Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Stolen Roger Maris belt & plaque

Be on the lookout - this morning a thief broke into the Maris Museum at the West Acres mall in Fargo, ND and stole a jewel-encrusted belt Maris won as the country’s best pro athlete in 1961. The little-known but once-revered S. Rae Hickok Belt is valued at up to $140,000. Also lost was Maris' 1960 AL MVP plaque.

Stolen champion belt

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a shame. It will most likely be sold in a private transaction for pennies on the dollar and never see the light of day again. Terrible

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭
    unreal
  • Options
    Uggggg I *HATE* to read that. God willing they will show up. Sorry to hear about this.
  • Options
    Didn't this same place get broken into like about 3 years ago. Jesus!!
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    There are not enough angry words to express about this theft. Wasn't it a year or two ago that someone broke into Yogi Berra's museum and stole several of his cherished World Series Championship rings? I was going to say that the private buyer might tip off the FBI; however, given that Yogi's rings were never returned or recovered, and now Mr. Berra has died, it must be doubtful to some degree. It begs the question, how could anyone enjoy or cherish anything knowing it should not be rightfully in their "ownership"? Still, threads reporting major and minor thefts keep appearing from time to time.

Oh, this makes me angry! ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    The cops should first interview Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa, who stole his single season Hone Run record back in '98

Seriously, I hope this stuff is recovered soon

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    Sad because they have a nice free display in the mall of some of his stuff...worked my mom to take me there as a kid when we were there
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dnice
    Didn't this same place get broken into like about 3 years ago. Jesus!!

Nope, first time anything stolen since it opened 32 years ago.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad to see this happen.
    With something like this targeted I hate to think that it might have been taken only to melt down and for its other parts. I really hope not! I just can not see anyone buying this knowing it was taken from the Maris family.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: handyman
    Very sad to see this happen.
    With something like this targeted I hate to think that it might have been taken only to melt down and for its other parts. I really hope not! I just can not see anyone buying this knowing it was taken from the Maris family.

I was thinking that too with the gold and jewels...

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Huge loss. The belt will probably be dismantled and sold for scrap.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"