Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any educated opinions on current value of a 1977 Topps Mexican wax box?

I have a full wax box of 1977 Topps Mexican and am debating whether to open it or send it to BBCE and sell it off. No recent sales that I could find. Any ideas on value from collectors of this issue? Thanks! -Ken

Comments

• Options
    No, but what I would give to open those packs!
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I think it's value is in box form. The last box I know of went for around 800 a few years ago. I think they're 2 card packs with grape or banana gum. The rip value could be rough with potential for gum and/or wax on every card.

That being said, I would still like to rip a pack at the right price.

Good luck.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever heard of topps Mexican cards. Pretty cool!

I'd have it wrapped and keep it.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Wrap it and send it to PWCC if it's something you're selling.
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: vintagefun
    I think it's value is in box form. The last box I know of went for around 800 a few years ago. I think they're 2 card packs with grape or banana gum. The rip value could be rough with potential for gum and/or wax on every card.

That being said, I would still like to rip a pack at the right price.

Good luck.

I would love to try that gum image
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Yep the 2 card pack boxes aren't toooo rare, but the 4 card is definitely more desirable
  • Options
    kencopekencope Posts: 416 ✭✭
    Thanks for all of the opinions thus far! I am aware of all of the public auctions, but I can't find one that's been offered in the last 7 months or so and currently none for sale, so I figured I'd ask if anyone knew of any private sales. The last sale I found was a bit over $700, but prices have risen on all unopened product so much this year that I thought some opinions would be great.

This is the 2-card pack variety. I think ANY boxes of this would fall in the rare category at this point. I think the "find" that happened quite a few years ago has dried up.

I also have a complete set that I'm working on that I'm missing about 15 cards.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't consider my opinion educated, but I was surprised recently while searching ebay for PSA graded wax that 1977 Topps Mexican Football Wax Packs (PSA Graded) were not that much more expensive than their 1977 Topps Football counterparts. Although I did just learn from this thread that there are far less cards in the Mexican packs.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 2-pack box went unsold on ebay for a few months over spring/early summer. I met the owner at the Chantilly VA show. If I can find his business card I will post his info. He has a very nice assortment of star and commons in high grade.

As I understand it, 2 card packs are less desirable because of gum stains and absolutely horrible collation.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    Thanks for the post! Was the box you're thinking of the one that was priced at $1490?
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't remember the asking price, although I thought it was well below $1,000 for some reason.

found this interesting near set sale on ebay while searching.

Near Set
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if it was just coincidence but I came across a LOT of the 1977 Topps Mexican FB singles in Las Vegas around 2005. I bought a hoard of PSA 7 and PSA 8 from a dealer to try to complete the set. It became too expensive and I ended up breaking it up.
    Mike
  • Options
    I bought that set image The break value alone was well worth it. Just picked up a few more than I needed, so down to about 10.

I think I may just break this box tonight.

Thanks for all of the opinions!

Originally posted by: Nathaniel1960
    I can't remember the asking price, although I thought it was well below $1,000 for some reason.

found this interesting near set sale on ebay while searching.

Near Set

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    Fascinating thread - thanks all!

Ken - if you are ripping this evening, please post as that is great stuff.
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    bbce has a couple boxes for $600 each...wrapped in his logo saran