help: I'm having conflicting opinions on this Ancient coin. Can you help with your opinion?

Comments

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    As far as authenticity? It looks okay to me. Bronze is tough since it's far more subject to corrosion, pitting, etc.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Not sure why anyone familiar with ancients would question this, it is a perfectly authentic Alexandria Egypt tetradrachm of Aurelian, year 5 (ca 275). Decent example - altho I've seen near uncs - but these late tets seem to be quite available and common varieties are "reasonably" priced for the budget collector even in such grade. Also they're usually considered to be potin (bronze with a minute amount of silver added).
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conflicting opinions on what, exactly?

Looks nice to me- and authentic, as already mentioned.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Conflicting opinions on what, exactly?

Looks nice to me- and authentic, as already mentioned.

Sorry one person called it a Maximian, since then have found out they were wrong even though they claimed others were wrong.