Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

SGC Grading Old Label vs. newer Label

When grading a vintage card (pre-1960), is there any consensus of whether or not the grading was more accurate when they had older flip?
PackManInNC

Comments

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I think it's more consistent but they have now taken into account centering more than they used to IMO. The issue I have with newer graded SGC is they don't measure all cards so a lot of shorties in 71 and 75 get graded, they don't deduct for PD as much as they should and they allow MC backs in grades 7 and higher.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    So then do you think, or others on here, that an old flip on vintage is closer to what PSA would say?
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    No diff. Don't buy from them. Sketchy company.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    In all honesty no, you need to have it in hand to be sure of its condition SGC on post war cards is to inconsistent with PSA to blindly trust they will cross over
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    They are about the same from the small sample I have had (less than 20 mostly pre-war)...that being said I am not lining up to get anything high grade from an old to a new holder to resell.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bobmoat
    No diff. Don't buy from them. Sketchy company.

Not true. I've had cards come back with higher grades cracking out and high value cards crossover. There legit.
  • Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    That is not why they are sketchy.